Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great, underated game

2»

Comments

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

Wish I could weigh in but it seems that they still have not fixed their patcher/downloader cause its going at sub modem speeds, just like the last time I tried downloading the game.

• Cruis.InCruis.In Member Posts: 16

for a good user made mission set on ground and space try this

The Siege Part 1 and The Siege Part 2

part 1 is ground based and part 2 is space based, both very fun.

For what does it profit a man that he gain the whole world, but loseth his soul?

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

After seeing replies to my question about away missions (thanks for the input guys) I decided to give the game another shot. Just getting started and so far so good. It definately feels like the ST universe. With no pressure to "get my money's worth" I can play it casually for a break from the fantasy genre now and then and see what develops. Beaming down to Vulcan was worth the d/load time :)

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

I just watched few vids on yt : Yeah I think Im gonna DL it and try it myself...

I like to be a captain of ship and the switching from ground/space missions looks fun and refreshing ...

Also I somehow really really like the "spell effects" and the UI, it doesnt resemble WoW at all which is a big plus for me (not that I hate wow, I just like changes)

so STO, here I come, I hope you wont let me down at least for few months before GW2! :)

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I don't know, I was into it, until my first instanced mission, where I landed on a planet, and fought my way through a bunch of Klingons or something.. and it was just like, really?  This is the best they could do?  I shudder to think of how bad it was before whatever improvements they've made.

Haven't been able to bring myself to log back in since.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

STO is not that great.That is why it went to free to play.That there sums it all up..

I retired retroactively..Haha

• mikeyb138mikeyb138 Member UncommonPosts: 20

I am not a treky or anything but I do enjoy star trek shows/movies. since it went F2p I gave it a shot and I really did not think it was bad. Might not be a game I will play for years but I am enjoying the feel of the game. If you at least moderately like the ST universe I say give it a shot.

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Popple

STO is not that great.That is why it went to free to play.That there sums it all up..

Spot on.  Kind of hilarious that the server has crashed twice now during the "big" 2 Year Anniversary weekend.  Just goes to show the lack of quality in Cryptic products.  It is a shame really.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by lightningjac

Originally posted by Rusty715

Originally posted by Bunks

I actually am replaying it from its original launch. My wife is absolutely loving it, her and my son both stopped playing a AAA mmo recently released and think this game is better than it. (they are noobs though) :P

But the gameplay is better now, the world was dead at one point but it is pretty busy now. I played this maybe 20 hours when it first came out and quit. Since the F2P release, I think i have logged at least 20 hours and still having fun. Ground combat is still a bit clunky but it has some nice features to it, overall the game is fun and if you are an old star trek fan like my wife is, you will overlook a lot of its flaws.

Are there more ground missons now? I didnt care for the space combat but did enjoy the away missions. There just wasnt many ground missions when I played.

Almost every mission is part space and part ground combat...and then there are the exploration missions which most have ground missions.  There are also group ground instances.

The changes they made to Ground Combat last summer with Season 4 helped a great deal.  Before, it was pretty standard fare, and somewhat lackluster.

I really like the implementation of shooter mode to the game.  It made a big difference, in my opinion, as did the changes to weapon ranges and the increase in the pace of combat.  For those wondering, the video linked below is a tutorial that shows the changes:

STO Ground Combat Changes:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94j3m1WkQgQ

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by Rohn

I actually am replaying it from its original launch. My wife is absolutely loving it, her and my son both stopped playing a AAA mmo recently released and think this game is better than it. (they are noobs though) :P

But the gameplay is better now, the world was dead at one point but it is pretty busy now. I played this maybe 20 hours when it first came out and quit. Since the F2P release, I think i have logged at least 20 hours and still having fun. Ground combat is still a bit clunky but it has some nice features to it, overall the game is fun and if you are an old star trek fan like my wife is, you will overlook a lot of its flaws.

Are there more ground missons now? I didnt care for the space combat but did enjoy the away missions. There just wasnt many ground missions when I played.

Almost every mission is part space and part ground combat...and then there are the exploration missions which most have ground missions.  There are also group ground instances.

The changes they made to Ground Combat last summer with Season 4 helped a great deal.  Before, it was pretty standard fare, and somewhat lackluster.

I really like the implementation of shooter mode to the game.  It made a big difference, in my opinion, as did the changes to weapon ranges and the increase in the pace of combat.  For those wondering, the video linked below is a tutorial that shows the changes:

OOoooooooh it has shooter mode !!! Omzg happiness all over the place! I guess this will be my personal Tabula Rasa 2.0

Please dont let me down STO, Im DLing you right away

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Pigozz

Originally posted by Rohn

OOoooooooh it has shooter mode !!! Omzg happiness all over the place! I guess this will be my personal Tabula Rasa 2.0

Please dont let me down STO, Im DLing you right away

I wished the whole game would have completely left out ground-missions, they serve no purpose what so ever.

But the game shines in the space-combat imho, it really feels good to fly the ship, although i wished it would be slightly more tactical.

Where STOs ground combat needed the shooter-mode, the space-segments need a tactical-mode with point and click combat.

Essentially the game is all backwards.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Never watched star trek in my life; will I like this game?

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Sora2810

quick answer: i don't know

Long answer: maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Seriously, if you decide liking a game is based solely on IP, i'd try looking for an familiar IP that you like, like TOR, LoTRO, AoC, WAR, etc.

If you are asking if you will have problems understanding continuity in STO, then no, the universe is set a lot later than the canon was established in the TV-series and movies.

Yes you might see a few references and familiar names, but its not essential to know anything about star trek, more like a bonus.

The STO story-line is pretty much self-contained with a few call-backs to continuity but nothing you need to worry about.

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Having watched Star Trek is not a necessity to play STO.  Whether or not you will like the game is entirely dependent upon you.  It is free to play now, so give it a try and see for yourself whether you would enjoy it or not.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

I don't think it will matter. But, if you were a Trek fan, you'd notice the tieing of the loose ends from various shows and the most recent movie. The individual story lines are good, but with existing Trek knowledge, they're that much better.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Other then not getting a kick from the series/movie references you might enjoy it more having never seen much of the Star Trek stuff.

I have been enjoying SWTOR ( and RIFT and a few other F2P games off and on) but recently downloaded this because I get a kick out of the starship battles. It's like nautical style broadsiding fun in space.lol.