Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How great is FRAPS?

I'm starting up a new channel called GuildCraft in which I will be making Guild Wars 2 and Minecraft gameplay videos with commentary. (http://www.youtube.com/user/lGuildCraftl?feature=mhee I don't have anything up yet, but plan to upload a few videos by tomorrow! Once I get my new computer, I can start making my own videos about the game.) I'm wondering how well FRAPS records... Do I need a high-end computer to use this program without it lagging, or does it create virtually no lag?

Forgive me in advance, I wasn't sure where to put this post so this was my best guess.

Played: World Of Warcraft, Runescape, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Lord Of The Rings Online, Runes Of Magic, Rift

Comments

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

fraps  should be ok  ive never got lag from useing it  if useing for gws2 then should have a  good pc any how  . all so try gamecam as well  found that  to run even better than fraps

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

My specs are AMD Phenom II x4 955BE 3.2Ghz processor, ATI Radeon HD6950 1GB and 4GB RAM DDRIII. While recording Skyrim with max settings and all high resolution mods, I got no lag while recording at 25 FPS.

What's your specs?

• TheMeddlerTheMeddler Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by thedarkess

My specs are AMD Phenom II x4 955BE 3.2Ghz processor, ATI Radeon HD6950 1GB and 4GB RAM DDRIII. While recording Skyrim with max settings and all high resolution mods, I got no lag while recording at 25 FPS.

What's your specs?

I'm not sure. I'm still deciding on all the parts and whatnot. I'm planning on deciding and ordering everything by next week sometime. It was be a pretty good machine though. It would be the best of the best but definitely good enough to play Guild Wars 2 on max settings, which is good enough for me.

Played: World Of Warcraft, Runescape, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Lord Of The Rings Online, Runes Of Magic, Rift

• VenomaniaVenomania Member Posts: 40

Best way to ensure no fraps lag, or at least minimal. Is have a quad core cpu and fraps onto a seperate drive to your OS/Game install. Do those two easy things and bam, you will be fine

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Venomania

Best way to ensure no fraps lag, or at least minimal. Is have a quad core cpu and fraps onto a seperate drive to your OS/Game install. Do those two easy things and bam, you will be fine

Ditto.

Tons of free HD space with free space defragmentation.  Maybe setup a partition (do ppl still do this?)  just for frapsing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Fraps needs to support other codecs, until then it is useless because it splits up files into 4GB chunks as AVI 1.0 doens't support files bigger than that.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by skullquaker
    fraps  should be ok  ive never got lag from useing it  if useing for gws2 then should have a  good pc any how  . all so try gamecam as well  found that  to run even better than fraps

Both FRAPS and GameCam are good programs with "free" editions. FRAPS gives a better quality video at the expense of filesize. GameCams videos are good quality, too, don't get me wrong. With FRAPS set at half-size (960x540) and no audio recording, a 1 minute game footage video runs about 1GB. GameCam does the same video at about 300MB.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I love FRAPS, but if you're recording tons of stuff you'll want to have a scratch drive or set up WatchFolder to process videos automatically with HandBrake. FRAPS records raw video so it fills up space fast.