Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Immersion

Why is this game so immersive?

On top of that it is way more challenging then all other top MMO's.....

Its a shame Funcom had to release the game when it wasn't done yet. If tehy would have got another year and made the rest of the game on the same level as Tortage at release, it would have crushed WoW.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294
    That game is every bit as terrible today as it was the day they released it. There is nothing good about AoC after you leave Tortage.
  • SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

My opinion is that it's exceptionally immersive to you, but not all that immersive. Certainly more immersive than World of Warcraft, but when it comes to immersion, if WoW were food and immersion was nutrients in it, you'd starve to death.

For me, the fact that they allowed non-RP players onto the only server that was supposed to be RP in the first place ruined it, and now the game is full of players that call their characters "Ipwnnubs" or something equally non Hyboria. It will only get worse with all the F2P players in the population. That kind of name is fine for FPS games and I learned to more or less except it in World of Warcraft, which has never really been an MMO "RP" G to begin with. A great game, but it should be called "MMOG" and leave all pretense of "RP" out of it.

Age of Conan does have great story that continues on throughout your leveling experience. The graphics quality allows for more of a feel of being in a real world, I think. The melee combat feels more immersive to me than other MMOGs, so that in itself goes a long way to making the game feel that way. Part of the feel of the combat for me might have to do with the fact I only played it a few months (some back on release, and some a few months ago), because combat in some other MMOGs can certainly be as involving, but I think I got to the point in them that I didn't think about what I was doing much of the time. (That's one of the reasons I take breaks from the game I'm playing, because it's not near as much fun when you play on auto-pilot.)

;)

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by Robokapp

still trying to fight wow? your game lost, admit defeat and move on.

Any game that bills itself as a "WoW-killer" deserves to lose the player-base fight.

That being said, it certainly doesn't take 12 million accounts to make a game a good game, or succesful. Some of the older games, like Asheron's Call, are great games that are still paying for themselves, and my guess is making money because the publishers wouldn't maintain them if they weren't. In my book, if it makes a profit, or at least manages to maintain itself over time, it is a successful game.

I'm sure everyone that publishes a game wants to get rich off it, and I certainly don't fault them for that. Usually, though, it just allows you to keep working a job that you love to do - and that in itself can be as satisfying, even more so, than having deep pockets.

;)

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

On the subject of AoC's immersive qualities; immersion is a very subjective game atribute. If AoC is immersive it is because the player has an eye and an appreciation for what the game offers, and is not  put off by what it lacks. AoC brings a lot to the table, and much of what it does bring is unique to the MMO genre and gaming in general.

It comes down to what a player values in the game they're playing, or what they expect from an MMO. When I play the game I get a lot of enjoyment from the combat centric gameplay and the overall presentation of the Conan universe. The realistic art style, smooth motion quality, excellent music, beautifully rendered play fields, highly detailed DX10 graphics all combine to deliver a very convincing rendering of Hyboria. The game goes far in suspending unbelief, in convincing the player that some how, some way, this could actually have happened to  flesh and blood people in real life long ago. This is a rare quality for any video game to caputue, and it is a big part of what makes AoC so unique.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by LuckyDucky
    The realistic art style, smooth motion quality, excellent music, beautifully rendered play fields, highly detailed DX10 graphics all combine to deliver a very convincing rendering of Hyboria. The game goes far in suspending unbelief, in convincing the player that some how, some way, this could actually have happened to  flesh and blood people in real life long ago. This is a rare quality for any video game to caputue, and it is a big part of what makes AoC so unique.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Originally posted by LuckyDucky

The realistic art style, smooth motion quality, excellent music, beautifully rendered play fields, highly detailed DX10 graphics all combine to deliver a very convincing rendering of Hyboria. The game goes far in suspending unbelief, in convincing the player that some how, some way, this could actually have happened to  flesh and blood people in real life long ago. This is a rare quality for any video game to caputue, and it is a big part of what makes AoC so unique.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

This is so very true

sadly many people are somehow turned off because after tortage much of the themepark experience is lost...  And you know what made me want to play this game again... watching the first episode of Spartacus season 2 made me want to play this game again...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by AZHokie54

That game is every bit as terrible today as it was the day they released it. There is nothing good about AoC after you leave Tortage.

Can anyone Be more wrong?? *shock*

The Ultimate Breakdown

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

Holy shit, compressed garbage that any waste compactor would pale in envy. Let me guess you never even seen a screeshot of it, right?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That is just not true.

The collision detection that decide if you hit a oponent or not is the best in any MMO and I really wish others would follow and get rid of the tabbing in melee.

Some of the quests are very well written. Of course many others aren´t but some of them are.

The graphics is fine and better than most games, the art fits the theme well and many of the weapons and armors are good.

Some of the dungeons are really fun, like Sanctum.. Of course there is also trainwrecks like that prison island and scorpion cave, but some of them is really good since they revamped them after a few monthsl.

The real problem with AoC is that it after 3 years still have very little content and most games have more at launch than it have now.

I don´t see the fascination for Tortage, after the third time it gets really boring. What other MMO have just a single start zone after 3 years?