Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a mature community.

MertzaSkertzMertzaSkertz Member UncommonPosts: 161

I am pretty much looking for mmos that have a community of mostly adults. If I have to, I might just look for a mmo that has a well placed guild system to where I can find people to group with that are mostly adults. All of the other features do not matter so much to me for this thread, I can narrow down the choices for myself after I find a few that have a mature community. Thanks.

Comments

• CognitoCognito Member Posts: 198

Eve online has a mature community, a lot more mature than most others that I've been in anyway. Just the daunting start probably throws off the younger audience - I'm guessing they want something they can jump right in to.

It's guilds are called Corporations, and the can set up advertisements showing what they do more often than not, and what kind of players they are looking for - even the guilds majority time zone, so you don't end up logging in when they are all in bed / at work.

Put through the personal paces of my crippled fingers.

• MertzaSkertzMertzaSkertz Member UncommonPosts: 161

That is a great suggestion and I actually do enjoy that game, but currently I am looking for a themepark mmo. I forgot to clarify that.

Sadly it's the themeparks that are easy to jump right into - which kind of leads to lots of youngsters.

I havn't been roaming around different MMOs like I usually do (I'm hooked on Eve atm =]), but I'm sure there is one out there with a decent guild system going.

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247

And you're looking for it *here*?

Originally posted by BarelyEin

And you're looking for it *here*?

My first thought - but someone will have a better suggestion than that hopefully.

I might try rift, I am thinking wow and swtor and attracting most of the kids themeparkwise, maybe most of the kids will go there and you have to have a somewhat descent computer to run it.

Well Rift was a big thing cos everyone thought it'd be killing WoW... turned out it was pretty much just another WoW.

SWTOR is more graphically demanding than Rift - but yes, it will be attracting a lot of people, kids included. You will still get a lot of kids in Rift I think.

They are big-ish names, I'd try for something more obscure, or more of a niche - Like EvE, not a lot of people can get their heads round it, so it just leaves the game with the players that the game is catered for. Which works well, it keeps out all the riff raff.

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

I think that LOTR has a very mature community. There is less focus on PVP and those that are in the game love the Lore so it is less twitchy.  I also think Anarchy Online has a mature community because its not a looker like the new games on the graphics but  its very deep as far as character building, implant tweaking and a ton of classes to pick from. Both games should see some love this year.

I cannot take you seriously with that text.

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

You could try looking for a guild outside of a game... like through the guild recruitment thread here.... and seeing what games they play.

I found the guild I am in through the guild recruitment thread over at GW2Guru... one of the requiremts was to be at least 18 years of age.

All of the members are adults, however, we are by no means "mature" so probably not what you are looking for. But some of our associated guilds are quite a bit more "serious" than we are. So they are out there.

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

Originally posted by illorion

You could try looking for a guild outside of a game... like through the guild recruitment thread here.... and seeing what games they play.

I found the guild I am in through the guild recruitment thread over at GW2Guru... one of the requiremts was to be at least 18 years of age.

All of the members are adults, however, we are by no means "mature" so probably not what you are looking for. But some of our associated guilds are quite a bit more "serious" than we are. So they are out there.

This is probably one of the best ideas I've heard today. Kind of forgot about it, not my thing, but could be perfect for someone in your shoes.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

FFXIV has a good community. So does FFXI still after all these years!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• emi56emi56 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Vanguard is your best choice. 

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Lord of the Rings Online has the most mature players of any MMO I have ever played. Usually very helpful and friendly. I am on Elendilmer which is a 24 hour server (USA and those lovable Aussie's). One of the best servers of any game anywhere on the planet (and yes I might be a little biased).

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

LOTRO Hands Down...

I always find myself going to back to play it for a bit and the community is great.  I don't think i've seen a troll or flame ever.  Very helpful forums and such!

Plus it's 100% free for the most part ;)  You can earn points to buy everything in game.  None of it is farming DIRECTLY for points only.  You'll farm for say a bonus on your character and get points for doing that.

Anyway, LOTRO great community.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

The fact is that 'mature community' and 'new game' do not mix. The guy that mentioned EVE is on the right track, but the cutthroat nature of that game will show you people in their 30's who care less about making a good impression than those still in high school. I would still play it, if not for the foul taste of being camped at a station during a wardec in my last corp, over not paying them a ransom to mission freely. Yes, it's full of assholes, because that is the nature of the world. You'll find the same in games like MO, where old-timers tend to play, but still act like assholes.

The real deal is, you're not gonna find that kind of community - though, if one did revolve around a themepark type game, you'd be more likely to find it.... but they don't. Only new blood walks game to game, long before finding one that actually catches their eye, and it would be one where a lot of people agree it's "where it's at".

I'd recommend Wurm Online, but it requires putting up with it's faults (though it is amazing, in MY opinion), and it tends to catch a 'new eye' here and there - which is that occasional player in global chat that almost turns you off from even bothering to play the damned thing in the first place. The rule is that invested players are your best friend, while weekend warriors and the typical 'experiment' player will click with you, but in the end, remind you why you're looking for a good community in the first place.

You need to be able to wheedle out those who are new enough to be a pain in the ass, because those are the ones that ruin games for the most part, but it's hard to tell if they are an example of the actual community, or just some guy trying it out like *you* are.

So, in the end; no suggestions.

Just play what you like and learn to deal with the chaff.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Age of Conan has a pretty good community, but the game is really getting limited in players. There is nothing like a starving community to make people act decently, so most everyone will be helpful. It is F2P up to lvl 80, so you could try it without investing anything.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

If you want a game to have a good community, then you need to avoid games based around killing and looting monsters.  That attracts the wrong sort of players.  And you especially have to avoid games based on open world PVP, as that attracts the worst sort of players.

What?  I'm serious about that.