Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Win7 x32 - with full 4 GB or 8 GB RAM Support (Tweak)

spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Didnt read much in the last months about win7 so it is maybe well known for some, but had an interesting read about x32 systems supporting more (or at least) than 4GB RAM.

So far on of the advantage of the x64 systems is actually the option to use more RAM, but we had already x32 Systems like Server 2000 or Server 2003 with up to 64GB-128GB RAM.

Anyway this page here seems to be interesting who wants to know how to tweak Win7 x32 so you can use your fully 4GB or even more RAM on your system.

Anyone did test this ?

http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/32-bit-ram-barrier.html?lang=EN

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It may allow the OS to access more memory, but the real restriction is the 2G (3 with tricks) per application limit, and this hack won't address that. That is still a limitation even on Server.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I've tried some russian kernel hack for w7 32 once to enable PAE adressing if i remember right.

The machine after recognised my total of 4GB ram, but then had some mysterious bluescreens all the time.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Alright, I did test this and my machine is running with 4GB RAM  instead of 3.xx GB RAM. Got no problems so far, games running fine and loading seems a bit faster due to the higher RAM. Maybe I will try 8GB RAM in the next days to see how it runs with a lot more RAM installed.

This is also an interesting article about activating PAE:

http://pacoup.com/2009/05/27/pae-vs-64-bit-what-manufacturers-dont-want-you-to-know/

• xS0u1zxxS0u1zx Member Posts: 209

If you run Windows 7 x32 you can use the same key and install x64 without issues.   Don't waste your time with half retarded "hacks".     There is a substantial amount of benefits going to a 64 bit system, it's not just about using more ram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

Posted link to save myself a bunch of typing.

Iam not changing my system right now, thats why I try this.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by spizz

Iam not changing my system right now, thats why I try this.

running random hacks or tweaks from the internet, you may be changing your system if you like it or not. Hopefully it works out for you but I wouldn't recommend it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by xS0u1zx

If you run Windows 7 x32 you can use the same key and install x64 without issues.   Don't waste your time with half retarded "hacks".     There is a substantial amount of benefits going to a 64 bit system, it's not just about using more ram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

Posted link to save myself a bunch of typing.

Here is my semi random and semi relevant reply (lol)

Back when Vista was new I had a 32 upgrade version.   Absolutely hated it.   I was dorking around on the Microsoft site and found that they would send me a media disc and the only cost was shipping.   That's how I got vista 64... which oddly I was really happy with.

With any kind of modern hardware I can't honestly see sticking with a 32 bit version especially of Windows7.. instead of using the 64 bit.

I would imagine if you have existing copies of Win7 32.. they must have a similar option if you need the media.   Where you can just enter your key on their site and they will ship you the disc and only charge for shipping.

An OS change to x64 would be no problem, but I dont want to change my running system currently. Maybe in some months I will do that. Until this time I will try this tweak here and see how it runs.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    64 bit azk blizzard why
    .32 bit is limited to 4gb -sharing
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    You can have 8 something of 4gb-sharing
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

PAE while allows to get around system ram limit - at same time it cripple performance a bit and besides it does not resolve problem that single application won't be able to page more than 4 gb anyway.  So that's better than nothing but not really a solution.

Contact Microsof (if you have BoX version) or OEM company for your free 64 bit version if you have 32 bit W7. 

• xS0u1zxxS0u1zx Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by spizz

An OS change to x64 would be no problem, but I dont want to change my running system currently. Maybe in some months I will do that. Until this time I will try this tweak here and see how it runs.

You want 64 bit features but don't want to switch to a 64 bit system...   Do you think about half the shit that comes from your fingers?     Not meaning that as a flame but seriously, you either get them or you don't and modifying a 32 bit system to forcefully accept 64 bit architecture features is probably the dumbest thing you could do.   Never to mind you're going to exhaust 10 times the amount of energy and time instead of just doing a quick backup and format of your hard drive.   Think about it.