Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Duke Nukem Forever of RPG

TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

If you havent played it already I suggest you dont ever and dont throw away $60.   Linear story (you have to select a quest before you even start a server). Feels just like torchlight, which in my opinion is worse than D2.  The skill system is horrific. You feel restricted in combat.  You unlock more skills than you can actually use in battle. They should have stuck with the old skill tree system. The skill tree is one of those things RPGs should have never gotten away from. 

Finally Blizzard dropped the ball this time when they took so long on making a game.

-I am here to perform logic

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Well how can any one poke holes in that review? ok I wont buy it.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Originally posted by Theonenoni

If you havent played it already I suggest you dont ever and dont throw away $60.   Linear story (you have to select a quest before you even start a server). Feels just like torchlight, which in my opinion is worse than D2.  The skill system is horrific. You feel restricted in combat.  You unlock more skills than you can actually use in battle. They should have stuck with the old skill tree system. The skill tree is one of those things RPGs should have never gotten away from. 

Finally Blizzard dropped the ball this time when they took so long on making a game.

It's wise to speak about games after u play them.

Diablo 3 is still in beta so u cant have an opinion about that game till is released.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

with the exception that they deliver real content, and not a shallow hull like 3D realms did.

• Larry212122354Larry212122354 Member Posts: 8

After playing the beta I was a little disappointed in the skill system, I will agree that they should have used a D2 style system, but other than that I liked what I played and blizzard will be getting my $60.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

The skill system is public information, as it is posted on their web site, so my non-beta opinion of it does not breach any NDA.

I think the skill system is fine.  It reminds me of Guild Wars and is similar to The Secret World.  I am not a fan of MMOs that force players to figure out how to press 20+ buttons based on the situation.  A standard keyboard has fewer reachable keys (for actions other than movement) than the MMO industry thinks we can reach, which forces some to use the mouse to activate skills.  Limiting the skills to less than ten ensures I will be able to reach buttons for other functions, like potions. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I said it time and again.

Longer development time =/= better game

Usually when you see the game being developed overly long , you can sure there was a problem of the worst kind. Namely = something was wrong with gameplay.

Which means total re working of entire game (or vital parts). Which is again done in haste, and without firm concept.

I can give you few good examples of games that had this problem. But I think one is enough : "Tabula Rasa" (it was a fantasy game originally)

My only fear is that GW2 is also bit too long in development...

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

Originally posted by reignjuste

It's wise to speak about games after u play them.

Diablo 3 is still in beta so u cant have an opinion about that game till is released.

I can have an opinion because I have played the game.  I didnt give detail to my opinions because I  have no idea if I will breach an NDA or something.  Isnt NDA another word for  things in the game the players wont like but will have to deal with them on release?

-I am here to perform logic

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

There really is no big deal with choosing a 'quest' before you start a server.  You're complaining over nothing.

So, we shouldn't buy a good game because YOU didn't like a skill system that I actually kinda like? 

Try harder...

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I wish they would have kept the old skill tree system also. Other than that I find it exactly as expected. Well worth a buy if you like ARPG games like D2, Torchlight, Titans Quest ect.

For me its a preorder for sure. But I am a huge fan of these types of games.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Thx bro I'll follow yours and Lobo's advice who repeatedly insists here and on other sites games should be done on a CoD cycle.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

I think the skill system combine with runes is incredibly awesome.  You can build your character in like a billion different ways - and that's no exaggeration.   The fact you can only use like 6 of them at a time doesn't bother me in the slightest.  Don't like your skills?  Teleport to town and swap them out, simple.  Makes it to where you don't have to spend the time leveling up a new character which could be rather tedious.

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

I got into the Beta the other day myself. I dont think the game is as bad as the OP makes it out to be. It plays pretty smoothly and is pretty awesome when you are playing with 4 people in a game. The beta is supposed to be pretty easy but you can really feel the mob difficulty ramp up when you have 4 people together. I cant imagine how its going to be when you are in higher difficulties. The skill system is okay. I personally loved the system in diablo 2. From what ive read blizzard is reworking the skill system and runes so the current incarnation has a high chance of not being implemented at release. Dont have a link. iirc was a blue post on the d3 forums.

D3 doesnt have an NDA op. Why do you think so many people are hosting video streams of it and the forums are ablaze with beta chatter? :P

Overall its a pretty good game from what ive seen through the beta and I think its good fun with a full party. The que system in game is really nice as well. pick the quest that you are on and it ques you to find 3 other people to complete the content with. Ive already made a few good friends through it so it definitely gets a thumbs up from me on that aspect.

Saint