Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

swtor to receive new cinematic textures option

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I look forward to the posts complaining about the huge textures choking everyone's machine. Especially from the people who complain that the textures a too low poly.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by lizardbones

I look forward to the posts complaining about the huge textures choking everyone's machine. Especially from the people who complain that the textures a too low poly.

yeah, I don't really get it.  It looks about as good as any other MMO out there, and performs well to boot, especially after whatever they did to improve Fleet performance.

I'll always welcome better though.  I just don't think I'll get reliable FPS with my 5770@1080P.

Originally posted by Robsolf

yeah, I don't really get it.  It looks about as good as any other MMO out there, and performs well to boot, especially after whatever they did to improve Fleet performance.
    I'll always welcome better though.  I just don't think I'll get reliable FPS with my 5770@1080P.

The biggest issue (for me) is the cpu, not the video card. I've got a 5770 as well and it's taken everything I've thrown at it happily. My cpu chokes though. I've lucked into a free Q6600 quad core so we'll see how that goes. I'm currently running an e6750 dual core. Maybe in addition to all the high textures I'm running, I can turn the grass back on. :-)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

The biggest issue (for me) is the cpu, not the video card. I've got a 5770 as well and it's taken everything I've thrown at it happily. My cpu chokes though. I've lucked into a free Q6600 quad core so we'll see how that goes. I'm currently running an e6750 dual core. Maybe in addition to all the high textures I'm running, I can turn the grass back on. :-)

Hmmm... I'm running max settings at 1080P, get grass and whatnot without hitching.  CPU is a AMD 9850 2.5 x 4 @1066 bus.  So it looks like I'm slower per core but have 4 of them.  Maybe games are starting to use those extra cores, now?  :)  If so, the Q6600 should definitely boost things up, then.

I average 30-60 fps in most cases.  Fleet used to divebomb to about 4-10 fps, though it's alot better now.  tempted to upgrade, especially with the news from the OP.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

dont sweat it the various games might say they use the 4 core but sadly the fact they dont speak to intel amd and ms means most of the game are badly optimised for more then one core!and with a game made the way swtor this is even more obvious.

often ms and cpu and gpu get confused as to what swtor wants are!use the default setting of the game dont use gpu setting sadly amd or nvidia driver are competing against one another but often also against various program,in the end it is intel who must be laughing cause by the time both wake up intel will have apu powerfull enough to rival latest medium gpu

Hmmm... I'm running max settings at 1080P, get grass and whatnot without hitching.  CPU is a AMD 9850 2.5 x 4 @1066 bus.  So it looks like I'm slower per core but have 4 of them.  Maybe games are starting to use those extra cores, now?  :)  If so, the Q6600 should definitely boost things up, then.
    I average 30-60 fps in most cases.  Fleet used to divebomb to about 4-10 fps, though it's alot better now.  tempted to upgrade, especially with the news from the OP.

As far as MMORPG go, Rift was the first one to start using more than 2 cores effectively. I'm pretty sure this is because of the tools available more than anything. Maybe AoC would use more cores and that's why it ran like cr@p on everything when it released. :-) I would expect SWToR can utilize 4 cores pretty easily. It is certainly pegging my 2 core cpu a lot more than Rift did.

My upgrade plans really depend on how the Q6600 does. I don't need super high textures...I just need the game to actually play. Right now, it's perfectly acceptable, but a little better would be nice, especially for free. Even if I do upgrade, I'd probably keep the 5770 until you can get something that about doubles what it can do for $150.

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Yesterday someone post a quick fix and really simple. (Install Dx 9c) And at least for me it works.

Not really on topic but I think it's a good opportunity to remember this.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Actually, I wasn't aware.

Why would anyone complain about this? Am I missing something? If they can't run it at the added settings/option wouldn't they still be able play it at whatever specs they are using now?

I actually think the graphics are already  good myself.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

Seriously?  As if nobody has ever been able to run a game on high settings before.

BioWare's dishonesty continues to send me into a nerd rage.  What this article should be titled is "BioWare finally catches up to the rest of the industry and releases "high" settings textures."  People can't seriously be buying into this PR bullshit.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Excited! Game runs and looks great, be nice to see if I can pump it up to look even better.

AMD Quad Core 3.2ghz BE

1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon 6870

8gb DDR3 1333

500gb SATA 6 (3.0) WD BE

Never had a performance issue or a single hitch. Not in fleet, not in PvP, no where.

Well, I DID notice some texture popping and iffy performance, ONCE, on Taris - but that was a known bug with a quest that was patched shortly after launch (supposedly, haven't been back to Taris ever)

Originally posted by Badgered86

Seriously?  As if nobody has ever been able to run a game on high settings before.
    BioWare's dishonesty continues to send me into a nerd rage.  What this article should be titled is "BioWare finally catches up to the rest of the industry and releases "high" settings textures."  People can't seriously be buying into this PR bullshit.

Wait and see what happens when the textures used in the Cinematic scenes gets used in the game itself with 50 people standing around the PvP console.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Theres something going on with the dev groups methink.  Theres been extremely major changes during early beta that werent really needed.  There was a post about it on the forums and the high res textures WERE available during beta but they randomly removed them o.O

I think theyre throwing a fit because that one guy left kind of like how capcom is about megaman..

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Castillle

Theres something going on with the dev groups methink.  Theres been extremely major changes during early beta that werent really needed.  There was a post about it on the forums and the high res textures WERE available during beta but they randomly removed them o.O

I think theyre throwing a fit because that one guy left kind of like how capcom is about megaman..

Is that why the Megaman in SF vs Tekken looks like Mario in cosplay? I know it was based on his first box art but...c'mon...

Also, I don't follow this game too well but, doesn't it also make sense that perhaps these higher options being available in Beta and not in live, means they got feedback during the Beta that high-res maps were causing issues? It's not really an excuse, the option SHOULD be there for people who can handle it, but I'm also having a hard time believing it's as big a conspiracy as people are making it out to be.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

Wait and see what happens when the textures used in the Cinematic scenes gets used in the game itself with 50 people standing around the PvP console.

I would hope that the same thing would happen when I do that in Rift, LotRO, etc., I suffer a bit of FPS loss but the game still runs pretty smoothly.  However, what will likely happen is due to BioWare's sheer incompetence with regards to engine optimization, people's computers might explode. 

Their high quality textures aren't any different than any other game's textures, and frankly they're inferior to the textures used in some other titles even if the character models in said titles are a bit dated.  If they implement them properly, it shouldn't cause any issues.  Then again, for some people just running the game causes a bunch of issues, so we'll see what happens.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

What is there to "get" ?

To me its all about options.   MMO's especially used to be full of them and now they aren't.

If someone turns everything on "Ultra" and then complains that they get 1fps... There doesn't have to be any official response or resources dedicated to that.

Why?

Because the gamer has 3 options..

1) Turn settings down

2) Upgrade

3) Shut up

Its just like the official explination of why "match to chest" was removed.   Because some people turn it on and then thought everyone looked the same...

So instead of saying... Yo you can turn the feature off and they will look different.

They removed it for everyone.

Options are good...

I certainly don't think its up to me to tell the guy running SLI/Crossfire.. 3 cards.. or even quad... and the rest of the system to go with it... that they shouldn't have the option to turn settings up... because the vast majority of us can't afford that machine.

/shrug

Oh and I'm not saying it looks bad... I am simply saying options should be the fundemental basic concept for MMO development. 

After the one of the designers for SWTOR left, they did the following :

Removed the color matching to shirt option.

Changed how stats work.  Instead of str for melee, willpower for force, etc. they made it str for jedi knights, will for consulars, and such.  Presence used to increase healing and companion strength but now its just companion strength.

They changed the mod system.  EVERYTHING used to be modable but they changed it in favor of not having to rely on mods.

They removed SEVERAL different outfit sets.

Added fleet and removed GTN from most planets.  Every planet used to have a GTN and those serve as the social hubs but they traded those for the fleet we have now.

Removed high res textures.

The game was supposed to release in early 2012 instead of december.

Removed PVP gear.

They also removed content as well. Ravaged reconstruction and the quest area for it on Taris as been removed and blocked off, only the cloner droid remains outside where it was.

Removed several titles.

Removed face options.

Removed certain skin tones.

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

Changed how stats work.  Instead of str for melee, willpower for force, etc. they made it str for jedi knights, will for consulars, and such.  Presence used to increase healing and companion strength but now its just companion strength.

They changed the mod system.  EVERYTHING used to be modable but they changed it in favor of not having to rely on mods.

Added fleet and removed GTN from most planets.  Every planet used to have a GTN and those serve as the social hubs but they traded those for the fleet we have now.

Removed PVP gear.

They also removed content as well. Ravaged reconstruction and the quest area for it on Taris as been removed and blocked off, only the cloner droid remains outside where it was.

Removed several titles.

Removed face options.

My guess is that the removed titles, face options and skin tones get added back in for the legacy system so it looks like dev team were working on it  from launch till its release in march :)

Originally posted by Jounar

Removed PVP gear.
    Removed several titles.
    Removed face options.

My guess is that the removed titles, face options and skin tones get added back in for the legacy system so it looks like dev team were working on it  from launch till its release in march :)

The space stations being created and the GTN moved there (with the Flashpoints) was based on people having a lot of trouble navigating to the GTN/Flashpoints so they created the space stations that were easy to navigate and centrally located.

Not sure about the other stuff...they could have just removed a bunch of stuff so they could release in 2011 rather than 2012.

IF they wanted to release 2011, they wouldnt have overhauled the crafting system o.O

And removing stuff that are already there shouldnt really make things go faster.

( o.o)
    (")(")

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

I think the issue people take with the graphics is twofold.

1. It switches around, you go from nice textures in CS of your character, to washed out textures once the CS is over. The game has the textures, and many people with highend systems believe their PC can handle it.

2. There are many people from Beta speaking up the game had these graphics high end graphics deactivated in the beta even though it ran fine on their systems. Which ties in with performance issues on ATI cards(No AA for 6900 cards for example, low framerate etc), some people believe this is due to poor optimization. This splits people again into two groups, the nvidia guys feel they shouldn't suffer because ATI cards suck(im a ati user) and the ATI users think BW should properly support their cards, the cards after all do have the raw power.

Personally i think the textures are a bit on the low side, the artwork is fine, but some more detail would be ok. In all honesty the landscape graphics do not compare to LoTRO, and that game is now how old? People simply expect more progress with games, if my 3 yo PC can run the game at maxxed settings that means maxxed settings are not good(demanding) enough tbh, especially if the game isn't really optimised that well(no complaint though, it just released).

Also yes, a dual core will struggle with the game. Its afaik the first MMO thats really taking advantage of 2+ cores. There is some developer post about it mentioning that some performance problems are due to dual cores and they are working on them, it expressly stated that quad cores would not be affected. It could be something like a thread locking up a core to much due to some bug, you wouldn't notice much on a quadcore but on a dual core it would be very bad, i experienced something like that in a singleplayer game once where the thread responsible for sound was holding stuff up by telling the cpu to wait on responses of it.

• paintchipspaintchips Member UncommonPosts: 107

As I understand the so called High textures we currently have was originally called Medium in beta, they removed the High res textures from the launch client ( they removed much from the launch version, quest, armours, crystal colours, match to chest ect ect) and renamed Medium to High and deleted the Medium option.

I guess they want to call it the cinematic option to make out this is some new and wonderous thing when they are just putting back what they removed from the lauch version of the game.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by paintchips

As I understand the so called High textures we currently have was originally called Medium in beta, they removed the High res textures from the launch client ( they removed much from the launch version, quest, armours, crystal colours, match to chest ect ect) and renamed Medium to High and deleted the Medium option.

I guess they want to call it the cinematic option to make out this is some new and wonderous thing when they are just putting back what they removed from the lauch version of the game.

amazing what companies will do to dupe players since they made a offical annoucment the high res textures were never meant to be in-game(although they were in beta) and then are going to be re-implemented under the name "cinematic textures" and i'm sure fans will praise them for this too.

oh and I so miss match to chest! why the hell remove a optional feature everyone loved

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Actually, I wasn't aware.

Why would anyone complain about this? Am I missing something? If they can't run it at the added settings/option wouldn't they still be able play it at whatever specs they are using now?

I actually think the graphics are already  good myself.

Agreed graphics are very good and game runs great