Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing game, wish I had tried it sooner.

I know this game had it share of problems at launch, but I had always been curious about it. Around the time it came out I just didnt have a good enough computer to run it, so I pretty much forgot all about it. I moved to another country and got out of any online gaming for awhile. I picked it up again and played EQ2 and LOTRO. LOTRO especially couldnt hold my interest for more than a couple weeks, played EQ2 for about 6 months. Then I rediscovered AOC and I couldnt believe how fun it is. Im a former SWG vet, and had pretty much given up on finding a replacement for that after that travesty. But AOC is honestly the best MMO Ive played since then, may even replace it as my favorite MMO.

I must say though that I play on the hardcore pvp blood and glory euro server. And maybe that playstyle just caters to me specifically, though I know it is not all around very popular. The game is fairly difficult at first (at least as MMO's go), I had to roll about 3 different characters before I got one I felt was competitive in both PVE and PVP. Once I got it right, I rolled a ranger and havent looked back. I wouldnt want to play this game as PVE only. That would make it very similar to a lot of other theme park garbage. There are issues with the game, I havent discovered anything major as yet, but my guildies have told me broken mechanics are still an issue, and I believe them. Another thing, when you get into a guild here you see that it has a really solid community. At least on euro servers, cant speak for American ones.

The questing and storyline are thus far top notch. I would say on par with LOTRO which is renowed for its PVE and quest writing. I havent done the crafting yet, apparently it isnt that useful but they're meant to revamp it soon, so looking forward to that.

I suppose a more critiquing player could find many things wrong with AOC. But to someone like myself who plays each game with an open mind, is into PVP, is up for a challenge, enjoys the gritty hard low fantasy lore of the game, and can find the beauty underneath what may need polishing here and there, I would highly recomend this game. While maybe not a powerhouse, this still should be staunch competition on the niche market for more mature serious players who are tired of games being too casual, too forgiving, and almost patronizing. Youll have none of that in Age of Conan, which I believe leads to a much more enjoyable play session.

Comments

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by Inshalla

I must say though that I play on the hardcore pvp blood and glory euro server.

Only 20 players play on that server type at levels 1 to 80 in all of north america at any time.  I suspect not many more play on the EU version as this was 6 months ago.  http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=171832 I rolled on that server type BTW and is a single player server.   Can't have PvP on a single player server or much PvE aside from solo content.

You mention two pve MMOs, lotro and eq2 instead of the PvP MMOs that people play instead of this, aion, rift, wow, swtor. 

Launch has nothing to do with AoC's problems, bad development or lack of any development and bad developer decisions since release is why not many people play.

• InshallaInshalla Member Posts: 75

Plenty of people to play with on EU server. I like pvp, if there was nobody to pvp with I would not be here writing a favorable review about the game. A little common sense here would suffice. I already hit pvp lvl 1 and Ive been playing about 2 weeks.

So what I didnt mention any of those other games? Do I have to play them because thats what everyone else plays? Pffft.  I didnt play them because they didnt interest me. I wouldve played DF but the lag from here would be too bad so its not worth it.

Im fine with the "majority" or whatever not liking the game. As I plainly pointed out it is a niche game. Its not going to be a world beater. How many million people play WoW and Im not at all interested in that shit, you can have it.

And please bro, in the future, posting a link to an official game forum whinging and the usual "fail" posts one after another may seem like a good idea, but to the trained eye it is what it is. A bunch of nerds whinging about a video game who have absolutely nothing better to do then to....whinge about a video game. This is no proof one way or another of a server or games overall well being or quality. The SAME DAMN THING exists on every video game forum on the internet. So stop being so redundant, we know.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

I know this game had it share of problems at launch, but I had always been curious about it. Around the time it came out I just didnt have a good enough computer to run it, so I pretty much forgot all about it. I moved to another country and got out of any online gaming for awhile. I picked it up again and played EQ2 and LOTRO. LOTRO especially couldnt hold my interest for more than a couple weeks, played EQ2 for about 6 months. Then I rediscovered AOC and I couldnt believe how fun it is. Im a former SWG vet, and had pretty much given up on finding a replacement for that after that travesty. But AOC is honestly the best MMO Ive played since then, may even replace it as my favorite MMO.

I must say though that I play on the hardcore pvp blood and glory euro server. And maybe that playstyle just caters to me specifically, though I know it is not all around very popular. The game is fairly difficult at first (at least as MMO's go), I had to roll about 3 different characters before I got one I felt was competitive in both PVE and PVP. Once I got it right, I rolled a ranger and havent looked back. I wouldnt want to play this game as PVE only. That would make it very similar to a lot of other theme park garbage. There are issues with the game, I havent discovered anything major as yet, but my guildies have told me broken mechanics are still an issue, and I believe them. Another thing, when you get into a guild here you see that it has a really solid community. At least on euro servers, cant speak for American ones.

The questing and storyline are thus far top notch. I would say on par with LOTRO which is renowed for its PVE and quest writing. I havent done the crafting yet, apparently it isnt that useful but they're meant to revamp it soon, so looking forward to that.

I suppose a more critiquing player could find many things wrong with AOC. But to someone like myself who plays each game with an open mind, is into PVP, is up for a challenge, enjoys the gritty hard low fantasy lore of the game, and can find the beauty underneath what may need polishing here and there, I would highly recomend this game. While maybe not a powerhouse, this still should be staunch competition on the niche market for more mature serious players who are tired of games being too casual, too forgiving, and almost patronizing. Youll have none of that in Age of Conan, which I believe leads to a much more enjoyable play session.

I'm glad that you are enjoying it, but PvP everywhere is not for me... I like themepark PvE with some PvP zones and arenas/battlegrounds... so I play on normal servers ^^.

what I liked the most in AoC is the amount of detail funcom puts in this game... after playing it, most games now are looking like deserts with some trees.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

Originally posted by rpgalon

I'm glad that you are enjoying it, but PvP everywhere is not for me... I like themepark PvE with some PvP zones and arenas/battlegrounds... so I play on normal servers ^^.

what I liked the most in AoC is the amount of detail funcom puts in this game... after playing it, most games now are looking like deserts with some trees.

I appreciate the detail Funcom puts into the game as well. When I was in the Field of the Dead  I saw this wind chime hanging from some random tree limb. It was made of feathers and bone and it was blowing in the breeze, twisting, turning around. What other MMO or even single player game would bother putting something like that in the game? Their attention to detail is over the top. The motion quality of all the game characters and critters is so smooth and natural, and that same quality and attention to detail is carried down to a wind chime hanging from a tree.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

. A little common sense here would suffice. I already hit pvp lvl 1 and Ive been playing about 2 weeks.

Gratz on kill trading with the other two players on the server?

The post just said the server is dead and was already dead 6 months ago, but after looking at the server forum it is even worse than I imagined, not many posts in 6 months.  Rage server or lol the so called hard core pvp server for EU and the US version death wish are empty with ony a few players total.

No those other games just have players to PvP against and better mechanics for PvP.  You say you like PvP but only play PvE games or the single player age of conan server.  The best PvP mmo was doac and there are probably more players there after 10 years than AoC's PvP servers after 6 months.  There is a reason, AoC is not a PvP game.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Honestly if they would have released the game like this at launch they probably would have retained a lot more people.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

AoC do have some great features, particularly the collision detection in melee is great.

But the game have almost been out for 4 years and it still have very little content. Funcom have been too lazy patching it and the expansion was far too small. I mean a single start zone? That is rather pathetic, particularly when you look at games like TOR and GW2.

I also had a blast for a few months before I ran out of things to do. That is a huge weakness. But enjoy it as long as you have content left, the real problem is that alts are very painful since about half of the content you do will be stuff you already done, raiding isn´t that good and the sieges that should be the backbone of PvP does not work as they were intended.

And where is that drunk tavern brawl we were promised?

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by tares

. A little common sense here would suffice. I already hit pvp lvl 1 and Ive been playing about 2 weeks.

Gratz on kill trading with the other two players on the server?

The post just said the server is dead and was already dead 6 months ago, but after looking at the server forum it is even worse than I imagined, not many posts in 6 months.  Rage server or lol the so called hard core pvp server for EU and the US version death wish are empty with ony a few players total.

No those other games just have players to PvP against and better mechanics for PvP.  You say you like PvP but only play PvE games or the single player age of conan server.  The best PvP mmo was doac and there are probably more players there after 10 years than AoC's PvP servers after 6 months.  There is a reason, AoC is not a PvP game.

I can't beleive that someone who's actually playing the game would have the tenacity to argue with someone who read a forum!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Only 20 players play on that server type at levels 1 to 80 in all of north america at any time.  I suspect not many more play on the EU version as this was 6 months ago.  http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=171832 I rolled on that server type BTW and is a single player server.   Can't have PvP on a single player server or much PvE aside from solo content.

You mention two pve MMOs, lotro and eq2 instead of the PvP MMOs that people play instead of this, aion, rift, wow, swtor. 

Launch has nothing to do with AoC's problems, bad development or lack of any development and bad developer decisions since release is why not many people play.

Have to admit that I laughed FAIRLY hard at that line right there.

The MMOs you listed in red are so far from the "PVP" mold that their PVE hides are starting to glow green from PVE radioactivity.

You MEANT to say DAOC, SWG Pre-NGE, Shadowbane, UO, EQ PvP servers, and Planetside.

Aion, Rift WoW, and SWTOR are the MOST carebear pve-raid end game with "Lite" arena's attached for mediocre Arena combat. They are NOT PVP "MMOs".

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Have to admit that I laughed FAIRLY hard at that line right there.

The MMOs you listed in red are so far from the "PVP" mold that their PVE hides are starting to glow green from PVE radioactivity.

You MEANT to say DAOC, SWG Pre-NGE, Shadowbane, UO, EQ PvP servers, and Planetside.

Aion, Rift WoW, and SWTOR are the MOST carebear pve-raid end game with "Lite" arena's attached for mediocre Arena combat. They are NOT PVP "MMOs".

You had me til you said EQ PvP server... Come on, EQ was not a PvP game either, Lineage was but EQ was just a PvE game with PvP added to it just like the PvP servers on those other games.

• arteskillaarteskilla Member UncommonPosts: 28

Age of Conan is a great game, can't say the same for Funcom who basicly killed off an MMO that tried to revolutionize the genre. At this point AoC is dead because they use the game as testing grounds for Secret World and it is quite obvious too.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Mad because someone likes AOC PvP instead of the pathetic PvP you find in the games you mention,poor you, boo hoo.

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Mad because someone likes AOC PvP instead of the pathetic PvP you find in the games you mention,poor you, boo hoo.

No just pointing out no one plays on that server.  There are people into some pretty strange stuff irl, and it doesn't bother me.  Trying to advertise how great a game is by saying an empty server is awesome is pretty deceptive.

Saying the new hard core PvP servers are great is like saying Skyrim or dragon age is an awesome PvP game.  I have been playing dark souls which is pretty fun for PvP but it follows my point there needs to be players.

Is sad the few hundred people playing can't see a problem with a dead empty ghoast town server when there are so few servers left.  The problem isn't the game is doing poorly but people who roll on those two servers will quit when they find themselves alone, just like people do on the other servers.

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

Had fun with the pve part of the game. made it to lvl 39 before i started to get PKed left and right.

I couldn't get use to the fighting mechanics specialy in PVP.  pressing 1, 2, 3, keys in a sequence to execute a move all the while chasing the dude ur trying to fight didnt sit well with me. Needless to say i was getting my butt kicked left and right. If you failed to push the keys in order, or the enemy ran out of range of your attack then you missed or failed the attack completely.  I didnt want to reroll a avatar on the PVE server because i invested so much time into my main character that i quit. I didnt have the patience to grind thru the 39 levels all over again. 

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I never understood all the grief AoC got.  The graphics is still the best in the industry and it has a realistic feel about it and the combat gore makes everything else look childish.  There are some great missions in the game at all levels and once you master a character (especially assassin) its pretty rewarding. 

As a free game its unbelievable. 

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by chryses

I never understood all the grief AoC got.  The graphics is still the best in the industry and it has a realistic feel about it and the combat gore makes everything else look childish.  There are some great missions in the game at all levels and once you master a character (especially assassin) its pretty rewarding. 

As a free game its unbelievable. 

Well to be fair the game looks and runs way better now than it did at launch. There were just so many game breaking bugs at launch. However part of the wrath that AOC took was that many gamers at the time did not video card that could handle it, and instead of blaming themselves for trying to play it on a subpar machine, was easier to blame the buggy game for the problems.

No just pointing out no one plays on that server.  There are people into some pretty strange stuff irl, and it doesn't bother me.  Trying to advertise how great a game is by saying an empty server is awesome is pretty deceptive.

Saying the new hard core PvP servers are great is like saying Skyrim or dragon age is an awesome PvP game.  I have been playing dark souls which is pretty fun for PvP but it follows my point there needs to be players.

Is sad the few hundred people playing can't see a problem with a dead empty ghoast town server when there are so few servers left.  The problem isn't the game is doing poorly but people who roll on those two servers will quit when they find themselves alone, just like people do on the other servers.

Yeah Im really decieving people here, posting about a game that anyone can try for free and see for themselves what goes on there. You're just bitching and moaning and whatever else you're trying to do, theres at least one, everytime.

You're a complete joke for one to doubt if I like pvp, when your idea of PVP is WoW and whatever new nonsense you're going on about. I never said LOTRO and EQ2 are pvp games I said I played them. Its not my problem if you cant imagine why people would like to try different things. Maybe to someone like yourself PVPers are giant hairy beasts that live at their computer crunching numbers creating formulas to hurt your digitized self in the best way possible, but were pretty much just regular gamers. I play Madden and motosport games too, that should really get your panties in a twist. Try not to have a stroke.

I clearly pointed out as well that the PVP servers cater to me, and probably not a ton of people. But there is enough to pvp with. Ive probably got 50 unique kills thus far, and Im around lvl 35. 200 kills all up. Thats around 15 kills per day. Clearly this annoys you to no end because its different than what you read on da ofishul forams. Your momma shoulda taught you not to take everything you read as gospel, little late in life to be learning that now I assume.

But there is enough to pvp with. Ive probably got 50 unique kills thus far, and Im around lvl 35.

200 kills all up. Thats around 15 kills per day.

Level 35.  I imagine the players you killed made the mistake of rolling on that server not knowing it was empty and will goto another server or quit playing around levels 50-60 like most players.

I have an 80 on the main US hard core PvP server, is empty.   My point is those two servers are devoid of players.  I'm playing SWTOR right now, at level cap and got around 300 world PvP kills, yesterday, and got 20 or so instant que PvP matches.  You can do the same leveling or maxed out in aion or rift, can't even find peopleto kill on those servers at cap in AoC.

Other players are important, no idea why anyone would argue about that.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

Originally posted by Loke666

But the game have almost been out for 4 years and it still have very little content.

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/new_content_since_launch

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

But there is enough to pvp with. Ive probably got 50 unique kills thus far, and Im around lvl 35.

200 kills all up. Thats around 15 kills per day.

Level 35.  I imagine the players you killed made the mistake of rolling on that server not knowing it was empty and will goto another server or quit playing around levels 50-60 like most players.

I have an 80 on the main US hard core PvP server, is empty.   My point is those two servers are devoid of players.  I'm playing SWTOR right now, at level cap and got around 300 world PvP kills, yesterday, and got 20 or so instant que PvP matches.  You can do the same leveling or maxed out in aion or rift, can't even find peopleto kill on those servers at cap in AoC.

Other players are important, no idea why anyone would argue about that.

First of all, stop comparing the US servers to the EU servers. I made a clear distinction in my OP where I refused to talk about the US servers because I havent played on them. To do so would just be breeding ignorance which is what you seem intent on doing. You havent played on the EU servers, you're going off a forum post and you've been ranting about that alone for about 5 posts now. Just dont. Weve already covered this, a couple of times. Youre just not getting it at all.

Again, stop speaking about MY experience on a server that YOU havent played on. Its just stupid. Its boring. Contains no real logic or reasoning.

For the final time, theres plenty of people on my server to PVP. Cry and bitch all you like. If you want to bring something else to the table feel free to do so and Ill debate it, otherwise you obviously have really nothing to add here. Dismissed.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Glad that you, the OP, likes it so much.

I cant really say the same, from what I and many players been through, since we were so anticipated from the start with AoC vanilla. Lots of disappointments we went through.

And I figured: "Doesnt matter - come back, its great now!" wont work. An MMO binds emotions to it - you had bad emotions once with a particular game - you wont lose them.

There might be an exception in case your bad emotions get so drasticly blown away by much better ones - so to say a huge content overhaul and 2-3 addons at once - maybe. But not like this. Sadly.

And on top of that: The German community I have been was totally unacceptable. Harassing and keeping people away from content massively. You wont believe it: But the excessing harassment on newbie players in Tortage Underhalls and White Sands (ON THE GERMAN SERVERS) were the reason why Funcom removed the PvP-status from these zones completely.

It was SO contra-productive that new players litteraly FLED from AoC due to this grieving. Unbelievable, eh? But yes, it was. Age of Conan PvP is so massively hardcore to your emotions if you take it too serious.

Never experienced it that bad in any other MMO before. And I used to and still do love PvP, even fair-ganking and am playing MMOs since M'59.

Originally posted by 4bsolute

Glad that you, the OP, likes it so much.

I cant really say the same, from what I and many players been through, since we were so anticipated from the start with AoC vanilla. Lots of disappointments we went through.

And I figured: "Doesnt matter - come back, its great now!" wont work. An MMO binds emotions to it - you had bad emotions once with a particular game - you wont lose them.

There might be an exception in case your bad emotions get so drasticly blown away by much better ones - so to say a huge content overhaul and 2-3 addons at once - maybe. But not like this. Sadly.

I can understand. Theres been plenty of MMOs that Ive played for a few weeks and it just does nothing for me. Maybe if I played AoC at launch I wouldve felt the same way as you. As usual in life and business its mostly about timing. I think I just picked up the game at the right time to really enjoy it.

I certainly wasnt trying to get anyone to come back to the game. I do think that if more PVPers tried it they would like it, but if they dont want to thats their loss. Its definitely not perfect. Cant say Im too happy about the massive exp grind to get PVP items. The game could use a few more lowbie areas. Thats really all I can speak on now, Im sure Ill think of more as I play more.

As I said I came from SWG so Im used to dealing with little content, class imbalances, broken mechanics. You name it. Maybe that stuff just doesnt bother me at all.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Ok mister knowitall, so you call him a liar? Pffff.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Mister Inshalla, I have played AoC for 3 years and love it still. I have just had to accespt though that people that have not played the game for ages drop by and badmouth me every know and then though, for liking AoC. Weitdest fcking phenomena I have ever experienced. people ar pissed that their hardware or network is too glitchy to handle this double D lady of a MMO. Best MMO, still it takes a man to run her.

AoC = Best MMO for me.

The Ultimate Breakdown