Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Congratulations

"It's official: As of yesterday, Star Wars: The Old Republic has 1.7 million active subscribers and has sold 2 million copies. That's good news for fans of the game, but it's also good news for both BioWare and Electronic Arts. Apparently, it's seen as very good news for Electronic Arts, as the company's stock has gone up by 6.1% in the announcement's wake. The stock closed on Wednesday at $18.44 a share and closed today at $19.56, an appreciable gain for the company and a sign of good health."

Taken from Massively.com, written by Elliot Lefebvre.

They've made a decent game, got a strong subscriber base, and are making a proft. 

Bioware dun good.

Comments

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

waiting on the platform for the troll train to pull in.

• PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231

I really wish i could congrats them but even though they have 1.7 subs in the ends right now only 1 mil log in. by my count even if 2 mil boxes were sold only half are actually logging in.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Congratulations on not noticing the 42 page thread on this same topic that has been running here for several days.

I'm all trolled out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by PKJackCrow

I really wish i could congrats them but even though they have 1.7 subs in the ends right now only 1 mil log in. by my count even if 2 mil boxes were sold only half are actually logging in.

ONLY 1 million?! ONLY 1 MILLION?  Really?  That's the standard we've reached when we say ONLY 1 million players logging into an MMO? ROFLMAO

• PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231

Sure i guess a 50% loss makes you feel good, but lets wait til the 3rd month like we do with all MMO's and see where we are. I mean if there is 50% loss at one month i doesnt feel good at 3.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by Kyleran

Congratulations on not noticing the 42 page thread on this same topic that has been running here for several days.

I'm all trolled out.

The massive thread doesn't actually include EA's stock. 

That's why I posted this here :)

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Originally posted by nikoliath

waiting on the platform for the troll train to pull in.

me too!

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Originally posted by I_Return

19.30 -0.27 (-1.38%)

Funny thing, SWTOR had nothing to do with the stock going up, it had to do with cuttig the quarter "LOSSES" by 1/3 .

Massively's article is  not accurate and is pretty much making up how the market works.

Games like Battlefeild 3 are what helped cut the  negative losses, not SwtoR which is losing money  on a hourly basis becuase of the under sales and overly large development team.

Yay we are now boarding!

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by I_Return

19.30 -0.27 (-1.38%)

Funny thing, SWTOR had nothing to do with the stock going up, it had to do with cuttig the quarter "LOSSES" by 1/3 .

Massively's article is  not accurate and is pretty much making up how the market works.

Games like Battlefeild 3 are what helped cut the  negative losses, not SwtoR which is losing money  on a hourly basis becuase of the under sales and overly large development team.

Source?

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by PKJackCrow

Sure i guess a 50% loss makes you feel good, but lets wait til the 3rd month like we do with all MMO's and see where we are. I mean if there is 50% loss at one month i doesnt feel good at 3.

Got any proof that only 1,000,000 of the 1,700,000 are only logging in? No. Then don't spread lies.

EA has actually said "MOST of the active subscribers are playing." I would say that probably means more than 1,000,000, closer to the actual 1,700,000. 

But then again, that's only an educated estimation, unlike yours.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Valua

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm all trolled out.

The massive thread doesn't actually include EA's stock. 

That's why I posted this here :)

Actually, there were 6 more threads along the same lines, and they're all locked right now, I suspect this one may befall the same fate. (/waves to Amana)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Read over the wording carefully. Notice how the wording is a bit jumbled? Its a nice ploy to list that many active subscribers when there are actually far less then that. Play on words to make things look better then they really are. Not saying of course they are doing bad, but there is no where close to that 1.7 mill actives on there that payed beyond the first month. 

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

First, there is no indication of how many of those 1.7 million are resubbing after their first free month, period. EA is not releasing that information.

Second, the over 2mill to 1.7mill number is simply the number of people who bought the game compared to the number WHO NEVER EVEN STARTED PLAYING. 1.7m is not the number of players out of 2m that continued to subscribe.

Third, assuming a phenomenal retention rate of over 75%, that leaves around 1.2 mill retained subscribers going into the second month, not including any new customers.

Finally, these sound very similar to AoC, WAR, and Rift numbers. All three of these games had varying success. Rift is still going strong as a P2P, AoC struggled, and WAR was essentially wiped out.

So, yes, congratulations to EA for having a decent launch, but I think I'll hold off on celebrating SWTOR's success until after we get some real retention numbers in the next few months.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

If the reason you're creating a new thread is because the large thread doesn't have the stock info, you can always post it in there :). There's a stock thread now anyhow.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/339812/More-Than-17-Million-Active-Subscribers-2112-EA-Conf-Call-Discussion-Thread.html for financials.

Locking this as a duplicate topic.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.