Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Dorkside - An Honest Review

Comments

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

lol look its some of the same people that rush to every SWTOR post that doesn't basically say "SWTOR sucks, its the most horrible, terrible, god awful MMO ever made" in order to make sure everyone knows they think SWTOR sucks and its the most horrible, terrible, god awful MMO ever made.

as they say "haters gonna hate". i just don't get this culture of MMO players that need to stalk and live on a MMO they hate posting on every positive post about how much they hate it. its like ok you don't like it, we get it now move on to something you do like. there are quite a few MMOs i don't like (WoW, Darkfall, Warhammer ..... ) but im not sitting on their sub-forums of MMORPG just to make sure everyone know that i don't like the game.

I would rather actually be playing a game and discussing a game i do like. do you really think people are going to see your post and say "wow i am soo not going to play SWTOR (or whatever game) because that guy said he thinks its bad". I mean anyone who has been around MMOs before knows the MMO community is one of the whiniest, b***iest and self absorbed communities around.

anyways i am in the same boat as the OP, i was really surprised how drawn into the story I am and i think the reason for that is that im lazy and I never read the quest stories in other games for basic quests (hell not even the main quests) but in this game thanks to the voice acting i don't have to read anything and i like Coyote said I can have my thug bounty hunter insult every quest giver i come along.

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

Sounds like he'd crap his pants if he had to play EQ pre planes of power. 

While the story is good on some classes, on others like consolar and knight it's really cliche. not to mention end game is exactly what you have been playing for 7 years on other MMOs.

• NURTANURTA Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by lalartu

I thought it was supposed to be funny? He promised the funnies!

Not funny.......ever.

• StSynnerStSynner Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by precious328

I can think of about 50 more weaknesses.

This read is very biased.

I was thinking the same thing. I mean he basically said that everyone he worked with was giving biased reviews:

"The reviews I've seen always seem prefabricated, or biased in the fact that they unfairly lean towards one side or the other in attempt to gain readership or appease sponsors. Me? I simply don't care enough to lie. Besides, if I poke the bear a little too much and the people who pay me get mad, I can always claim that it was all just a joke."

Leads me to believe that he knows his co-workers are writing prefabricated, biased reviews.

I thought "Oh... this might be good..."

BAM!!!! Same shit as EVERY. OTHER. REVIEW. ...these kids are either playing a different game then we are... or have no idea what they're talking about...

• Overfiend138Overfiend138 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Rewrite the article when you get to end game.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Im sorry to say this is your poorly written script "meh" yet.

I always have fun reading your comments, your elaborated single-shot punch lines, but this time i felt it was a bit short and shallow.

I really dont care about swtor, maybe it will grow to be a great mmorpg, or maybe it already is and im just too bored to see any fun in it, but i was hoping for a bit more of TNT from you. I was hoping to see you put the cows in the wagon and the farmers pulling it, for a change. But, well, if it is your take on the subject i guess it is as valid as the next one.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Not one of Coyote's best articles, he should have mocked it more, even the parts that he liked....

You're thinking of Zero Punctuation.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Sandor_PhrogSandor_Phrog Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by NURTA

Originally posted by lalartu

I thought it was supposed to be funny? He promised the funnies!

Not funny.......ever.

You'd think they'd have figured this out by now.  It's been months.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Kyleran

Not one of Coyote's best articles, he should have mocked it more, even the parts that he liked....

You're thinking of Zero Punctuation.

Hahaha oh man great review by that guy...made me laugh big time. It actually made me want to buy the game so i can mock it and laugh about it.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147

Coyote, this doesn't feel honest, there see that? That's honesty! I can honestly say it wasn't funny either. Your right the ui, space combat suck, so does do many other revolutionarily redone facets of the game. I can honestly point out the character creation, graphics, repetitive gameplay, poor class design, blatant poorly copied game mechanics, the fact that I can be light side good bad guy (oxymoron) with dark influences (completely at odds with ip). That's a few, honestly best part of the game is the ip (star wars, cause without that in the title or class names I couldn't tell) and server quality. Other than that's this game is bargain bin quality. HONESTLY!

Sic Luceat Lux

• Sandor_PhrogSandor_Phrog Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by StSynner

I was thinking the same thing. I mean he basically said that everyone he worked with was giving biased reviews:

"The reviews I've seen always seem prefabricated, or biased in the fact that they unfairly lean towards one side or the other in attempt to gain readership or appease sponsors. Me? I simply don't care enough to lie. Besides, if I poke the bear a little too much and the people who pay me get mad, I can always claim that it was all just a joke."

Leads me to believe that he knows his co-workers are writing prefabricated, biased reviews.

BAM!!!! Same shit as EVERY. OTHER. REVIEW. ...these kids are either playing a different game then we are... or have no idea what they're talking about...

[mod edit]

Did it ever occur to you that if all the reviews are saying the same thing, and you disagree with it, that maybe they're right and you're wrong?  Holding a minority opinion does not automatically make you a virtuous underdog.  [mod edit]

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by ropenice

Can you skip at least one TOR thread? Never seen such dedication.

You have to remember, he is very hurt in the rear about his 15 dollars.

Need I remind you of his earlier period when owed for four weeks, twenty papers and owed two dollars? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdF_Vo4B6Ms

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• LittlebombLittlebomb Member Posts: 152

I guess the reviewer didn't notice?

Ton's of load screens

Completely instanced MMO, literally completely instanced. Almost as bad as GW1.

No Combat log (have fun raiding with no combat log trying to figure out where the damage is coming from.)

No chat bubbles

Horrible ability lag (that is still there becuase i've been following it on the forums, it's why i quit in the first place)

Abilities that simply won't ever fire off.

Open worlds that feel devoid of all life and personality. (npc's don't even move)

RNG system for pvp gear (enjoy multiple set pieces over and over and over again.)

All servers are 4 to 1 in Empire's favor.

HORRIBLE UI (seriously bad, fire the UI team)

Buggy, (especially once you hit end game dungeons. One night me and some friends had to spend 15 minutes sjust trying to figure out how to even enter a hard mode dungeon, We must have had to drop group 5 times to finally get the instance to let us in)

Tons and I repeat tons of CC in pvp. MDPS have fun with that.

Servers that say standard are actually totally empty if you're a Republic player.

Silent management style of customer service. Good luck ever talking to a human being.

I could go on and on.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

I am truely saddened by some of the replies here. I suppose this really does show that opinions are only respected by those who agree with it. Not trying to troll but it is very amusing to watch the Coyote catch agro because he won't drink the kool-aid.

The game has flaws but it's mostly fun. Is that so hard to deal with?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Sandor_Phrog

A friend of mine's father used to say "If you're talking to a group of people and it seems like most them are being assholes, maybe it's you."

Did it ever occur to you that if all the reviews are saying the same thing, and you disagree with it, that maybe they're right and you're wrong?  Holding a minority opinion does not automatically make you a virtuous underdog.  Sometimes you're just being a jackass and can't (or won't) see it.

Minority opinion?  Really?  Even the official forums are full of negativity, and you need to have a sub to post there.  Imagine how all the gamers who aren't subbed must feel about it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

A friend of mine's father used to say "If you're talking to a group of people and it seems like most them are being assholes, maybe it's you."

Did it ever occur to you that if all the reviews are saying the same thing, and you disagree with it, that maybe they're right and you're wrong?  Holding a minority opinion does not automatically make you a virtuous underdog.  Sometimes you're just being a jackass and can't (or won't) see it.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-stupidest-things-that-make-people-proud/

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Erm, why is it wrong to expect capped level content heck Id be happier if the crafting was more meaningful than sending virtual slaves to do what should be my work for me...

Its not like its hard to achieve 50 most people I know with a job a girlfriend a second girlfriend and a family + pets have gotten there.  What they havent been able to do is roll and have a second 50 which is what most people I know with 5 hours game time a day since launch have managed to do (ITS COLD OUTSIDE).

So bye bye TOR until you provide more meaningful stuff to do and better mmorpg systems did I mention the reality of an actual virtual world and not a co-op style zone in game.

TOODLES>

This guy has the review bang on http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5323-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic

Oh and one more thing weren't mythic devs supposed to be working on this as well? Where the hell is the proper RvR at least give me an ATAT to pvp with FGS!

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Leethe

I am truely saddened by some of the replies here. I suppose this really does show that opinions are only respected by those who agree with it. Not trying to troll but it is very amusing to watch the Coyote catch agro because he won't drink the kool-aid.
    The game has flaws but it's mostly fun. Is that so hard to deal with?

Yeah, true. Well. at least they're honest about it in a 'I only praise and accept reviews that reflect my opinion else they're utter fail' kinda way :-D

Originally posted by Littlebomb

All servers are 4 to 1 in Empire's favor.

Definitely, DEFINITELY untrue. Why do some people always have to resort to this kinda hyperboles and extreme exaggerations? O_o

Seriously.

PvE and RP servers are for the most part fairly equal in faction size, sometimes Republic is a bit larger, sometimes Empire. PvP servers have mostly Empire as larger faction, but as good as all the times in a 1 to 1.3-2.5 ratio at max. That's facts and reality for ye.

Funny comic relief review, could've been sharper and wittier, could've been lamer. Was ok.
  • CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by ropenice

Can you skip at least one TOR thread? Never seen such dedication.

And he achieves 1st reply many times. This is love for sure.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

List them.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Originally posted by Vhaln

Minority opinion?  Really?  Even the official forums are full of negativity, and you need to have a sub to post there.  Imagine how all the gamers who aren't subbed must feel about it.

and heres the thing you may not know, those that frequent the forum are in the minority. most players are too busy playing the game to bother with b****ing on the forum.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

"Pro: Good gameplay"  Love how its a pro and yet there is nothing really given stating this and it feels so tiny and half assed of a section. It seems as if it belongs in a 'meh' section rather then a pro section. Way to forced it looks like to me.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Ecoces

and heres the thing you may not know, those that frequent the forum are in the minority. most players are too busy playing the game to bother with b****ing on the forum.

People always say that, but it doesn't even make any sense.  It's true that most people don't do forums, but that goes just as much for people who hate the game and quit, as it does for people happily playing, and people everywhere in between.  It's really neither here nor there.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68

Two thumbs up on the review. Nough said

Just My 2 Lunars

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by Vhaln

LOL!

WoW forums were always full with QQers and guess what, they still have millions of subscribers. People even posted there anouncing their departure from the game (as if someone would really care).

The more subscribers, the more complainers.