Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

64 bit demistified(a bit)

drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1073673-64-Bit-WoW-A-technical-examination-simplified!/page3 

i ll had to this issue that most who will benefit most will probably be dx11 user ,and yes technicly you will be able to run in ram only if you have enough of it ,paging file reduced means all kind of improvement.but the silly idea of double the performance is wrong. it just means more data can be crammed into ram.but remembermost are still at 4 k so if i file is say 5 k then you get one part of 4 k and another part of 5 k.i sure hope blizzard colled microsoft for help on going from 32 to 64 cause if they didnt we might not like the 64 bit after all!but one thing is sure the game will be insanelly stable in 64 bit!

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Originally posted by drbaltazar

but one thing is sure the game will be insanelly stable in 64 bit!

Sorry, but the amount of bits doesn't have much anything to do with stability. Either the program has bug or hasn't bug, if it doesn't have it's going to run even on 8 bit system, if it has it won't run even if the system has 128bits.

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by Vrika

Originally posted by drbaltazar
    but one thing is sure the game will be insanelly stable in 64 bit!
    Sorry, but the amount of bits doesn't have much anything to do with stability. Either the program has bug or hasn't bug, if it doesn't have it's going to run even on 8 bit system, if it has it won't run even if the system has 128bits.

Actually most crashes are related to video card driver instability, or out of memory issues - either via memory leak or just pure resource usage. Giving an application 64bit 4gb address space limit as the ceiling for it's memory crash is almost guaranteed to "bandaid" over any memory leak or resource usage shenanigan related crashes.

TLDR
    Yes, 64 bit will be more stable.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ok i ll adds this here so not to cluter with another thread!64 bit is back only (4 hour ago)make sure to follow instruction either via directly going to the link i post your own way or use the link i provide.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3988300405#1 

ye they had to remove it yesterday cause of handshake issue but looks like it is fixed now if any will use it and stream live please put link here so we can view ty! have fum in dx11 64 bit wow!!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Sure hope other games will follow.

It is ridiculous that 64-bit of any game is real rarity.

How many years since last 32-bit only CPUs were being released? 6? 8?

All current CPU's even most budget ones are 64 bit capable.

Some games could really use ability to adress more memory easily...

So while I don't care about WoW I am happy they do that cause other (both mmorpg and mmo and single player and all that) will follow. Hopefully.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

What you think is blizzard plan.some of you guys said that this was just a marketing stun from blizzard.really they gain access to huge amount of ressource can ask player to have 16 gb of ram to rise various quality by a lot come pandaria.and yet there would be no reasreason for blizzard but just to add another acronim.i dont buy it .if i went to all this trouble to get 64bit in the most popular mmo on the planet(p2p)i wouldnt do it just for the lol.i would do it cause i had a plan for this techno come come mist. .what can we expect in mist that would make use of 64 bit