Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can discuss SOPA/PIPA but not ACTA? Why?

ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Why is it we couldn't discuss SOPA/PIPA, then we suddenly were allowed to only to turn around and say "Can't discuss ACTA? these are all the same damn things, in different places under different names. WTF mmorpg.com?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/339268/SOPAPIPA-stopped-Thats-great-What-about-ACTA.html

Just give it to me straight, if you only care about americans say so.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I don't care about political discussions outside the scope of internet relations (presidents, congressmen, etc) But these things directly affect the net and even this website. Ban other discussions unrelated to this all you want, but not letting people talk about these acts here, where many people come for information on many things is only hurting yourself and the net's. surely if thousands of websites saw how this could affect them and did the blackouts in response to the acts could see it, you can too...

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I would really like an answer to this as well.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

sopa/pipa/acta cant be considered political subject that being said the issue is often politician will push to make it a political agenda.like obama voted for it etc and this i agree is a nono cause it is aneverending story!

but if it stay directly on topic of those i mentionned earlier ,yes it need to be discussed (just forget the polical side)

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

SOPA/PIPA was only allowable to talk about AFTER it was obvious that they were going to fail in Congress, not before. So when ACTA is hopefully going to fail across the pond then we will be able to talk about it.

Pretty simple.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Originally posted by bartoni33

SOPA/PIPA was only allowable to talk about AFTER it was obvious that they were going to fail in Congress, not before. So when ACTA is hopefully going to fail across the pond then we will be able to talk about it.

Pretty simple.

that....doesnt sound simple to me at all....

The USA acts failed because of all the attention people brought to them on the web. This is no different. We need to talk about it, understand it, and help others understand it too.

mmorpg.com even did an article on these acts themselves! Which is good! But why can't WE talk about them???

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by Toxia

Pretty simple.

The USA acts failed because of all the attention people brought to them on the web. This is no different. We need to talk about it, understand it, and help others understand it too.

mmorpg.com even did an article on these acts themselves! Which is good! But why can't WE talk about them???

You are correct.

It's simple because this site does not want to run afoul of the law. Try discussing Torrenting on this site or File-sharing.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Pretty simple.

In fact mmorpg.com did several articles on SOPA...

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/6007

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/6019

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/6054

It would seem those fall into a political state if I follow there guidelines.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Why is it we couldn't discuss SOPA/PIPA, then we suddenly were allowed to only to turn around and say "Can't discuss ACTA? these are all the same damn things, in different places under different names. WTF mmorpg.com?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/339268/SOPAPIPA-stopped-Thats-great-What-about-ACTA.html

Just give it to me straight, if you only care about americans say so.

That thread was locked as well. Here's the deal: if editorial writes an article about a subject, whatever it may be, you are allowed to discuss it within the confines of that comment thread.

The creation of new threads of religious or political nature will not be allowed. Injecting the same sort of subject matter into existing threads is also not allowed.

I hope that clears things up. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.