Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Myst Online: URU Live: First Impressions Overview with Ripper X

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Myst Online: Uru Live is an open source massively multiplayer online adventure game developed by Cyan Worlds. The game is the multiplayer component to the 2003 video game Uru: Ages Beyond Myst. Like Uru, Myst Online takes place in 2000's New Mexico. In our latest exclusive video we offer you Myst Online: URU Live - First Impressions Overview with Ripper X. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Video says: This video is private. Why?! :(

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273

says video is private... wtf?

EDIT: Causs beat me to it

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i guess only mmorpg employe can see this video !why bother with an article then ?MIKEB!you might want to clear this clutter up and find out what is up!

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

OMG the video is private!! ..noooooo! its the end of the world, I hate mmorpg.com! I hate it, I hate it so much im going to leave a one liner wtf and tell them is bullshit! clean up this mess Mike!

wtf..bullshit..

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Off topic...is this the only multiplayer Myst game? Also, is this the only MMO Myst game? Last, I thought this game was shut down. If this is the same game, was it re opened?

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Hehe, I actually thought the message about the video beeing private was hillarious :)

Not to mention all the trolling about it beeing private!

I mean, it wont break my life, and I actually might go back to see it again if they make it public!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Originally posted by Jimmac

Off topic...is this the only multiplayer Myst game? Also, is this the only MMO Myst game? Last, I thought this game was shut down. If this is the same game, was it re opened?

No it was rereleased open source and they are running it entirely through donations, no cash shop or anything like that. It's actually a really cool game and last time I played it there seemed to be plenty of people playing around on it. I mean it wasn't WoW in terms of population but it sure wasn't too dead.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This is the only multiplayer/online version of the game. It did shut down, but was reopened, mostly be the fans of the game. Cyan is open sourcing, or has open sourced the game. It is possible for fans to create Ages for the game as well.

It's pretty cool. I've got it installed, but I don't play too much. I'm kind of stumped on some of the Ages and haven't gone online to get any solutions.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Its the same, it was shutdown and now back up, can use it freely , pretty much a tittle that went under the radar like so many niche games. its partial open source now.

• JPaterson84JPaterson84 Member Posts: 11

Fail article. Good job as always.

Freelance writer, majority of work in the video game and entertainment industries.
    http://www.jpaterson.net/

• JimMorenoJimMoreno Member UncommonPosts: 21

Hey, Ripper X! Glad you finally found your way into URU, welcome! I've been playing for a couple years, and loving it. The no combat and actual mentally-challenging puzzles are a great refreshment after playing so many dull and repetitive MMORPGs.

If you like it enough to continue playing, check out the official forums for all the help you'll need, starting with this post: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22388 . Game on! 

Jim H. Moreno

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Myst was an amazing game, still got my original CD's somewhere. It's from a time when there were no wikies and you had to figure everything out yourself with a pen and some paper.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

I beleieve this version has been in operation now for a number of years. "First immpressions" "Live News" is way behind the times. It aint exactly new(s) at this point. But hey if it encourages more people to know about it, and become active parts of the community alright then.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Uru and its expansions is a great game, having a totaly free online version to play around in is fantastic. I did give it a shot once, but just as Ripper X did I spent some time getting lost and confused, It had been a while sice I played the original. If you like puzzles and beautiful environments it's well worth taking a look. Story and voice acting are great too, very melancholy vibe about lost civilisation.

Okay thanks for the replies! Last question:

I'm almost done with Riven right now (I think). I hate spoilers and I also hate playing games out of order. After which game in the Myst series should I begin to play Myst Online? Should I beat every other offline Myst first, then play Myst Online?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

@RipperX - Move your mouse to the bottom of the screen to get options that will let you change the graphics options for the game or even exit out of it.

** edit **
    I think the URU game is the last in the series.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by lizardbones

@RipperX - Move your mouse to the bottom of the screen to get options that will let you change the graphics options for the game or even exit out of it.

** edit **

I think the URU game is the last in the series.

Thank you Lizard! @Jim Uru was very beautiful and I did like the fact that the point of the game was to explore and figure out puzzles, definitely different, I'll be back friend! :)

Best,

Ripper X

• gabormgaborm Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Don't forget the MMO part. You can go into those so called ages with friends and solve the puzzles together.
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    I'd totally forgotten about Myst Online or URU, I thought it had been cancelled before it even started right. Nice to see it's still around, when I read up on the plans for Myst Online, it looked like it could be an intriguing MMORPG experiment.
  • LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Ripper X you re an odd freak. That erection comment, now explains the perv voice.

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by Leucent

Ripper X you re an odd freak. That erection comment, now explains the perv voice.

Why thank you! :)

Well I personally can't wait to finish playing through all the single player Myst games so that I can dive into the Myst Online world and see if the community and gameplay are both pretty good.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

Heh, thanks for the preview.... but this looks every bit as boring (and exasperating) as the original Myst games. But for all you Myst fans, more power to ya. :)