Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very simple

Very simple question:
Is Guild Wars worth $50? I am really bored because I just quit WoW, and I need a game to play........so put out your opinions.

Comments

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

If you're going to play it 24/7 the no, it isn't worth it. If you're just going to play in 1 to 2 hour sessions, then it is worth every penny. Also don't forget that most MMORPGs cost about 4X that amount for just on year of play. You can play GW forever on that $50.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

keep in mind there will be 3-4 expansions per year which you are going to have to pay for.  So all in all it's a smaller monthly fee than most MMOs, but a fee none the less. 

Joined - July 2004

• wooterzwooterz Member Posts: 23

Valid point both of you. Thanks for putting the economical advantages to the game. But, as far as gameplay and stuff.....is it good, or is it to much like all the other games?

• MaxxxMaxxx Member UncommonPosts: 389

if you want a game with a community...
    don't play GuildWars

• wooterzwooterz Member Posts: 23

What do you mean, what is the community like?

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

I have several friends who bought and play(ed) Guild Wars. All of them say they feel like they wasted $50.

• doobsterdoobster Member Posts: 736
    I also have several friends who got it , and quit a week later from boredom.
  • ZeroDepthZeroDepth Member Posts: 142

Guild Wars is a good game, but it doesn't have much replayability after you ascend, other than GvG, PvP, or farming.

In 2-3 weeks of playing the game a lot, you'll max out your lvl and unlock most of the locations in the game. Then your oly challenge will be to either to farm for better equipment, or pvp/gvg, and try to ibtain 15k armor or fissure armor.

Despite some of these setbacks, GW has among the most brilliant environments and gfx appearance in online games that I've seen. Good storyline as well.

GW is a great short term game, but if you're into lvling for long periods of time and questing a lot, GW isn't for you.

It's about the best damn PvP I've ever played in an RPG. Yes, it even beats the PvP servers for Neverwinter Nights. If you want a big vitual world to hang out in though, you should hold on to your money until someone actually makes one.

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Sorry But I gotta call it like i see it and I disagree with the above poster.

Not to be a prick Jimmy but what are you basing your "GW has the best pvp" theory on?

What pvp based mmorpgs have you played?
    I guess I wont completely disagree with you cause the pvp is pretty good but only one game that Ive ever played has lived up to the best. DAOC had THE BEST pvp of any game I played. Hands Down.

Im not entirely sure if Guild Wars is worth the 50 bucks. You can get to max lvl pretty quickly but Im not dead set on that style of pvp. Anytime you cast a spell on someone you cant moving. No insta cast spells on the run. Range is a joke. A ranger is supposedly ranged but there not that far ranged. WoW is sort of the same way on teh ranged concept.....whereas you play Dark Ages of Camelot and get hit by a archer at max range---lol it takes a while to find where your being shot from and takes a while to get to them.

If you wanna good good game to get into and arent dead set on the best pvp in the world I would reccomend star wars galaxies. You can exlpre a bunch---have a house--do some interesting crafting--later in teh game you can hunt jedi's. How cool is that?

So to your original question--Id have to say yes and no-- its good quick fun but it gets old really quick. I know a ton of people that played--got burnt out and quit all together.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by wooterz

Very simple question:
    Is Guild Wars worth $50? I am really bored because I just quit WoW, and I need a game to play........so put out your opinions.

Very simple answer:

NO!

GW is a very well done game, but for 50 bucks you can buy Half Life 2, and you will have more fun.

I was speaking more as a multiplayer than a MMOGer. As for the MMO PvP that I've played: AO, UO (before tremmel) And Ragnorok online. I have played DAoC but it didn't hold my interest long enough for me to level into PvP.

As for my PvP experience outside of MMOGs: Doom, Quake (all three), Unreal Tournament, Total annhilation, Command and Conquer 1 & 2, Red Alert 1 & 2, and Command and Conquer: Renegade, The entire Tribes series (which is still my favorite CTF game of all time), Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Age of Kings, Age of Mythology, Magic: The Gathering Online, Rise of Nations, Every single Rainbow Six game, Ghost Recon, Warcraft (all three), Starcraft, Starcraft (that game was so nice I had to say it twice), Laser Squad Nemisis (made by the folks that brought us X-Com), Massive assault, Star Chamber, Chronx (hey, I like CCGs), Neverwinter Nights, Diablo 1 & 2 and damn near every fighting game I could get my hands on. Oh yeah, there's also my ongoing obsession with the Advanced Wars series on the GBA. I've already reservered Advanced Wars: Dual Strike for the Nintendo DS.

When I see a PvP setup that works, I give it props. Could GW be better, of course it could. I have yet to see any game that couldn't be any better. However, Guild Wars kept it's design small and extensible in order to deliver tight, well balanced PvP without getting bogged down in promises that they couldn't keep. With the game designed with expansions in mind, the PvP can only get better. If you buy games just for the multiplayer PvP, then GW is totally worth the $50. It isn't Battlefield 2, but it's not supposed to be.

BTW, I left a few really obscure titles out. Savage: The Battle for Newerth, Soldat, etc...

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe
    It's about the best damn PvP I've ever played in an RPG. Yes, it even beats the PvP servers for Neverwinter Nights. If you want a big vitual world to hang out in though, you should hold on to your money until someone actually makes one.

Um
    Exactly WHAT MMORPG's have you played?

NeverWinter Nights isn't an MMORPG
    And GuildWar's PVP is pitiful compared to games like DAOC, ShadowBane, old UO, AC, AO and even Lineage II has better PVP. SWG's PVP is just as good as well.

Guildwars PVP is just kind of a RPG version of battlenet.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

If you read the quote, I said RPG not MMORPG. As for my opinion of MMORPG PVP: UO was great but the user interface made PvP a major pain in the ass. AO was slightly more useable than UO but the PvP always came down to who had the best equipment and stat buffs. Ragnorok Online had everything that made Diablo 2 PvP a hoot, but again, the side with the highest levels and phattest loot always won.

Guild Wars wins because it's PvP is based around strategy and teamwork. Anyone can have their character at max level right from the gitgo so there's no reason to get pwned by someone several levels higher than you. The 8 skill limit also forces you to think ahead and communicate with your teammates before the PvP starts. Like I said earlier, It isn't Battlefield 2 and it's not really supposed to be. It's more of a combintation of D&D, Magic: The Gathering and Mage Knight with some Diablo thrown in for good measure. I could elaborate on how individual skill means less as the number of players increases in a game, but that would be beyond the scope of this thread. Bottom line, If you like online, pick-up style PvP, then GW is worth $50.