Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge K-Tera Player Resurgance

2»

Comments

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

Your logic is flawed. Aion is hugely popular in Korea but that doesn't make Aion a good game. In fact pretty much everybody in K-Tera hates Aion (obviously).

In fact it's safe to say that if you hate Aion, then you will absolutely Love Tera, and Aion is not that popular in the west which is entirely the point.

Your logic is more flawed. Just cause someone doesn't like Aion doesn't mean they will love TERA. That is idiotic cause there are still more played games over TERA. It's not like TERA is 2nd place here. It's 10th and lower place on the charts being beaten by WoW and Maple Story.  Also, I don't hate Aion. Aion just didn't have enough quests to match it's leveling curve which made it a grindy game. TERA is a basic themepark with a little different combat system which makes it boring by level 20. That doesn't make it a good game and  may impress some but it takes more then some to make an MMO survive.

The fact that you add that people who play TERA hate Aion. lol Well, no $h!t, what an pointless statement. The problem is that more people like this apparently bad game over this apparently good one. But who cares about what Koreans think? They only made the two games ... it's not like their opinion matters, huh?

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

Maybe the Korean players are declining because of the System Requirements.

I mean, look at the game. I guess only 50% of the players can play it on acceptable settings. SWTOR's graphics work on much more PCs, this is why so many people try it.

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143
    @Sector13 I think you are under the impression that I am here to convince you to play this game, I am not. If you do like Aion and are just waiting for more content, then I suggest you just wait for 3.0 to come out and the EU version to go F2P. This will most likely come out before Tera gets released in the states so there's no longer any reason for you to follow this game.

However for the rest of the players that are simply tired of WoW, who do not like Aion at all , and simply not interested in SW:TOR, there is still hope.
    I don't know how big of an MMO market is left after that but it should be enough to support one more AAA MMO. Tera's chances of being a successful is looking better with every new patch, and it's showing with the increase in numbers. If you want me to tell you how many of these new players actually stay come back to this thread a month from now.

In the meantime, feel free to ask me any questions about the game not relating to its popularity in Korea, which is irrelevant to me because I'm not Korean.
  • EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Originally posted by Shorun

Maybe the Korean players are declining because of the System Requirements.

I mean, look at the game. I guess only 50% of the players can play it on acceptable settings. SWTOR's graphics work on much more PCs, this is why so many people try it.

System Reqs are not a problem in Korea, because a large portion of their MMO playerbase play at Net Cafes, where they are usually  fairly up to date on computer hardware.   This is why all their new MMOs are pushing the graphics envelope.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

actually, the reasons why this game is not as popular anymore are:

1 - it is one of the very few Korean games that has a mandatory monthly payment. most other games here are absolutely free

2 - ArchAge looks and feels a lot more exciting, so a lot of players are hyped about that 

3 - mobile MMOs are slowly taking over Korea too. games like Order and Chaos are extremely popular here and much (10x) cheaper than other mmos. Korea had the highest app download in the world last month, for example. so most of the industry is moving to phones

4 - standard games like Maple Story and Sudden Strike and even Starcraft are and always will be much more popular than the newest/coolest games

5 - Tera's extensive advertisement campaign (they even had huge billboards on buses at some point) has finished so without an marketing exposure, the game is bound to slowly decline in numbers

I'm sure there are other factors, but it doesn't change the fact that Tera is a great game, has amazing combat and very vibrant graphics.

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• MeerieBellaMeerieBella Member Posts: 28

LOL!

Tera is not "dying" especially in Japan/Korea.

Have you even been to the website at all? Tera is flourishing over in asian countries.

The only Tera that could be possibly dying is the one being released for europe/west.

Admist the sudden ban-hammer threats En-Mass spilled on it's own player-base, combined with constant delays of the game's release is what could possibly be holding TERA back.

Will it stop people from buying it who want to still play it? No. As a player i find it somewhat difficult to trust a company who simple way of "solution" is to ban-ham, combined with cheap edits in the game they don't own but are "leasing".

Don't be surprise if a patch comes out that can revert those edits to their original form. Of course it'll be a 3rd party and it may be pc/mac side only, defiantly not server!

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Without trying to sound like an ass, I'm glad its not doing well in Korea it most likley means western gamers will love it.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Tera's biggest problem in Korea is when all the healers kept telling the devs it was impossible to heal they got told to suck it up. Then when people could roll shorter characters and pvp better and never be hit the devs said it was intended. Also coupled with the fact there was literally zero to no end game (less then Aion on NA launch)

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by Sector13
    TERA is no longer on the top 10 played games in Korea, in which it barely held on their to begin with. It's a dying game, just deal with it.

yes and worst of all they have less money to spend and develop the game issues and better content, i think this game its done, unfortunately

You're entitled to your opinion of course but the resurgence is still going strong.  Those that aren't playing K-Tera are clamoring for release on the official Tera forums. And I'm sorry to burst your bubble but content hasn't "stopped" being produced, we're looking forward to level 60 cap, and Server vs Server PvP.

Anybody else have any more doomsaying or top ten lists they want to post about this game? The english K-Tera players can use a good laugh.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Not surprised to hear that TERA > SWTOR.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Originally posted by pedrostrik

TERA is no longer on the top 10 played games in Korea, in which it barely held on their to begin with. It's a dying game, just deal with it.

yes and worst of all they have less money to spend and develop the game issues and better content, i think this game its done, unfortunately

Pretty sure if we learned anything from SWTOR is that more $$$ does not a necessarily a better game make.

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by NBlitz

Originally posted by bygeorge

Originally posted by nblitz

Source?

Tera has fallen off of the top 10 list with http://www.gametrics.com/. It has dropped to #10 on http://www.gamemeca.com/

Thank you.

Ok I will bite.

The first top 10 game list does indeed show that TERA has fallen off it. BUT I think people should realise this is ALL games not just MMO's. For example it includes: FIFA, Warcraft 3, Starcraft etc

The second has two tables, one showing games not even out yet so I must assume that it is a 'hype' table of some sort. My Korean is not good. The other table also shows many non MMO's such as: FIFA, Sudden Attack (Counter Strike of the east), Karting and freestyle football.

So while it may not be the most popular game it is safe to assume that it is one of the most popular MMO's. Though sources seem scare to analyse just this.

Yes that's correct, I think in an actual list Tera is still in the top 4 Actual MMOs in Korea which isn't bad, and it actually won the 2011 Presidential Award from the Korean Game Awards show.  I didn't argue K-Tera's performance in Korea however because 1.) The version that we are getting is not going to be the same version coming out in May  and 2.) Koreans have competely different tastes in MMOs then Westerners.

People that are saying that this game will fail in the west because it had a bad start in Korea are just trolling.  Because if Tera did do well in Korea the very next thing they would have flipped the script and say is "well that was in Korea, not here, nobody cares what happens in Korea."  If we all cared about the type of MMOs koreans liked then we'd all be playing Aion right now, their #1 MMO, but we aren't, are we?

Lastly this resurgance has been going strong all month. Our K-Tera guild has almost active 300 members (near capacity) and we are probably going to have to open up another guild to compensate with demand.  Also Tera is going to release before Guild Wars 2 it seems, which will put it in a great position to get the maximum amount of box sales.  Last but not least there's more exciting content being planned, which I'm sure even more players will want to join K-Tera and test out.

Not bad if you ask me.  Not bad at all.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

OK, i'm currently stationed in Korea and I usually frequent the PC rooms here on the weekends until i actually move into my own place and get internet hooked up :p anyways, while i'm chilling playing my swtor(yes, i still enjoy it) there are alot of koreans that are playing K-Tera in there. I was waitingg for the NA release but it seems like i have no choice but to play the korean version with enmasse giving myself and other miltary/dependant gamers the shaft with their ip blocks >.<

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by synn

OK, i'm currently stationed in Korea and I usually frequent the PC rooms here on the weekends until i actually move into my own place and get internet hooked up :p anyways, while i'm chilling playing my swtor(yes, i still enjoy it) there are alot of koreans that are playing K-Tera in there. I was waitingg for the NA release but it seems like i have no choice but to play the korean version with enmasse giving myself and other miltary/dependant gamers the shaft with their ip blocks >.<

Don't military camps use proxies?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Maybe in Korea but I think it will be a hit in the West. I heard it is less grindy than usual korean games, which is good for the West, and has action paced combat which again I think is good over here as more and more are starting to get sick of TAB hotkey combat.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well im currently playing K-Tera myself and im enjoying it even without being able to follow the story.

I think it will do well in the EU/NA, maybe not as well as SW:TOR but only because it does not have the Star Wars IP.. Now if Tera was set in the Star Wars universe it would be an amazing hit... SW:TOR without the SW IP would be nothing at all i dnt think anyone would play..

So yeah i dont expect Tera to top the charts or anything but im sure it will have a good solid population as it offers a lot of fun,

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Yamota

Maybe in Korea but I think it will be a hit in the West. I heard it is less grindy than usual korean games, which is good for the West, and has action paced combat which again I think is good over here as more and more are starting to get sick of TAB hotkey combat.

You still run out of quests in the 40's. Not much different the Aion just with less of a curve.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Originally posted by lalartu

actually, the reasons why this game is not as popular anymore are:

1 - it is one of the very few Korean games that has a mandatory monthly payment. most other games here are absolutely free

2 - ArchAge looks and feels a lot more exciting, so a lot of players are hyped about that 

3 - mobile MMOs are slowly taking over Korea too. games like Order and Chaos are extremely popular here and much (10x) cheaper than other mmos. Korea had the highest app download in the world last month, for example. so most of the industry is moving to phones

4 - standard games like Maple Story and Sudden Strike and even Starcraft are and always will be much more popular than the newest/coolest games

5 - Tera's extensive advertisement campaign (they even had huge billboards on buses at some point) has finished so without an marketing exposure, the game is bound to slowly decline in numbers

I'm sure there are other factors, but it doesn't change the fact that Tera is a great game, has amazing combat and very vibrant graphics.

Those are some good points.

I have no idea if Tera will do well in the US & EU. But korean top ten lists or Korean gamer likes/dislikes probably wont make that much of a difference.

From what I can tell Korea is unique in its gaming tastes and views, especially from NA & EU. I would not play Aion if it magically appeared on my hard drive, neither would anyone I know.  Just because its extremly popular in Korea means squat everywhere else. Same will hold true for Tera I bet.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

I doubt this game isnt gonna be a success in general I think it already is in a way, but even if its not worth the investment they will just make it F2P and make a load of money out of it, look at L2 I bet it has more players at the moment and making more revenue than most top voted MMOs on this site and its a massive grind that game ( I know I like it but its a grind ), ppl are complaining cause they cant login some nights literally.

F2P is the new model I have no doubt, and SWTOR is probably gonna be one of the last "successfull" P2P mmos in my opinion. Korean companies are quite good at changing the model while it seems western companies are more reluctant to do it.