Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2.0 has so much potential

ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

I've only just read the patch notes for 2.0 here - http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/11012 (I know this is old, but new to me, I haven't followed this game since I was sorely dissapointed with its release.)

If 2.0 is implemented completely without dissapointment then it has the potential to make Final Fantasy XIV the one of, if not the, best MMO of 2012/2013. 

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but it's hard to not have high hopes when everything they have done to the game since it's release has only been good, dragging the game from a pile of crap to a playable ( yet still bad) MMO. 

If they continue to do what they've been doing recently then they could be the first ever MMO company to save an MMO and bring it back to the masses (I'm sure the PS3 version will also help in that respect.)

It's too hard for me not to get excited about the upcoming features, but I still won't play again until all of 2.0 has been added to the game.

Comments

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

The game is the best game right now to me, but has a downside very low population, people are not smart enough to decide for themselves they see bad review and they don't play. The review is done by haters that like easy games like wow.

- Best graphics ever seen in a mmorpg.

-With recent update combat is the best also, trust me no press 1 press 2 press 3 press 4 and repeat here.

-Deep crafting with minigame and chance on high quality, endless recipies.

-It's the game that took a chance on creating some other then a WOW look a like game.

Enough reading go play your clones lol.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by RedKatana

-With recent update combat is the best also, trust me no press 1 press 2 press 3 press 4 and repeat here.

-It's the game that took a chance on creating some other then a WOW look a like game.

I agree with the best graphics part, I've never seen graphics like them in an MMO, and the crafting is more enjoyable than than crafting in many other games.

But the combat is not the best, it's very similar to everything else. But once it has been updated with 2.0 it should be good. 

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

Would make for an epic comeback

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Those aren't the 2.0 patch notes.... not even close.

Out of that list only character jump is planned for 2.0, the rest is either implemented already or implemented pre-2.0.

2.0 changes is an entirely different list in itself.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • BassmanJBassmanJ Member Posts: 25

The game is the best game right now to me, but has a downside very low population, people are not smart enough to decide for themselves they see bad review and they don't play. The review is done by haters that like easy games like wow.

Bwahahahaha!

Dude even squeenix hated the game, get over yourself. Its just heading into being FF11.5. Enjoy your clone indeed.
  • SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

LOL  I admit I got sucked in and bought this the other day outta boredom to go check out if it really had changed, and the game is just as god awful as it ever was. Don't get sucked in.

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134

Originally posted by BassmanJ

Bwahahahaha! Dude even squeenix hated the game, get over yourself. Its just heading into being FF11.5. Enjoy your clone indeed.

Even if it turned out to be an 11.5 clone it would be better than any other mmorpg on the market today. 2.0 will bring this game back to the light if it turns out to be like it should of been in the first place. Lets just hope this time around it works. Its just that 2.0 seems soo far away. But that might not matter with Swtor being a huge let down and nothing else to be released in 2012 besides maybe GW2.

I predict it will make a come back. Just need people to think for thier self and actually try the game.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

need people to think for thier self

Well, therein lies the problem.

Good luck with that.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Dude, come on down out of the clouds your head is stuck in....i'll wait abit....okay. FF14 sold 610,000 copies at launch. 610 THOUSAND. Those people alll decided to buy the game even though it had horrid reviews. I can't find numbers on how many are left now, but it is nowhere near that, and i'd say less than 10k based on what i see ingame. Did all those people just up and quit because they saw a review? is that what you HONESTLY think? Wake up man. the game tanked, and tanked hard.

-Graphics? agree. fantastic. though they did copy paste much of the terrain, and they didn't hide it well. Area redesigns- a coming thing- are supposed to fix that as well.

-combat. Combat was Horrible as well. So horrid they redid much of it, and are still redoing much of it. Why? because 600thousand people didn't like it enough to stay. As for how it is present day, it is shaping up, but it IS a press 1-2-3-4 combat. Which isn't a bad thing. But don't say it isn't what it is.

-Crafting. Not too schooled on this myself, but i did try it. the recipes might have been there, but the actual act of crafting items was terrible.

- Sure, the game took a chance at not being like WoW, so did the last one. did that one Tank though? nope. You can't give a company with this amount of developers and money to back them ANY slack for pushing out something that isn't right. They half assed this game, and it blew in their face. They know it, we know, you are the only one in the dark.

Enough reading, go play your subpar game, and pay for it while you do so.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221

I think it's more accurate to say that there's a lot of folks who saw what a complete disaster the game was at launch and can't imagine how it would be possible to fix without a complete re-write.   Basically the only thing worth saving are the graphics (and even the way the worlds are built are horrible as well and repetitive texture wise).

As for the graphics being the best, well, I'm not quite sure I'd agree with that but they are certainly very good.   I think if you look at Rift you will see graphics done right.   Not as artsy as FF but certainly fantastic and with a deeper polish and engine that actually works extremely well (unlike FF).   Anyway not my intention to get into a comparison.

From what I'm hearing FF still hasn't fixed the issues keeping players away such as horrible solo play, the simply weird combat system (I just couldn't believe how it worked at launch, locking down your characters movement and such), the UI ala single bar... what gives?   On and on.

I'd be willing to take another look but I'm doubtful enough has changed for the game to be viable.   Hopefully I am wrong.

• StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221

Originally posted by BassmanJ

Bwahahahaha! Dude even squeenix hated the game, get over yourself. Its just heading into being FF11.5. Enjoy your clone indeed.

Comments like this are interesting.

Considering how the game completely crashed and died I'd think making changes more in line  with a game that people actually want to play would be desirable?  Or should SE keep the game as is so that it appeals to a very very very very small set of players or should they actually make it something that normal people want to play and maybe salvage something of their loss?

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

FFXIV eill never make a decent comeback. The people who looked foward to it bought and left in discust. Unless they offer a few free months playing around with 2.0 I certainly wont.

SE left a very bad taste in the fans mouth and it is highly unlikely that more than a token amount will ever return.

Originally posted by StanlyStanko

Would make for an epic comeback

I would love to see it.

The market needs a AAA 100% PvE MMO.

Originally posted by grndzro

FFXIV eill never make a decent comeback. The people who looked foward to it bought and left in discust. Unless they offer a few free months playing around with 2.0 I certainly wont.

SE left a very bad taste in the fans mouth and it is highly unlikely that more than a token amount will ever return.

I am sure there will be a reactivation offer at 2.0

But 'a few months'... wouldn't think so. 2 weeks to a month is plenty to see if you want to stay. They don't owe anyone out there any compensation or whatever past that now.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Even if FF14 becomes one of the best games ever, it has already failed. If an MMO does not meet expectations at launch it won't be successful later. MMORPG players are pretty unforgiving. 

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Toxia

- Sure, the game took a chance at not being like WoW, so did the last one. did that one Tank though? nope.

ROFL ~ FFXI launched in Japan mid-2002, and fall-2003 in the US!  WoW did not launch until winter-2004!

Originally posted by Celcius

Even if FF14 becomes one of the best games ever, it has already failed. If an MMO does not meet expectations at launch it won't be successful later. MMORPG players are pretty unforgiving. 

This isn't true at all.

Most MMO players just look past anything bad in a newly released MMO, unless it makes the game unplayable, knowing that eventually it will be removed.

Name me one MMO that has ever met expectations on launch day? I can't think of one and I've played WoW, AoC, Aion, Rift, FF11 and almost every single AAA MMO.

Actually Glitch did pretty well, but that's the only one I can think of that went beyond my expectations, maybe because I wasn't expecting much. 

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Those aren't the 2.0 patch notes.... not even close.

Out of that list only character jump is planned for 2.0, the rest is either implemented already or implemented pre-2.0.

2.0 changes is an entirely different list in itself.

Do you have a link to 2.0 patch notes?

I'd love to read them!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I probally would have given this game a go but there is no digital download for the EU and I aint seen a copy in the shops for a very long time..

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Originally posted by Valua

Originally posted by Celcius

This isn't true at all.

Most MMO players just look past anything bad in a newly released MMO, unless it makes the game unplayable, knowing that eventually it will be removed.

Name me one MMO that has ever met expectations on launch day? I can't think of one and I've played WoW, AoC, Aion, Rift, FF11 and almost every single AAA MMO.

Actually Glitch did pretty well, but that's the only one I can think of that went beyond my expectations, maybe because I wasn't expecting much. 

There is a huge difference between meeting expectations and having an incomplete mess. No, most MMO players do not look past anything bad in a newly released MMO. I understand alot of core MMO players expect some kind of server lag/crashes/bugginess but not an incomplete game. If the issues are not fixed promptly, the game gets a bad rep for life and causes it to lose out on future customers.

The problem a game like FF14 faces is that when it came out, it was poorly recieved and was not ready at all. Games that were not ready but had a much higher quality at launch, including some of the ones you mentioned, have failed to bring back the number of subscribers they initially had. I don't know how the hell you expect a launch failure of this magnitude to recover when those other titles have not. Rift is pretty much (not counting SWTOR for now since it is too early to tell) the only success story we have seen since LOTRO and that is because they were well recieved at launch and continued to  produce content for the game since they were not busy recovering from a failed launch. Even those games don't really have mind blowing numbers... So again, what makes you believe this will be any different? I would be shocked if ff14 even surpassed the peak subs that FF11 had at this point.

Originally posted by Caldrin

I probally would have given this game a go but there is no digital download for the EU and I aint seen a copy in the shops for a very long time..

you can get it off amazon for under £4.

• salanaesalanae Member UncommonPosts: 5

2.0 is scheduled around T1 2013, in 1 year ! too late for most gamers

people are now waiting for other games (GW2, Tera, TSW...) I don't think FFXIV will ever recover.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by salanae

people are now waiting for other games (GW2, Tera, TSW...) I don't think FFXIV will ever recover.

You're forgetting about Japan. To be honest if this game does well in Japan it doesn't really need the rest of us to be a financial success, and think about console users, it will be the second MMO and arguably the first really MMORPG that the PS3 will get, and because of that I wouldn't be surprised to see large console sales.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Im looking forward to this, the 2 year wait and disapointment of FFXIV was hard true, but ive seen they learned a hard lesson and are all the better for it, so 2.0 will be a major improvement.

Originally posted by salanae

Another way of looking at it is that in a year, once those games have been played by the majority of fickle players and they have moved on, there isn't much coming up except for AA (and that has a PvP model that won't appeal to many). Quite a few people will be looking for something to sink their teeth into.

Sure, it won't ever be a huge hit in the sense that most MMO players demand in order to validate their choice of game, but it can very feasibly reach a point where it has a healthy stable player base. Not everyone cares about if a game has a million + playing... as long as their server is healthy (has a decent pop for groups etc) and has ongoing support from the devs they are happy, and FFXIV can still easily achieve that for years to come.

FFXIV will still look graphically strong in a year.