Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Beta Wait is Almost Over

Comments

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Originally posted by shockme

Everything release latly has been shitty and over in a month.  I really would love to try guildwars 2 and hope there is more than a month of game play there.

I doubt it, it will be more of the same, and no radical changes in game play. People will get carried up in the hype and ultimately be disappointed. It is funny to watch tbh.

If you are not happy with what games have on offer at the moment then GW2 will not really help you.

And you know this because you played the game right? :

^Poster above me: You won't get a lot of time to test the game, you will only have this opportunity in certain weekends. And as most of us know by now, weekends usually last only two days.

• wootwinkedwootwinked Member UncommonPosts: 11

Lets be serious for a moment, the beta events for February are only for promotion of the game.. I mean, do u guys really think that the press is gonna spent time finding bugs AND REPORTING THEM? It just doesnt make sense to give "press" access to a bug-infested game, just think about what comments/reviews you would get..

Anet is past the bug testing phase, perhaps the only thing to do is a stress test..

PS: have you guys at MMORPG.com got a date before no articles related to the beta can be published (to avoid some press to rush "useless" articles just to get more hits)?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by wootwinked

Lets be serious for a moment, the beta events for February are only for promotion of the game.. I mean, do u guys really think that the press is gonna spent time finding bugs AND REPORTING THEM? It just doesnt make sense to give "press" access to a bug-infested game, just think about what comments/reviews you would get..

Anet is past the bug testing phase, perhaps the only thing to do is a stress test..

PS: have you guys at MMORPG.com got a date before no articles related to the beta can be published (to avoid some press to rush "useless" articles just to get more hits)?

^^ This fella speaks the most sense. They wouldn't give the press an exclusive look at the game if it wasn't in a good state.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by AdamTM

Not now ArenaNet, not when i just got into TSW!!

You; are so lucky.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

i agree mostly with this statement, but games also make it past the press beta open beta and release date with (upto) game breaking bugs for a lot of people.   Im def hoping for the best though

• LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135

Now we just need the press beta to go by so the non press and FnF can actually see the parts of the game. I like how Blizzard does there tests by doing their FnF then just going right to their closed Beta by inviting both the press AND players rather than deciding to give a month to press only and their FnF (press invites aren't even prioritized by Blizzard as we had to wait 2 weeks for our press invites).

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Can't wait for this game. I had a great time in GW1 and even if GW2 will not be a genre changing MMO, I know that ANet will release a quality and fun game. Though I do hope that it will change this genre for the better. Let's face it, it's getting stale.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I will not play the beta but I am excited because this mean GW2 is just around the corner as they said the promo events will take place very close to release.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

I wanna play the beta, to see if I actually like the game. Specifically the WvW stuff, which is where I'd be spending 99% of my time.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by newbinator

I wanna play the beta, to see if I actually like the game. Specifically the WvW stuff, which is where I'd be spending 99% of my time.

Resisting beta here, I think this game may offer that feeling of wonder again when spawning as a little level 1 in a game where you know you have years in front of you, and im not going to risk spoiling that feeling with too much knowledge :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

One of my fondest memories of GW1 was the alpha weekends...  And I think it REALLY helped them promote GW1.  I hope they do something similar with GW2, and I hope even more that what they do is equally as astounding as GW1 alpha weekends were.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174

Sound thinking, wootwinked, but consider that the author may be correct in his assumption of a demo style beta.  In other words, perhaps the press beta will be limited to finished areas, and afterward, for the more general access beta, there will be access to the potentially bug infested areas.

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

Personally I'd like to test the character creator and customisation options. In many games it's kind of a neglected feature. While it's important for a significant number of players that they can relate to a character that looks and feels like they want it to look and feel.

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

Beta testing sounds great.  You finally get a chance to play the game, but what about the actual launch?  I’m sure many of you are thinking that, and the answer is, I don’t know.  My guess would be during the Fall.  The reason I say this is from experience working on games.  Beta testing is a great way for a game developer to see some last moment bugs and glitches, as well as any balance issues that may have been missed by the in house testing team.  If you let a lot of players in, you get a lot of results.  When the testing is over, you take the results, and start fixing things.  ArenaNet has made sure they had plenty of time to get the game to a true finished status.  I doubt they would rush through the last bits of fixing, so spring and summer are out of the picture to me.  Looking at it from this angle, I would say mid to late fall will be the time of release… but that doesn’t mean I don’t hope for sooner!

In my opinion they will have the Beta testing in a way that lets them fix the game faster. In the first weekend they have the 1st beta and then have 1 week to fix a lot of the bugs and glitches, which means the 2nd week comes with a good update. The 1st weekend beta bigger fixes would take more time but with feedback from the 2nd weekend beta they would be certainly fixed in the 3rd week beta. Something like this:

1st weekend beta ---->  fixing bugs and glitches ----> 2nd weekend beta (1st update) 

2nd weekend beta ----->  fix of 1st beta bigger bugs and glitches and more little ones -----> 3rd weekend beta (2nd update)

And goes on untill Betas end in April.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Totally agree.

Hopefully the game will be release soon since they stated that open beta

or beta events like the week-end ones ,will happen very close to release.

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    ahh something to talk about again..sit here waiting
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

AND HERE'S THE CAVALRY! A week later...

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

I work for MMORPG really! Beta events are great fun and sometimes the highlight of the game for me (like AION). Fun to log in and see masses of people and the GM's too.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Been an Aussie we dont get these massive conventions to try out games that are coming out... well nothing huge like gamescon or e3... so im eager as hell to try gw2 out!!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Nice article, but I disagree on the release date speculation. May 2012 looks very promising, assuming that no major issues arise. Arenanet has made clear many times in the past that any Public beta testing would be short and they didn't intent to let fans into a test that didn't reflect a release quality product. They also want to hold back most content for launch.

I do think the article goes in the right direction when speculating on what we will be testing. I will bet that a weekend or two, at least, will be just Competitive PVP. We might, hopefully, get a weekend of World vs. World vs. World testing. It's also possible we will get limited access to a very few game zones. However, do not expect more than a small fraction of the game's content to be vetted via Public Beta Testing. That's not what they have ever intended for Public Beta. It will be more stress testing/marketing than a beta meant to flush out bugs through out the game world.

Now, the press Beta? That may make the press invitees a part of the Closed Beta test. It's possible you guys may have full access to the entire game in it's most current build. Will this be a limited window? Or will you guys be in the Closed Beta pool for the rest of development? Who knows. All I know is that I'm jealous. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

They didnt even give us a way to register for beta.
    So how do one actually gets to be in beta than ?

You could sign up for beta awhile ago and they took it away after a small period, its awhile since they did it though, think i signed for beta maybe abit under a year ago, not sure how long it was up before they removed it.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• GutrippaGutrippa Member Posts: 17

Just so everybody knows... Anet completed GW2's Closed Beta on 30 December.  Conjecture on my part, but think having a Press Beta 'immediately' following the last CB could be a good sign that the Game is by & large feature & content complete.

Press Beta in Feb will be followed by two Weekend Betas for the players in March & April.

May only be wishful thinking on my part, but it would be way sweet to install the GW2 CE and get in game for say - 4rth of July!  Fingers crossed anyways!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

If you thought the Swtor troll / fanboy arguments were bad I can only imagine how GW2 arguments will pan out.

Were looking at trolling the likes of which we have never seen

I know right with some idea from the trollers that they would be vendicating their title....weird.

I would love to see the Charr starting area and maybe the Norn section it would be nice to see some of the lore behind these two as i'm new to this game.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by revy66

Originally posted by Mavacar

They already said they saw open beta as a promotion perio and that the game would be ready by then :)

Contrary to popular belief, they never said "open beta" per se, but (not to my surprise) most gaming websites interpreted it as that.

Actually their very first post about it did call it an "Open Beta" however it was on a forum that was on a website one must pay to post to and read from. The poster came back and corrected himself afterwords tho and the most recent post on the Anet blog clarified it as first month press pass only, second and third month weekends only and the expansion of invitations based on unknown criteria. 

But it's definitely not going to be the entire game, it's going to be sectioned off and it's going to be weekends only and people are not going to be able to see the entire game while testing which i like, that's actually good. It does something to a title when that happens.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Gutrippa

Just so everybody knows... Anet completed GW2's Closed Beta on 30 December.  Conjecture on my part, but think having a Press Beta 'immediately' following the last CB could be a good sign that the Game is by & large feature & content complete.

Press Beta in Feb will be followed by two Weekend Betas for the players in March & April.

May only be wishful thinking on my part, but it would be way sweet to install the GW2 CE and get in game for say - 4rth of July!  Fingers crossed anyways!

If I remember correctly, one of the developers stated that all of the features planned for launch are already in the game. They are basically tweaking them at this point in order to get ready for launch.

Wish I could remember where I read it. I think it might have been on reddit.