Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lame computer question

SackynutSackynut Member Posts: 558

Im really lazy and didnt even feel like finding another site to answer this question, i decided that my questions have been answered here before so w/e. anyway. my old computer (current one) and the new one are both going to use AGP graphics cards because that is all I can afford, and because PCIe is too expensive. Well i was just wondering what the difference between PCIe and AGP are, and how different using an AGP and a PCIe graphics card are, like performance and stuff.

Comments

• Dregard44Dregard44 Member Posts: 103
    Massive difference, PCIe is sooo much faster then AGP

A Legend was Born

• SackynutSackynut Member Posts: 558

liiiikkee....... a 6600 AGP vs a 6600 PCIe, is it much more worth it to get the PCIe?

• Malachi1975Malachi1975 Member Posts: 1,079
    Well, Sacky, I am gonna play devils advocate on both sides of the coin here. Yeah, the PCI-E cards are nice. Effectively AGPx16. That's what I have in my rigs. However, if you are asking if the difference is a couple hundred dollars worth better? I'd say probably not. PCI-E is something you spend if you have the money now. True, PCI-E rigs are a better investment in the long-term life span of your gaming rig but I don't know if you'd really see a massive difference for the dollar between a 6600 AGP and a 6600 PCI-E.

"What is it I have against Microsoft, you ask? Well, you know how you feel when you wait for an MMO to come out and when it does you feel like you've paid to play it's beta test for another 6-9 months before anything even thinks of working the way it should? Being a network engineer you feel that way about anything Microsoft puts out."

• Fantom18Fantom18 Member Posts: 296

In PCI-E you can also hook up two video cards to one machine as demonstrated with the new Nvidia 7800 gtx's here- http://www.g4tv.com/videos/index.html

(You have to scroll down a bit to were it says GEFORCE 7800gtx with a pic of a girl with her hair up. Click and watch and be amazed lol)

While AGP I don't know of any way that you can do it. If you just wanna casually play games though go for the AGP. If you are a hardcore gamer and has a couple extra buxx to spend go PCI-E with 2 cards

It is sad that someone would cut off their ability to meet a good portion of the world because of their ignorance against other people - Fantom

• AbyssKnightAbyssKnight Member Posts: 152

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned the fact that you can only have what your motherboard supports. I've never seen a motherboard that supports both AGP 8x and PCI-Express.

• FilipinoFuryFilipinoFury Member Posts: 1,056

PCI-E bandwidth is much bigger. But I am still sticking with AGP. Because they have yet to fill it's bandwidth. Plus I dont buy the highest end card right when they come out. So unless you plan on getting a 7800GTX or 6800Ultra there is no point in my eye's to get PCI-e

On Time? On Target? Never Quit?

so would using a nvidia 5900 PCIe be better than a 6600 AGP 8x (in a game such as Bf2)? because the card PCIe or AGP is the same price, but a computer with PCIe is 70$ more, and to me thats a lot of money.

• ApsylumApsylum Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by Sackynut
    so would using a nvidia 5900 PCIe be better than a 6600 AGP 8x (in a game such as Bf2)? because the card PCIe or AGP is the same price, but a computer with PCIe is 70$ more, and to me thats a lot of money.

I don't think a 5900 PCIe is going to out-preform a 6600 AGP.

PCIe cards are maybe 5 to 10% more expensive, but for double the bandwidth. Don't you think that's worth it right there?

Again, only if your motherboard can handle it.

its not the video card price im worried about cuz i can get a good price on a PCIe 6600, its the extra 70$ to get a computer with a pcie slot motherboard. i was just wondering how much difference there would be in a game like BF2 in performance between AGP PCIe. but from what im hearing its seems i should save up that extra dough.

What motherboards were you debating between? The motherboard with PCI-Express probably has a lot more other features over the one with AGP 8x.