Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Big Changes to PvP with 1.7

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Rift dev team has posted a new blog article outlining some of the most significant changes coming to PvP when v1.7 is deployed.

Here are the things the blog post details:

• Prestige ranks will increase from 8 to 40. The length of time to get to 40 will remain the same but the team says that this streamlines the progression and rewards gained for each level. As players progress through the levels, players will receive wardrobe pieces to keep their armor looking good through all 39 levels.

• All level 45+ items prior to Hammerknell/Rank 8 are receiving an upgrade in stats, check out the full details here.

• Bolstering will boost player stats to the minimum a PvP battle requires. In the event that a player's stats are higher than the minimum, the higher stat number will rule.

• The Mercenary system will be introduced where player can participate in PvP battles as a member of the opposing faction's team IF there are not enough members of its own faction to fill a full team. This will reduce wait times and get players into PvP battles faster. Mercenary players will receive a special Mercenary buff and on-screen callout.

Check out the full details on the Rift site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

TRION devs, as always, do their job better than anyone else

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Originally posted by papardelios

Yes they do. Its just a shame they work on Rift instead of a more worthwhile game.

On a side note. It asounds me how a easy mode game like Rift just keeps getting easier. Theres no point going into detail, just read the full details and youll see.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

wait......

so letting you grind the same mini games over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over  for even longer

is a great new PVP addition

Lolity Frikin Lol

• BrodterBrodter Member Posts: 73
    Cross faction PvP, I wish other games I have played had that feature. I tried Rift for a while but I just couldn't make it past level 10. Got bored.

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138

This ^

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by kantseeme

Yes they do. Its just a shame they work on Rift instead of a more worthwhile game.

in this age of mmo's, worthwhile games are one in a million. I'm glad, they are here at trion fixing,making their game better for the overall crowd and not a niche game.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by ShakyMo

wait......

so letting you grind the same mini games over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over  for even longer

Lolity Frikin Lol

I'm with you... liked a lot of things about RIFT - but this won't bring me back to the game and is certainly not the PvP update I'm looking for.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by fadis

Originally posted by ShakyMo

wait......

Lolity Frikin Lol

I'm with you... liked a lot of things about RIFT - but this won't bring me back to the game and is certainly not the PvP update I'm looking for.

Same... wont come back for this

I was looking for a different type of upgrade to PvP but I understand the devs are in a bind... should they risk to pleasing a crowd not currently playing their game? Might be a whole new thread altogether

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Yea for sure we know your favorite game--Let me guess-GW. Only fans of that failed game are angry on all world. Sorry dude but rift have 5 time more player then your fav fail

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Hahaha so true!

• we asked and we recieved. these are things a lot of players currently playing rift have been asking for and trion delivered. my sub is happy. i don't understand why more devs can't do this.

Trion: "what do you all want?" 

Rift player base: "X Y and Z."

Trion: "then here you go, and please keep the feedback coming."

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

The changes are welcome to many players, but it's still all about the same-o-same warfronts.

I would like to see them putting the same effort into Open World-PvP.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

'Bolstering will boost player stats to the minimum a PvP battle requires. In the event that a player's stats are higher than the minimum, the higher stat number will rule.'

Why not make everyone's stats the same?  Shouldnt PvP be about skill and strategy, not gear?

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Daddydazzle

we asked and we recieved. these are things a lot of players currently playing rift have been asking for and trion delivered. my sub is happy. i don't understand why more devs can't do this.

Trion: "what do you all want?" 

Rift player base: "X Y and Z."

Trion: "then here you go, and please keep the feedback coming."

Except that you are wrong.  Trion gives Z, sometimes Y.  You make it seem like they listen to all player concerns and address them all.  We still dont have stuff like player housing in game yet, and alternate leveling paths have been a big concern since day 1 and the sub-45 game hasnt been addressed once.  They are at least trying to fix the number one PvP isse, meaningful open world PvP, but they should be focusing on it more than BG stuff.

Ths is a very good 'fix what we screwed up' patch though, and the merc idea, while lore shattering, should fix the PvP queue issue.  

Originally posted by palulalula

Yea for sure we know your favorite game--Let me guess-GW. Only fans of that failed game are angry on all world. Sorry dude but rift have 5 time more player then your fav fail

You guessed wrong. in fact i have NEVER played GW. So what else you got?

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by teakbois

'Bolstering will boost player stats to the minimum a PvP battle requires. In the event that a player's stats are higher than the minimum, the higher stat number will rule.'

Why not make everyone's stats the same?  Shouldnt PvP be about skill and strategy, not gear?

Apparently only SWTOR agrees with you.  People like feeling mighty and powerful in PvP.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

^^This.

• Originally posted by teakbois

Except that you are wrong.  Trion gives Z, sometimes Y.  You make it seem like they listen to all player concerns and address them all.  We still dont have stuff like player housing in game yet, and alternate leveling paths have been a big concern since day 1 and the sub-45 game hasnt been addressed once.  They are at least trying to fix the number one PvP isse, meaningful open world PvP, but they should be focusing on it more than BG stuff.

Ths is a very good 'fix what we screwed up' patch though, and the merc idea, while lore shattering, should fix the PvP queue issue. 

not everyone wants player housing, including myself. i agree completely with the reasons they aren't going to add it. people tend to hang out in the houses. if every player wanted housing they would add it, but that's not the case.

alternate leveling? the game isn't alt friendly. it takes 2 days to level. the whole game is based around being level 50. i personally don't want my money going towards something that isn't needed. with PA there's no time for alts as it is from a competitive raiding point of view. if players are casual then they can level up in 2 days play time by doing random events. but with that said, they don't just have to stick to quests. i know people that leveled to 50 entirely on PvP. i know another guy that leveled to 50 doing nothing but just grinding mobs down (his old school opinion of how games should level). there are options, just few. you get xp for everything in game as it is, and the rested xp and random xp pots they give out make it that much faster.

the pvp patch isn't something people were debating on it it was needed, it was flat out needed and asked for by the bulk of the player base so trion delivered.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

a couple of things to correct as people seem to be bitching for no reason:

the 40 pvp ranks are almost the same as the old 8 ranks, if you were rank 8 in the old system you will be 38.5 in the new one

you can buy your best gear if ya got enough favour from the start already so less neccesairy grind if ya just in it for one/two pieces and not the set bonus (as that does seem tied to pvp rank) or weapons (same rank dependand)

Also rift is exactly what trion wanted it to be, a wow clone with a twist, they said it before it launched and they will keep saying it. 

A thing that wasnt mentioned (on this article atleast) was that they are getting rid of pvp souls but am not sure yet how that will play out. The biggest thing now is getting the heal/damage ratios fixed which i am hoping is being done in the background at the moment and after that i suspect rifts pvp will be one of the better pvp minigames out there (balance and instance wise).

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

I played rift for 10 months, the pve is alot of fun. But the issue like other mmos is pvp balance and gear grind. As a former warrior I can honestly say the game is just awful as one in pvp, and until they fix melee in pvp they have lost a customer.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• CericXCericX Member Posts: 69

Threads like this remind me that no game can be everything for everyone. After some of the replies I can't help but feel thankful that this is the case.

Keep up the good work Trion! Also, Nerf Warriors. IJS.