Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat in GW2

TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

Does anyone think that combat in GW2 is very similar to combat in Dragon's Nest or Rusty Hearts? I dont mean the skills but executing them and positioning and such.  Watching demos of GW2 gameplay resembles combat from the games mentioned and I want an opinion on the matter from someone who has had their hands on the GW2 beta or demo and have played Dragons Nest or Rusty Hearts.

-I am here to perform logic

Comments

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

i play gw 1 -rusty and dragon nest yes  but ican say gw 2 combat is very similar as gw 1 but more live   in gw 1 ur stance its just alight in gw u actually c the movement of your character  is really not that similar   to thos games tho more like gw 1  but more alive . just mi opinion

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I played Rusty Hearts (with my xbox 360 controller) and the combat in that game is more similar to God of War than GW2. Those games you listed have combat that's simply uninspired and lacks depth. But if you want to force similarities with combat found in Rusty Heart/Dragon Nest, then so be it. I'm not going to argue your opinion.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

There are certain elements that are similar. Positioning and not needing a target to execute your skills. There are also elements similar to typical mmo combat. I'd say it's a hybrid of traditional mmo combat like WoW and action combat such as in Vindictus.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by DJJazzy

There are certain elements that are similar. Positioning and not needing a target to execute your skills. There are also elements similar to typical mmo combat. I'd say it's a hybrid of traditional mmo combat like WoW and action combat such as in Vindictus.

Sure you can compare Vindictus combat to Tera, I see a lot of similarities there, but not GW2 (expect the environment objects part). GW2 is more of less just typical MMORPG combat, but without the restriction and with dodge. Making it non-typical MMORPG combat, if that makes any sense. image

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Sure you can compare Vindictus combat to Tera, I see a lot of similarities there, but not GW2 (expect the environment objects part). GW2 is more of less just typical MMORPG combat, but without the restriction and with dodge. Making it non-typical MMORPG combat, if that makes any sense. image

I see some similarities to Vindictus such as positioning. There where you activate your skill is where it happens, same thing in GW2. Mainly I 'm thinking of that you don't have to actually target something in order to use a skill. Plus there is active dodging and movement in Vindictus just like in GW2. That is where I see the similarities.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Having played GW2, it's really just an true action type combat feel in an MMO.

How ever if you string combos together due to the responsiveness and animations that link with it, you'll feel like your playing hmm...Vindictus/Dragon Nest I guess.

It does have that AoC feel but much more fluid.

Example is well one of my favorite combos in PVP with the sword and shield was, Kick,charge,the three hits, stomp.

It's of course not unique but it is first MMO were for example shield stance deflects/blocks attacks depending on position.

So in a sense if you like AoC(Able to just swing hits.), like Vindictus/Dragon Nest(Simple yet mild flashy attacks), and WoW(Responsiveness and fluid) I'm sure one would like the combat.

It's part of the reason I never make it to Max level in MMOs, because a lot of things have to deal with [luck] rather than [skill] even in AOC.

As well as what really relates to Vindictus/Dragon Nest is being able to see an know what's going on rather than looking at chat.

Charging attacks up and using turrets and such is like that as well.

Hope this help and hope you guys try it to see for your selves.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Nice to have someone with experience actually playing it. I'm excited to hear you say that since I really enjoyed both AoC's and Vindictus' combat.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

I also played GW2 and agree with Rizel. I'd say that it feels like a combination of Vindictus and AoC. When I PvPed, especially, I had to move all over the place making ample use of every dodge, and not tab targetting my enemies, laying down attacks and AoEs where they lay, and it felt very Vindictus-like. But you do have room for slower, more methodical combat in the PvE (if you're going up against even- or below-con foes). Still not as slow as AoC, though, IMO. The pace of combat is much faster and more fluid than that.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Originally posted by dadante666

i play gw 1 -rusty and dragon nest yes  but ican say gw 2 combat is very similar as gw 1 but more live   in gw 1 ur stance its just alight in gw u actually c the movement of your character  is really not that similar   to thos games tho more like gw 1  but more alive . just mi opinion

"I play GW1 and Rusty and Dragons Nest also. I can say that GW2 combat will be in the likeness of GW1, but more live in color, chaos, and fun. In Gw1 your stances/ placement were important, but in Gw2 where you are and how you help in the fight are much more important, almost like daily life. Just my opinion"

Fixed it so others can understand.

On topic:

Who cares? If works, it works. Doesn't matter where you copy it from, where you got it. Just implement it at its best and it will either be a great success or a ungreat failure.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Theonenoni

Does anyone think that combat in GW2 is very similar to combat in Dragon's Nest or Rusty Hearts? I dont mean the skills but executing them and positioning and such.  Watching demos of GW2 gameplay resembles combat from the games mentioned and I want an opinion on the matter from someone who has had their hands on the GW2 beta or demo and have played Dragons Nest or Rusty Hearts.

The big differences that I see between GW2 and either of those games (just from watching videos) is that GW2's skills give you lots of way to use them, either for defense or offense, and positioning is essential for survival, whereas watching videos of rusty hearts or dragon's nest made me think of button masher action games.

GW2 has been described by some as a fusion of action game combat and the hot-key skill based combat that we have in MMOs now.  I believe that this is a somewhat inadequate description, as this would imply, to me at least, that it is basically action combat that makes using special attacks easier by having them be activated by one button as opposed to a multi-button combo.  GW2 is more accurately described as what would happen if you did the reverse and took MMO combat and made it more active.  It isn't like your typical MMO combat anymore, but it doesn't feel like you are simply swapping button combos for a skill bar.  It is more like they took the best of both, added a few things of their own, made it really easy to both die and to stay alive, depending on skill, and then made positioning matter way more than in other games.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.