Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey is Oblivion worth a go?

only about level 18 in skyrim and its my first TES game and i really like it so far but i was wondering should i give oblivion a go? hows the story i heard some people said that it had a better story then skyrim? any help would be appreaicted thanks :)

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by kareem12345

only about level 18 in skyrim and its my first TES game and i really like it so far but i was wondering should i give oblivion a go? hows the story i heard some people said that it had a better story then skyrim? any help would be appreaicted thanks :)

Retail vanilla Oblivion isn't that great.  It wasn't that great back then and it certainly is not great 'now'.

Modding community has patched up a lot of the issues but the underlying structure still isn't quite as good as skyrim.

I'd give Two World2/Fallout3, New Vegas a go than Obilivion to be honest.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I prefer Oblivion to Skyrim, it has a better spell system (you can create and modify spells) and has a much better story (but thats largely down to a person's opinion). Also the expansion for Oblivion was excellent, in terms of story, and is the best thing about it.

You can probably get it very cheap now and it's well worth it. Skyrim is basically more of the same, some things were improved and some things were taken away (if you prefer mage characters you will almost definately prefer Oblivion), but if you like either one you will probably like the other. 

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

It depends....  

Is it in direct competition with World of Warcraft?   

No?

/retracts claws

To answer your question, go to gamestop (or w/e) and pick that bad boy up.  Excellent story.  Again: Excellent story.  I wore out my first 360 playing that game.

• DragonborneeDragonbornee Member Posts: 4

Ya was wondering that to

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I personally didn't care too much for Oblivion.  Having to choose skills you weren't really going to use much in order to level efficiently didn't suit me well.  The whole story didn't do much for me either, but I'm just one person.  I would suggest Morrowind over Oblivion; I played the crap out of that game.  Again, that's just me.  Enjoy your time in Skyrim for now would be my best suggestion! 

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

If you love Skyrim, then I'd say definitely give Oblivion a go.  Personally, the story in Oblivion was more generic, but more cohesive from a game perspective.  And pretty much when you finished Oblivion (it felt like), the game was "over" - forcing me to see what else could I do?  Skyrim is a tighter more cinematic story that pushes you to get it done early then explore everything else that they offer. Its now expected which takes away a bit.

The Nords didnt do it for me and personally didnt feel connected to its lore, though more thick than Oblivion.

If you can take the graphical reduction, and a less-tweaked combat engine I wouldnt doubt that it would convert you as a fan.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

Vanilla Oblivion is kind of fun for a few hours but I spent more time downloading and installing mods then I did actually playing the game.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Oblivion is definately worth a go if you've never played it. Get the 'Game of the Year' edition if you do buy it though. This will give you the 'Knights of the Nine' and the 'Shivering Isles' expansions as well. Shivering Isles is almost a whole other game with a totally new landmass, new factions, new mobs, new items and an excellent story as well. Knights of the Nine adds a new faction, Items and a quest line but thats about it. Also if you get a chance even though it's rather dated graphics wise Morrowind is awesome too with probably the best main story line of any TES game to date.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Hell yes, I played that game for longer than I played most mmo's ive tried. I dont know if that says something about me or the state of the mmo genre...

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

With a couple of mods to fix the most glaring issues, Oblivion is great.

Vanilla... it's isn't really "bad" but it's got a lot of issues.

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

Comparing morrowind and oblivion to skyrim (where I've completed all storylines and most of the extra content in all) I have to say oblivion was not as memorable as morrowind or skyrim.  The fact I remember skyrim most is of course due to the fact that I've played it recently but, in my honest opinion, I'd say morrowind really drew me in in terms of the three.  There are some very nice mods for morrowind making it extremely enjoyable even if it is slightly outdated.  I have to say I prefer morrowind > skyrim > oblivion but with that said oblivion was still an enjoyable experience.  Morrowind felt more free in terms of what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it.

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Mavek

Comparing morrowind and oblivion to skyrim (where I've completed all storylines and most of the extra content in all) I have to say oblivion was not as memorable as morrowind or skyrim.  The fact I remember skyrim most is of course due to the fact that I've played it recently but, in my honest opinion, I'd say morrowind really drew me in in terms of the three.  There are some very nice mods for morrowind making it extremely enjoyable even if it is slightly outdated.  I have to say I prefer morrowind > skyrim > oblivion but with that said oblivion was still an enjoyable experience.  Morrowind felt more free in terms of what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it.

Yeah but lets face it Oblivion and Skyrim werent as in dpeth and scale as Morrowind.  Morrowind was so huge. however they kinda restored that in Skyrim.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

The only thing I would praise Oblivion over Skyrim for is Shivering isles. Beyond that I don't think Oblivion really offers anything that Skyrim doesn't do better, except maybe the magic system for some people.

Of course, there are alot of good mods out for Oblivion, which is a completely different story.

It's worth playing if you are simply interested in the TES series now, but if I had to choose between playing Oblivion or Skyrim, i'd go with Skyrim.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Skyrim has been my first TES game as well, and i thought the same as you, "what have i been missing out on?!" I couldn't bargain bin it at gamestop, and online it was way more then i'd be willing to pay for it, so i borroed it from the net, and meh.

We weren't missing out on much.

Talking to one of my friends who is deep into TES, he said morrowind was the one i missed out on, and that Oblivion wasn't up to par for him either.

I'm about 30 hours into Oblivion, and don't really like it, even modded. Skyrim does the immersion so much better to me.

EDIT: Perhaps it's just because i've played skyrim that i don't care for Oblivion. i see tons of glowing reviews in just this thread, so Skyrim probably spoiled it for us who started with skyrim ;)

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I would go play Fallout New Vegas instead of Oblivion.

Different setting and guns.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

Oblivion is a great game. It was a GOTY as well, just like Skyrim

There are 10000s of neat mods nowadays, so you can make it absolutely incredible

Although I personally still prefer the earlier Morrowind because of the amount of freedom and sheer number of mods available for that one. If you can deal with lower graphics, you'll love it

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

I prefer Morrowind tbh, i liked oblivion alot but the oblivion gates got stale after a while for me, same thing over and over.

C

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I loved it. The story is pretty forgettable as far as the main quest goes, but there's tons of side story to play through. The Shivering Isles expansion is absolutely brilliant as well.

• twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177

Oblivion is a horrible game, its utterly dumbed down so a 1 year old chimp can play it. Unless you get it free, save yourself and your brain the agony.

• PyreSpiritPyreSpirit Member Posts: 58

Shivering Isles makes Oblivion worth it.

Apart from that, though; Skyrim is simply superior in every way.

Morrowind is still worth playing, however - as is Daggerfall.