Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA Combat Video ( Beserker )

2»

Comments

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by BTrayaL

Some time ago, I was waiting TERA with great excitement... now I could only see the background mobs in the video, and how they lack any sort of patrolling AI... they just stand there on the map.

This is not something I consider immersive :(

Are you serious ?  must I help you out.  ~sigh~   http://www.twitch.tv/goditer

Now granted I havent looked at Tera much at all. Ok nothing except for the OP's video and I just watched your stream for a couple min. A couple things I noticed to make me not even want to look at the game.

1. Slow combat. Maybe its what you where doing (killing the humanoid looking things with big axes) or the class. But it looked slow. Not interested in slow.

2. AI. Well not much I could tell except thing walked around but where spread so far apart that you really didnt have to be carefull. The OP's video did nothing for showing any AI either. I may be wrong here but again, just going off what I saw in the OP's video and little bit of the stream.

3. Standardized questing. I cant read korean so I can only assume the mobs you where killing that had the ! next to there head where a basic kill quest or gather from dead mobs quest.  I dont mind a game having a frew of thoes but when thats the first thing I see? No thanks.

The stuff I saw that was good though was the graphics and animations. Both look verry good. Like always I'll get bored and try whatever happened to come out last. But from what little bit I have seen (and I admit the OP vid and 2-3min of your stream isnt rightfully enough to judge a game on) I'm not interested in another themepark MMO that just adds aiming into it. And in my brief 5min total of seeing TERA thats what I see out of it.

Before people go apeshit on me I fully admit 5min total time watching a game realy isnt enough to base an opinion on. I am just going off "first impressions" of what I saw in that time.

• GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74

Well EME is suppose to have an open beta, and if it is truly open to all, you should check it out. Since you could just download it and try it for free, it couldn't possibly hurt.

• YouNubeYouNube Member Posts: 25

OFCOURSE i will try it, it looks to good to just pass it, but im just sharing my concerns on everything i read/saw about the game already. I mean i remember how pumped i was when i found about it, and now after all those clips/videos/streams it just doesnt seem as good as i hoped it would be :(

Originally posted by YouNube

OFCOURSE i will try it, it looks to good to just pass it, but im just sharing my concerns on everything i read/saw about the game already. I mean i remember how pumped i was when i found about it, and now after all those clips/videos/streams it just doesnt seem as good as i hoped it would be :(

Ya, I found it is hard to stay optimistic about Tera at times, but I just think about like this. It has issues, so does every mmo in the  beggining. Though it has been out in Korea for a year,but we are getting a very talored expericence in comparison to theirs. 

So just stay optimistic but reserve your excitement.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

I liked it. I do wonder about healing though. Will healers be forced into concentrating on keeping their cross hairs on the tank? Looking for someone who is obscured etc might add a level of realism and organisation to groups but could be frustrating for pugs. I watched the priest class video but it didn't show any actual healing!

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Sector13

*yawn* slow combat is slow.

Yeah, it is a very tactical combat system.  But show me a Shank and plank MMORPG where combto isn't slow.  This game is no worse than any other game of the genre out right now.  Which isn't sayijng much, since all the games in this genre seem to be mass produced, stamped from the same mold.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    im still considering between beserker or slayer, need to find out if slayer can block.

can't wait for may 1st!

RIP Orc Choppa

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by arctarus

im still considering between beserker or slayer, need to find out if slayer can block. can't wait for may 1st!

Slayer gets a dodge/roll like Warrior has.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Hatefull

Originally posted by Sector13

*yawn* slow combat is slow.

Yeah, it is a very tactical combat system.  But show me a Shank and plank MMORPG where combto isn't slow.  This game is no worse than any other game of the genre out right now.  Which isn't sayijng much, since all the games in this genre seem to be mass produced, stamped from the same mold.

Shank and Plank? Are we just making up terms now?

Originally posted by rounner

I liked it. I do wonder about healing though. Will healers be forced into concentrating on keeping their cross hairs on the tank? Looking for someone who is obscured etc might add a level of realism and organisation to groups but could be frustrating for pugs. I watched the priest class video but it didn't show any actual healing!

The priest has a few focus heals where as you have to actually hit the person you are healing. And they also have a few aoe's.

While the Mystic has orbs they can drop and you can pick them  up whenever and they will heal you. 

Both are awesome healers.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by spaceport

IMO both GW2 and Tera have great combat.

However i kinda like Tera's combat more, having skills lock you down while you do them adds a whole new level of tactics, you have to be much more careful of what skill you use and if it's worthy considering it's animation.

Also that video doesn't make justice, the Berzerker is the slowest class of the game, the Slayer and Warrior are much faster.

I just can't imagine how allowing everyone to bunny hope and run around while they do a sword slash makes sense, sounds like simplification.

Also i would love to see a combat video of a Caster in GW2, do you have to aim like you do in Tera?

BTW, if this game didn't had huge weapons, it would be impossible to PVP with melee clases xD.

GW2 Elementalist PvP video

And to answer your question about targetting, yes and no. By that I mean that some skills are completely skill-shot based and some aren't, although you can dodge every skill in-game by combat dodging as shown in the video.

On topic: Thanks for the vid, still looking forward to playing TERA. Honestly, TERA and GW2 seem to be the only MMOs in the near future that look like they'll keep me interested for more than 5 minutes.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Dunno why people are raving about this, just looks like another generic Asian MMO. 

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by tixylix

Dunno why people are raving about this, just looks like another generic Asian MMO. 

You don't have to generalise MMO's or else you would have to call SWTOR another generic Western MMO.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by tixylix

As opposed to the generic western themeparks, the so called WoW clones, we've been fed the last years?

On the point of the video, I think that generally in all MMOs that I've played combat looks dull even when it's actually interesting for those participating. Then again, I'm usually a healer, so I play the fill the bar game most of the time.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Kyelthis

However i kinda like Tera's combat more, having skills lock you down while you do them adds a whole new level of tactics, you have to be much more careful of what skill you use and if it's worthy considering it's animation.

Also that video doesn't make justice, the Berzerker is the slowest class of the game, the Slayer and Warrior are much faster.

I just can't imagine how allowing everyone to bunny hope and run around while they do a sword slash makes sense, sounds like simplification.

Also i would love to see a combat video of a Caster in GW2, do you have to aim like you do in Tera?

BTW, if this game didn't had huge weapons, it would be impossible to PVP with melee clases xD.

And to answer your question about targetting, yes and no. By that I mean that some skills are completely skill-shot based and some aren't, although you can dodge every skill in-game by combat dodging as shown in the video.

That's why I enjoy the prospect of GW2 combat, because true player will skill come in the form of how players move about the field and how they choose to engage. I don't see why the opposite of rooting someone in place when they swing a sword aquates to bunny-hopping. Tera will have its style of action combat and so will GW2 and each will offer an interesting experience that will diviate from the norm. However you simple won't find a fight as intense like this in Tera, which seems so slow in comparison (yes, I have seen vids of other classes in Tera).

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by Kyelthis

That's why I enjoy the prospect of GW2 combat, because true player will skill come in the form of how players move about the field and how they choose to engage. I don't see why the opposite of rooting someone in place when they swing a sword aquates to bunny-hopping. Tera will have its style of action combat and so will GW2 and each will offer an interesting experience that will diviate from the norm. However you simple won't find a fight as intense like this in Tera, which seems so slow in comparison (yes, I have seen vids of other classes in Tera).

That vidoe does not show any kind of intensety. Blowing through mobs over and over like Ninja Gaiden is not what I am looking for. Locking in place makes the player have to use more skill. When you dont you get combat like this where the player just circles mobs spamming skills. Where is the stratagy in the combat?  Guild Wars 2 sounds great on papar but when you see the videos its not  there. First time I seen how pvp works and thats the same as Warhammer where you constantly spawn and die. Thats not real pvp. When she feel on the ground and threw the projectals was cool though.

Originally posted by Mannish

*snip*

That vidoe does not show any kind of intensety. Blowing through mobs over and over like Ninja Gaiden is not what I am looking for. Locking in place makes the player have to use more skill. When you dont you get combat like this where the player just circles mobs spamming skills. Where is the stratagy in the combat?  Guild Wars 2 sounds great on papar but when you see the videos its not  there. First time I seen how pvp works and thats the same as Warhammer where you constantly spawn and die. Thats not real pvp. When she feel on the ground and threw the projectals was cool though.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. You believe it requires more skill in Tera's combat because it deals with timing and knowing when to use your abilities, without leaving yourself open. I believe it requires more skill in GW2's combat because position and movement are key, along with using abilities appropriately.

So it's really not the case here of which game has better combat but which game would satisfy us best. Like in Super Street Fighter 4, my favourite fighters aren't the generic Ryu/Ken shouto fighters that everyone plays, but the ridiculously mobile Juri and Ibuki. So it comes to no surprise that I would prefer GW2's combat over Tera's. image

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Cochran1

Combat reminds me of many single player action games, the boss charges his power move, he growls puts his weapons up and then assaults giving a good 3 to 5 seconds for you to move or block. Once you get a his tells down all you have to do is follow the rythm. The AI seems non reactive too, it doesn't interupt and go after the one he has aggro on. It just finishes the move even if it hasn't started the actual move. Just seems tedious for a nine and a half minute fight.

Well you are very observant except for one little thing,  This bam is around lvl20ish and is the 2nd bam you will encounter at that lvl.  Ofcourse it will be slow at showing its tells, and the game does have interrups on mobs.  imo the mob ai is the best of any game out on the market to date (speaking from a player that has a max character in the game).

Tedious ?  sorry this an't wow ,tor, or rift.  If you want casual easy mode go play those games.   This video showed off a mob that normaly takes a party of 5 to take down,  having only 2 players at that level is quite good.   But I guess you can't understand the meaning of a challenging game.

~sorry for the rant but misinformed noobs put me on edge~

WhenI say slow, I mean the mob gives you too much time to react. With action combat the less time you have to react the quicker you have to think. Take Dark Souls for instance, the first boss fight when you step out on the ledge above the boss it doesn't give you more than 2 seconds before it knocks the ledge out from under you. That's good AI reaction.

Also I'm not talking about player interupts I'm talking about the AI inteupting itself as in the mob itself stopping it's attack and changing it's tactic. Of course I guess you can't have wonderful graphics and an innovative creature AI too so they did what they could.

As for educating the misinformed, you could learn to do it without trying to insult people.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

*snip*

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. You believe it requires more skill in Tera's combat because it deals with timing and knowing when to use your abilities, without leaving yourself open. I believe it requires more skill in GW2's combat because position and movement are key, along with using abilities appropriately.

So it's really not the case here of which game has better combat but which game would satisfy us best. Like in Super Street Fighter 4, my favourite fighters aren't the generic Ryu/Ken shouto fighters that everyone plays, but the ridiculously mobile Juri and Ibuki. So it comes to no surprise that I would prefer GW2's combat over Tera's. image

The thing is I dont see position and movment. I see run away from the mob and spam skills. There is no stratagy in that. We were talking about combat so thats what I replied about. There is no such thing as what game will satisfy us best because you are only one person. You mean what game will satisfy you the best because you cant speak for everybody. When it comes to which game will satisfy me TERA is clearly the game.image

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

It would be wise to be skeptical about this game along with all upcoming MMOs.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

*snip*

The thing is I dont see position and movment. I see run away from the mob and spam skills. There is no stratagy in that. We were talking about combat so thats what I replied about. There is no such thing as what game will satisfy us best because you are only one person. You mean what game will satisfy you the best because you cant speak for everybody. When it comes to which game will satisfy me TERA is clearly the game.image

What I meant was "what game will satisfy each of us best" (does that even change the meaning... whatever). I guess I need to proof-read my posts more often.

Well if you see no positioning and movement in GW2 combat then that is a shame, but it doesn't mean it isn't there. There are many skills that have different properties depending on where you are, relative to your foe (like this one) and those skills are there for those skilled enough to utilize them (not people playing the game for the 1st time in conventions).

• apraxasapraxas Member Posts: 1

Guys, you have to remember there is a learning curve in any mmo, and tera is no exception, These centaur things are among the first bams players encounter, yes they are slow and give you time to react, its part of the learning process. As the game progresses, monsters increase their speed 10 fold and thats when the AI kicks in, a lvl 20 giant is far easier than a lvl 50 giant that utilises AI and attacks 10 times faster, by AI patterns i refer to the mob trying to get rid of melee attackers, randomly trying to kill the ranged players etc. This is a behaviour not present on low level mobs.

You guys say the gameplay is slow too, but guys you are seeing the SLOWEST-HARDEST hitting class in the game kill a monster meant for a 5 man party, also, this is a NA player playing on korea, if you see a korean play the animations are extremely fluid, specially with attack speed upgrades, it doesnt look anything like this video.

You have to play high level content +50 in order to experience the true action combat that will keep you on the edge of your seat, and those mobs will punish you severely if you get distracted.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by YouNube

Yes, so it does usually take 5 people to take down, does this change the fact, that it still does the same thing even for 4 minutes instead of 9? 

The point is, that no matter how shiny it looks, the concept is the same. You go to it, even if you dont have to TAB-TARGET it, you still use 1-5 skills and just dodge the mobs attacks. So what is so awesome about it ?

I played vindictus and DCUO for a really long time, so im allowed to say, this combat style is fun, but the fun doesnt last long enough. But its also limiting. Being able to hit only 1 target, no matter what skill combos you have to use, lowers the skill cap.  Just to give an example - if you for example play some CC class, you NEED to be able to target different people, or as a healer you also need to be able to target different people. Being able to do a couple of things at one time is what makes you a good and skilled player. And that differs the good players from the really good players. No matter MMORPG, MOBA, RTS or w/e. Where if you have just a crosshair, most of the time you will be doing whatever is that  to only 1 target at a time.

I understand what you mean but it actually depends on how the skills work rather than the targeting system. In dcuo the healer's heals go to the target with the lowest health which means you dont need a cross hair or whatever. And when it comes to managing multiple targets, it can be a pain if you have too many people in front of you but if you don't its actually a matter of facing your character in the right direction.

This is not a game.