Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering starting MO, but cautious...

VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Well title says it all really. I am an old school MMO player that always likes to have something to play in my free time and, quite honestly, I am sick to death of today's shallow lifeless MMOs. My best memories of playing are still from EQ some 12 years ago, which to my mind says it all in terms of where the market has gone since then.

I have followed MO for a while, reading, watching vids and at times get quite excited about playing. But, I am cautious every time I read about the large amount of bugs, low population, SV on verge or bankruptcy ot whatever doom-and-gloom story pops up about this game.

So I thought I would ask for some guidance from people who know the game better than I do about whether it's worth giving it a try. Happy to take both positive and negative views, just want to be better informed really before I take up the 14 day trial.

Comments

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Dont.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

I'll just play the neutral card and tell to try the trial (don't buy it before you try it out). Worst case scenario is you losing the time you spent installing it (if you have unlimited bandwidth). If you decide to do so, do tell us about your experince :)

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

The trial is free so give it a try and see for yourself.

Most people here will tell you the game is a mess, and with good reason. Just browse through some of the threads here and you'll se multiple reasons why MO has the horrible rep it has. It's is just a very unfinished and poorly made product, with perhaps the most unprofessional dev team ever witnessed in the history of MMO gaming. Their financials are showing that they're bleedning subs and money rapidly, meaning development will probably be even slower and even less professional in the coming months.

You might have fun for a while depending on your mindset and personal preferences - if you like forced first person view, free-for-all PvP with full loot, if you don't mind numerous bugs and a general lack of polish - but in the long run most people tend to quit the game, for a number of reasons. Result: the population is very low and consists of a group of longtime, diehard fans, most of which are RPKs.

So if you're looking for a solid sandbox game with multiple playstyle options, look somewhere else. MO is basically a deathmatch arena with some boring grind piled on top.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Dont.

• RussiannRussiann Member Posts: 24

Ill take your money, if you dont need it...... its a usless game, its gonna die soon

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

try the trial then you have nothing to loose.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Check out the trial and see for yourself, it is cool game imo but its still in beta stage. I havent played in maybe 4-5 months but it was kinda buggy last i played and there is a big lack of PvE content. So atm there is mostly just PvP and crafting for you to do. There is coming an expansion soon though that will add alot of PvE and dugneons etc so might wanna wait until then if PvE is something you want.

This game will be great once its "finished" though, but atm its lacking in alot of areas. But still worth checking out, i enjoyed my time in it and i play it on and off and i will try out the new expansion when it releases.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• amadmanamadman Member Posts: 19

Its one of those love it or hate it games. Give the trial a go and decide for yourself.

Even with all its flaws, you will not find another game like it.

"In MO, even the haters are hardcore!" - ltank

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Vonatar

Well title says it all really. I am an old school MMO player that always likes to have something to play in my free time and, quite honestly, I am sick to death of today's shallow lifeless MMOs. My best memories of playing are still from EQ some 12 years ago, which to my mind says it all in terms of where the market has gone since then.

I have followed MO for a while, reading, watching vids and at times get quite excited about playing. But, I am cautious every time I read about the large amount of bugs, low population, SV on verge or bankruptcy ot whatever doom-and-gloom story pops up about this game.

So I thought I would ask for some guidance from people who know the game better than I do about whether it's worth giving it a try. Happy to take both positive and negative views, just want to be better informed really before I take up the 14 day trial.

I have played it. Worst total gaming experience in my life.  EVen SWG was better after all the nerfs.  I think they may have a free trial, but do NOT spend money on this - it would only encourage the developers.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by amadman

Its one of those love it or hate it games. Give the trial a go and decide for yourself.

Even with all its flaws, you will not find another game like it.

I agree you will not find another game like it, that is not a compliment tho.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Give it a try. It's true that there is only two parts to the game, crafting and pvp. But that doesn't mean you won't have any fun. Their is a lot to do and discover for a first time palyer if that's the kidn of thing your interested in. Is it buggy? Yes, it is. But it's still a fun and unique game compared to other mmos. If your looking for something different, I would say their is a chance you will enjoy it. Just be sure to join a guild that can help you along so you don't get discouraged immediately.  And most players, depending on where you start, are nice and will be willing to at least give you some guidance.

But if your looking for pve or fluff oriented activities, I highly advise you to wait until a month after the next expansion. That way they have  chance to iron out the more major bugs and you will have dungeons, pve, and other activities to explore.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Sure it's worth a try, a trial at least.  After a month of playing SWTOR, kind of getting bored already, decided to play MO again to get my sandbox fix.  Was suprised actually by the decent amount of people doing the same.  World was not as dead as I thought it was going to be.  If you can get past the insane amount of bugs and utter lack of polish, you might have some fun for a while.  Previous poster was right, no other game like it really.  Don't know how long I can last in the game, hopefully new expansion will come soon and have some some decent features (but I am not holding my breath!).

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Originally posted by psyknx

Dont.

When I clicked this thread, this was what I intended to write in my reply, but found it had been done, more than once even.

Wise word... Listen to it.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by PieRad

Dont.

When I clicked this thread, this was what I intended to write in my reply, but found it had been done, more than once even.

have you even played it?

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Every player is different.  The free trial allows everyone to try it out personally, which is the only real test for each individual.  It's better than relying on forums.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Originally posted by deathshroud

Originally posted by PieRad

Dont.

have you even played it?

Yes, I have.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

You will not be informed about anything useful on this forum, for the most part.

Here is what you need to know before you start your trial:

When you get in game, find a weasal spawn...  almost every town you start in has one (do not start n Gaul Kor).

Stab the weasal once so it aggros, and block it.  Spend the next several hours blocking the weasel, and resting.  This will raise your stats which is the first thing any starting character should do.  You can max out any stats you need in less than one day.

---

Your initial game experience will change dramatically if you max your stats out _first_ and then begin to explore the game.  Starting characters are like 3 year olds stat-wise, so get to an adult level of stats and you will be able to enjoy exploring the game much more.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Hey Vonatar!

I've been in the exact same boat as you. There seems to be quite a lot people feeling the same.

I have also avoided MO due to being released prematurely. Recently I decided to give trial a go to see how far they got on my own eyes.

And I was in for a surprise. I'm having a great experience as a newby. Indeed, the game still is buggy, but I probably encountered mode bugs in a month of SW.

GMs seem very helpful and when I needed their help it took them about a minute to respond.

World can be very harsh but that indeed is soooo refreshing to the boringness of themepark mmos'. You do need a bit of a thick skin so be warned! On the other hand you'll find quite a lot of helpful players as well.

Fact is the game has become much better since release, so all in all it's definitely worth at least a trial.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by StarI

Hey Vonatar!

I've been in the exact same boat as you. There seems to be quite a lot people feeling the same.

I have also avoided MO due to being released prematurely. Recently I decided to give trial a go to see how far they got on my own eyes.

And I was in for a surprise. I'm having a great experience as a newby. Indeed, the game still is buggy, but I probably encountered mode bugs in a month of SW.

GMs seem very helpful and when I needed their help it took them about a minute to respond.

World can be very harsh but that indeed is soooo refreshing to the boringness of themepark mmos'. You do need a bit of a thick skin so be warned! On the other hand you'll find quite a lot of helpful players as well.

Fact is the game has become much better since release, so all in all it's definitely worth at least a trial.

Wow thanks! This is the kind of post I never dared think anyone would write about this game. I like to think I am pretty well informed about the state of the game, but the concept and potential just seem awesome....if they can ever pull it off properly.

So, did you manage to find a nice guild? If I did try it out, that would be my top priority.

• darthturtle1darthturtle1 Member Posts: 208

I let my sub run out a little after the TC patch.  It is a buggy game where you will die a lot due to bugs and or lose lots of time gathering, ming etc.  I agree it has gotten better since release but that is not saying a lot since release was a pre alpha stage and it still is in a beta stage. 

The game is all abut crafting to pvp or pvping,  pve is non exsistant, and a joke.  I know they are working on the next new patch but ask any vet.  The patches they put out are full of bugs, placeholders,or contant that was promised does not come out with the patch. 

I reccomend playing a couple trials since you can play as many trials as emails you make.  The game can be fun for a month then you are like wow I am pretty much done what do I do now pvp??  And then you see the horrible prediciton system and have people hitting you from 10 feet away or from behind when they are in front of you on your screen, what makes that worse is the vets know how t game that system.

One other thing is there has been so many dupes in the game there is so much gold and reare mats that are not so rare to certian guilds.  It really is disheartening.

I find Pshycobilly one of the guys you can really listen to on the state of the game a few months ago he made this post.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/325752/page/1

I know the fialed bug is fixed.  I would like to add things to the list that he did not list.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

If you're an explorer you'll LOVE some of the somewhat hidden spots around the map.

I walked into a cave along the harbor of Toxai and found something like a giant corkscrew pillar and tons of lit rock houses lining the walls, and it was huge. Utterly useless, but some of the best looking places in a game I've seen because of the attention to detail. Some guy was at the bottom by the time I climbed the pillar and back down, and he was marvelling at it too. There needs to be events at places like this, or something that can put them to use, imo. That one place mentioned would make for a great "king of the hill" match, because there is no way to go but up/down, or off. No maneuvering, could be interesting.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

As already said, play the trial, i am currently on the trial myself. I can't comment on the games depth, but theres plenty of people running around, the game its self runs smoothly so far and looks great.

But best of all, the game dosen't insult your intelligence by holding your hand and tells you where to go or how to do things, thats something the player decides for themselves, that alone kicks any of the AAA disney style themeparks into touch.

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

Just did try the free trial and didn't like the controls at all. Also tried Darkfall and in my opinion Darkfall is way better. Since there is free trial for MO you don't have to think about it its free give it a try.
  • xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I play it and have on and off since it was released. I like the fact its not run of the mill, realism is cool, and crafting/gathering is different. Im not a hardcore pvp'er either but like the fact that its dangerous at the same time due to the adrenalin/fear.

I play now and am still working on one of my 6 characters. There seems to be several chokepoints that players need to 'get around' . The first is within the first week or so when you 'get used to the controls' and the basic mechanics of the game. If you get past that the next is the "can you take getting ganked at times and getting your stuff taken". And finally, can you accept Mortal Online for having SV behind it and accepting the bugs, modern warfare kill-counters who dont see it as a 'role-playing game', and a handful of exploitable mechanics that SV doesnt seem to ever fix.

I personally have accepted the above and play it over the themeparks of today.  In addition the "Awakening" expansion due out in months will give the game some fluff and improve the UI.*

*Predicting that several posts below will debate that you cant call it an expansion due to several features were supposed to be in previous expansions, or that stuff from previous expansions still dont work, blah blah. I've been around Mortal and read mmorpg posters for too long without hating it after all this time. It is possible to still like Mortal because my hatred for face-rolling themeparks is greater. In addition, I dont disagree with alot of Mortals mmorpg.com haters either, because actually they are correct in 99% of what they say.

• darthturtle1darthturtle1 Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by xDayx

I play it and have on and off since it was released. I like the fact its not run of the mill, realism is cool, and crafting/gathering is different. Im not a hardcore pvp'er either but like the fact that its dangerous at the same time due to the adrenalin/fear.

I play now and am still working on one of my 6 characters. There seems to be several chokepoints that players need to 'get around' . The first is within the first week or so when you 'get used to the controls' and the basic mechanics of the game. If you get past that the next is the "can you take getting ganked at times and getting your stuff taken". And finally, can you accept Mortal Online for having SV behind it and accepting the bugs, modern warfare kill-counters who dont see it as a 'role-playing game', and a handful of exploitable mechanics that SV doesnt seem to ever fix.

And I think this is MO's biggest problem is it has SV working on it.  They have shown time and time again they really lack the tools or education to make the game.  The kill counters you mention just show the game is an online deathmatch more than an rpg.  And you are right there are many exploits in the game that have come and gone and come again since release without SV being able to get a hand on it.

I personally have accepted the above and play it over the themeparks of today.  In addition the "Awakening" expansion due out in months will give the game some fluff and improve the UI.*

*Predicting that several posts below will debate that you cant call it an expansion due to several features were supposed to be in previous expansions, or that stuff from previous expansions still dont work, blah blah. I've been around Mortal and read mmorpg posters for too long without hating it after all this time. It is possible to still like Mortal because my hatred for face-rolling themeparks is greater. In addition, I dont disagree with alot of Mortals mmorpg.com haters either, because actually they are correct in 99% of what they say.

The green paragraph you actually said it better than anyone else can.  Most of the stuff in the "expantion" is core features that should have been in the game at release or soon after.  And yes you are correct again there are "features" still not working and or finished from previous patches or "expansions". 

I agree that themeparks suck.  But would I pay for a non working "sandbox" over a themepark??  I got a better Idea how about I just do not play or pay for a game just because my choice is a non working sandbox or a themepark.  I do not know why people are so addictied to games that is the choice a lot of people mention.  Find a new hobby take your wife or gf on a date. 

I only like playing sandboxes.  Right now there is not one worth me paying for it except EVE.  And I do not feel like playing EVE right now.  And I love Star Wars but I am not that much in love to pay for the theme park even tho every friend I know plays SWOTOR.  So my choice is not between a themepark and a non working sandbox.  I just don't pay for one and I am waiting for one that is worth the money.

If MO was $5 a month I would most likely still be playing.  But $15 is a price tag meaning the game is done working and mostly bug free and better be exploit free, and all the content they are adding is not CORE features but just new fluff on top of thw working core..  Which MO is not.