Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TERA really Lineage 3?

ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

All this talk of the TERA folks stealing L3 source code - where is L3? Did it get cancelled?  How much of TERA is what L3 was supposed to be?

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

The actual court documents are posted in both big threads about the topic, at the very top, that go in-depth about just what was stolen and the possible resulting damages, if you're really that curious.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lineage+3+TERA#

The things they stole (copied actually) you can find in the legal documents if you really want to know. There is no L3, so comparing that to TERA will be hard. There are certainly similarities and TERA is said by some to have a "Lineage feel" to it, but whether that's enough to stop it from coming out is another matter. Bluehole would probably say they only tried to save their baby, but they know they did a few things that were questionable.

It's up to the the lawyers and courts to decide what happens next.

imageimage
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Qazaam

All this talk of the TERA folks stealing L3 source code - where is L3? Did it get cancelled?  How much of TERA is what L3 was supposed to be?

After L2 was done,  they started concept work on L3 (building source codes and what not).  NC cancelled the work on it (i guess because L2 was doing so well and wanted to focus more on that)  This angered a few of the developers that was working on it and they had a falling out with NC.  When they left NC 3 of the dev's took the source codes that they were working on and tried to get a publisher in Japan to finance the project.  The Jananese publisher told the authorities and the 3 devs got in trouble and went to court.  The court ruled in fav of NC and ordered the source codes returned to NC and a fine 3 bil won was issued.  The 3 dev's appealed the verdict and the fine was over turned, the source codes were returned to NC.

After the court ordeal with NC,  the 3 dev's started up their own company,  licenced the rights to UE3 engine and started work on Tera. 

That is a short timeline of what happened, so u decide what is truth and what is not.  I think NCsoft feels jaded and will never let it go.  NC has made lots of clames but the burden of proof that tera is L3 lays in NC hands,  and they have yet to prove it.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Thanks for the answers folks :D

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Basicly, a few developers were working on an alpha Lineage 3. NC wanted them to go in a direction they didn't like, so they up and quit NC and took their code and began making their own game. How substantial the code they took with them is the prime issue and also if they acually 'took' it rather than just starting again allong the same lines.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

I read somewhere L3 got canceled for now when the tera team stole the things from the lineage 3 project. But i read recently that Lineage Eternal isnt either a official L3 so i have hope that they start again to work on  new lineage 3.