Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Future PC Problem.

BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

I plan on building a new PC  very soon. Problem is I have several MMo's in mind that I want to play. Firefall, GW2, ArcheAge, Secret World all sound like games I would very much be intrested in. I want to build a PC that will play all these mmo's and some. Wich MMO do i base my build around? My plan was to build a PC  for ArcheAge or GW2 and hope all other games run smooth on it. I'm not sure if that is a good idea. Let me know if im making a mistake. If you have a better sugjestion let me know. I just want to build a PC that will play future MMo's very well.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

ArcheAge looks like it will be the game that will require a really good pc to run at full settings.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

I'd advise against picking hardware to target one particular game.  Rather, get a generally good gaming machine and that will probably run whatever game you want to play pretty well.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by viddiot007
              I plan on building a new PC  very soon. Problem is I have several MMo's in mind that I want to play. Firefall, GW2, ArcheAge, Secret World all sound like games I would very much be intrested in. I want to build a PC that will play all these mmo's and some. Wich MMO do i base my build around? My plan was to build a PC  for ArcheAge or GW2 and hope all other games run smooth on it. I'm not sure if that is a good idea. Let me know if im making a mistake. If you have a better sugjestion let me know. I just want to build a PC that will play future MMo's very well.

ArcheAge looks like it will be the game that will require a really good pc to run at full settings.

ArcheAge uses cryEngine3. if you take a look at games that currently run it, the system requirements are:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis_2#Development

What's listing there is starting to get quite dated...
    I think you should do some research on current PC games so you can get some idea about purchasing affordable current technology, that will last you the next 1-2 years.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• aranhaaranha Member UncommonPosts: 171

Generally what you want you do when building a gaming PC that will last for a longer time is that you get pretty normal parts like:

Standard i7 proccessor

Good stable motherboard (a good Asus card forexample)

Good Ram (corsair forexample)

700w+ Powersupply (dont recommend lower) *DO NOT BUY CHEAP PSU's!!!!!!*

Nowadays you dont need top of the line Graphic cards to play games so anything thats Nvidia 560 or higher.

And its not even that expensive and you can run pretty much anything on a basic good setup PC.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

You don't need top of the line computers to make games look spectacular.  You have to remember that game developers know, with almost absolute certainly, where the computer hardware market will be when they release the game.  Using that info, they try to figure out where the technical capabilities of the gamer demographic and tailor the graphics and system requirements of their game.

Generally, when I do hardware updates to my own computer, I look for motherboards which are upgradable to the newest processors and RAM.  Then I generally take a few steps back on the iterations of that technology: for example, if the best video card out there is an AMD Radeon 7970 for ~$600, I take a few steps back and purchase a couple of 5700's and save myself $300 for other components.  Stack the max on RAM because it's always the most bang for your buck.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

My take on this is similar to Quizzicals:

Do not buy or upgrade a computer for a game that isn't out yet.

Wait until the game is out, and you own the game.

There are a few reasons for this:

a) You may not even like the game after it's released
    b) Hardware specifications, or even just what hardware the game runs on, can change a good deal from Beta to Release, and even a bit from Open Beta to Release
    c) Your current computer may be able to play it just fine as it is.
    d) After the game is released, you can look at the benchmarks and see if it runs particularly better on various hardware (like nVidia vs AMD, or AMD vs Intel)
    e) By the time the game really releases, we may see entire new generations of hardware, and for the same price you could have a lot more performance (how many times do games make it on their release date after all?)

Now if you are just wanting a generic good gaming computer, then generally there is no reason to wait, with a slight exception. Right before a major hardware release, you may want to consider it (such as when Sandy Bridge was poised to release, as it came out cheaper than many of the CPU's it upgraded). But mostly, if you build a solid gaming kit, it will be solid for 2-3 years, with upgradeability out to 4-5 before your looking to start all over again with an entire computer.

But if you are shooting for a very specific title, but otherwise are fine with what you have, I would definitely wait for the above reasons.

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

Thanks for the replies. After looking at your replies and doing some research, building a general PC would probably be best. I was gonna build a PC based on ArcheAge's specs but like one of you said its pretty dated. Thanks for all the help, and feed back.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

If you plan on playing the secret world i'd advise investing in an SSD for the build (although i'd suggest one for any PC, new or upgrade) as it uses the same engine as AoC and can be quite intensive loading textures from the hard drive, an SSD all but eliminates that and the hitching caused by it.

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

Originally posted by Kabaal

If you plan on playing the secret world i'd advise investing in an SSD for the build (although i'd suggest one for any PC, new or upgrade) as it uses the same engine as AoC and can be quite intensive loading textures from the hard drive, an SSD all but eliminates that and the hitching caused by it.

Cool thanks for the info. Wasnt considering SSD until you mentioned it. Hope I can find them for reasonable prices.