Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of WarPlanes: More Than Tanks in the Sky

2»

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

To the poster above, I have to completely disagree with your post, in WOT it makes a huge difference in tier's 7 on up.  Yes there is definitely an element of skill that supercedes ammo, but if your opponent(s) know what they are doing you might just as well hit escape, it does make a big difference.

Wow did not realize they left out the Brits in this game.  How woefully idiotic.  The soviet airforce was a ongoing joke in WWII, the only good planes they had were the Brit and American ones obtained through lend lease.  Needless to say the pilots were not very good either.  If Germany had not had severe production issues due to allied bombing, the russians would have had no airpower at all.

Without the Brits this game is just a huge joke.  Just avoid this game, it will be so historically inaccurate as to be absurd.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

>>The soviet airforce was a ongoing joke in WWII, the only good planes they had were the Brit and American ones obtained through lend lease.<<

Oh, don't be ridiculous. Early-years planes were indeed substandard, but later in the war - since 1943 - soviet planes were at least on par with competition.

As for ammo making a big difference - whatever you say. I haven't noticed it through all my time there, though, and my 55% victory rate on tanks >7 tier which never used premium ammo support it. But that's all purely subjective. If you feel you aren't competitive without premium ammo - then it's so for you. But not necessarily for others.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Originally posted by Grahor

>>The soviet airforce was a ongoing joke in WWII, the only good planes they had were the Brit and American ones obtained through lend lease.<<

Oh, don't be ridiculous. Early-years planes were indeed substandard, but later in the war - since 1943 - soviet planes were at least on par with competition.

As for ammo making a big difference - whatever you say. I haven't noticed it through all my time there, though, and my 55% victory rate on tanks >7 tier which never used premium ammo support it. But that's all purely subjective. If you feel you aren't competitive without premium ammo - then it's so for you. But not necessarily for others.

The Yak-9 was an ok plane...though I wouldn't consider it the equal of either the Fw-190 or the BF109-G, it was close enough to be competitive. Earlier Soviet aircraft got chewed alive.

Point though is that historicaly the importance of the role the VVS played, particulary in regards air vs air combat definately doesn't outmatch that played by the RAF.

If you were going to include nationalties in an air combat game based on WWII in order of historical importance it would probably be something like Germany, Britain, US, Japan.

The Soviets would probably tie for importance with Italy. They just didn't play that pivotal of a role for the Red Army compared to how other nations used air support. In fact, generaly the Red Army relied more on ground based anti-aircraft weapons more for air defense then they did fighters. Probably more Luftwaffe craft were downed due to ground fire then anything else on the East Front.

As far as the game itself. I found WoT kinda ok in an arcade-style, casual diversion. There were some strategy/tactics to it....but not something anyone seriously interested in wargaming would find satisfying. It definately struck me as having a very serious pay 2 win aspect.....but wasn't overwhelming if you were playing it casualy in random games.

It suffered from some bugs and play balance issues (particularly in regards artillery & heavies) but wasn't a bad game if you were interested in a beer n' pretzels style tank shooter...... not enough to hold my interest for more then a couple weeks though.

I'd pretty much expect more of the same from World of Warplanes.

Excuse me, but Soviet planes were never on par with any other nations during any period of the war.  They did have one decent  ground support plane that could take alot of damage, but the rest of their air force was junk except for the lend lease planes and parts were hard to come by for them.  Know your history before making inaccurate statements.

Anyways the soviets as someone said above used their air force primarily for ground support.  They had tons of anti-aircraft so why build expensive fighters?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    We have a new WoW on the way. Lol.
    Hope we can fight air to ground sometime. I admit I never played WoT. It not a MMORPG. But its multiplayer and free, with huge faction wars like MAG.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ChiremChirem Member Posts: 5

i love WOT... I hope that they do a good work here also

Not only were they not on par they were sub standard at best even post 1943, yeah they came out with some better planes after the war, but none of them were ever functional during it.  You just don't seem to get that the soviets were not interested in an air force that was mostly grounded during the winter.  They had a choice in what their factories made and tanks were the primary need.  Not to mention that their pilot training was poor at best.

The only saving grace for the soviet air force was that Hitler pulled most of his air force back to Germany to combat the bombing, otherwise they would have been nonexistent, the German fighters were so superior.

• ViktaalViktaal Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by vonslasha

i love the current WOT pay model. it keeps all the whinny little kids and people who want everything for free out of the game. 

Enjoy the game with your limited fan club. Most people expect something in return for their time and subcription fee. WoT offers nothing of value, but constantly asks for more $$$$$. This game does not have the content of a game like WoW and should be priced accordingly. You may think you are leet as you purchase ammo to use, but all in all, the Devs are laughing all the way to the bank on your ignorence and blind consumerism.