Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Pathfinder is using the Hero Engine..?

burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

I like the style of graphics in SWTOR and if these are translated well to Pathfinder Online, I think it will be a very beuatiful looking game!

It has promise, I hope it to be the EQ3, Vanguard 2 , style game to fill the void. I was never much one for Sandbox games, as I found it hard to find direction and keep my interest, however, with the hybrid, Sandbox/Themepark syle, this game could be the exception.

All they need now is a big publisher to back them and keep the funding alive so we can get awesome support, and an Awesome Collectors edition! ;)

Hope to see the game go to BETA in 2013.....

Perpahs EA or Activision Blizzard could pick it up (Maybe this is the "TITAN" Project Blizzard have been talking about?)

Just please, no SOE!!

Comments

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Personally, if PO's art follows TOR's style, It might stop me from anticipating it...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by DeaconX

Personally, if PO's art follows TOR's style, It might stop me from anticipating it...

You do realise that the Hero engine, especially the modern version of it, isn't what dictated the style used in TOR? The engine itself is capable of much more.

• MarkusanMarkusan Member Posts: 92

If you are looking for a sandbox/theme park hybrid, check out archeage as well. Will come before Pathfinder most likely and should provide good entertainment while waiting for pathfinder.

• PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231

I agree that the engine doesnt have anything to do with the artsytling of the games but if the hero engine in general is still having issues as far as ability delay and requires major instancing and sharding because because the engine cant handle too many people on screen then i still wouldnt favor this engine for PF.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

good news, imo, if it looks like swtor. i always liked a slightly stylized/cartoony graphics style. helps the graphics age better, too.

EDIT: of course they'll have their own style, but still...

EDIT2: and even if it does require heavy instancing, i think that fits in well the d+d basis.

• herniterherniter Member Posts: 14

The Hero Engine is the worst ever choice for a sandbox MMO.  Even with tons of instancing "which runins a sandbox" SWTOR lags like a boss when more than 20 people show up.  Biggest mistake by Bioware / EA to develope a MMO on that engine, waste of millions of dollars and potential.  My PC specs are 2600k @ 4.2, 8gigs ram, 570gt 1.2gb, I should not drop to 10 FPS when in a small skirimish and sub 10 FPS when 25 or so people show up with those specs.  

TERA looks 10x better than SWTOR and doesn't lag one bit.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by DeaconX

You do realise that the Hero engine, especially the modern version of it, isn't what dictated the style used in TOR? The engine itself is capable of much more.

I've read that.    Which doesn't surprise me.   BioWare is not known for it's engine work.   And while it was known for it's story work, frankly, they've been going down hill for a very long time in that department.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by herniter

The Hero Engine is the worst ever choice for a sandbox MMO.  Even with tons of instancing "which runins a sandbox" SWTOR lags like a boss when more than 20 people show up.  Biggest mistake by Bioware / EA to develope a MMO on that engine, waste of millions of dollars and potential.  My PC specs are 2600k @ 4.2, 8gigs ram, 570gt 1.2gb, I should not drop to 10 FPS when in a small skirimish and sub 10 FPS when 25 or so people show up with those specs.  

There is nothing wrong with the engine it is very capable..

No idea what bioware did to make SW:TOR a pile of arse that it is but its not the engine.

In my time i spent with the engine i was very impressed with what it could do.. it can do large open world games, it can do FPS style games, you dont have to ahve instances, never had any lag issues in the tests I did or graphics performance issues..

Anyway check out The Repopulation if you want to see what the engine can really do...

http://www.therepopulation.com/

How bioware spent so much on SW:TOR god only knows LOL

Yeah, after getting burned on SWTOR and the Hero Engine I said that at first.  But I did a lot of reading about the design process of SWTOR and the Hero engine and came away with a different picture.

Thing is...    The Hero Engine BioWare used was a partially-functional, single-threading prototype which BioWare very heavily modified.    At no time did BioWare ever ask for help from the Hero engine people in making the engine work better.   And, mostly, what BioWare wanted were the development tools surrounding the Hero Engine.   Not the engine itself which, as I mentioned, they heavily modified.

The Hero Engine of today is not the crap partially-functional prototype BioWare failed to develop into something worthwhile.   How good it is...    I don't know.    But having played enough BioWare games to know they couldn't develop a decent 3D engine to save their lives...   I can't automatically assume it was the Hero Engine.  

Originally posted by Caldrin

No idea what bioware did to make SW:TOR a pile of arse that it is but its not the engine.

In my time i spent with the engine i was very impressed with what it could do.. it can do large open world games, it can do FPS style games, you dont have to ahve instances, never had any lag issues in the tests I did or graphics performance issues..

Anyway check out The Repopulation if you want to see what the engine can really do...

Fully animated voice overs.   They're killer expensive to make.    And every 'kill 10-rats' side quest has them.  

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by MosesZD

Originally posted by Caldrin

Fully animated voice overs.   They're killer expensive to make.    And every 'kill 10-rats' side quest has them.  

yeah true plus the Star Wars license probally aint cheap :)