Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Megaupload owner gets 50 years!

DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

50 Years!!!

Murderers have gotten less than that.

America can go **** itself.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Kinda hard to sentence someone when there hasn't been a trial. He hasn't even been extradited yet.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

He needed Casey Anthony's Attorney

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Care to provide a link to this information? I find it hard to believe that he was sentenced without even having a trial yet. I think you are a little premature.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

LINK?

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

50? Are they insane?

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Tried to find a source, and there is none. The maximum sentence according to lawmakers is 20 and he hasn't been convicted yet. I kind of hope he doesn't get more than a few years, it's not like he killed someone.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Yeah, I'll believe it when it happens.

~and if it does, then the history books will tell of a time where pissing of a corporate lobby group is a worse crime than murder one, or treason (at least they will give you a soft execution).

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

How old is the guy? I guess they are taking piracy to the next level to really stop the next flood of piraters. Or its an attempt to scare them. 

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I tried doing a search on the OP's topic.

I typed in: Megaupload owner gets 50 years.  All I found was a bunch of posts in other forums.

Then, I got this little blurb from Google:

In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org.

WTH?

Edit: I did the search again and it didnt pop up.  Curious

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by outfctrl

I tried doing a search on the OP's topic.

I typed in: Megaupload owner gets 50 years.  All I found was a bunch of posts in other forums.

Then, I got this little blurb from Google:

In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org.

WTH?

Edit: I did the search again and it didnt pop up.  Curious

If you read the complaint letter from Fox it is about a bunch of links on filesharing sites for the series 'Glee'. One of them is a Megaupload link to a Glee episode so I think that is the connection. It had nothing to do with what you searched except that it had the word 'Megaupload' in it also.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• c0nceptc0ncept Member Posts: 13

Megaupload is a site used around the world. The United States government has no right to shut it down. The owner of the site did not put copyright on there, the public did. The people that posted copyright material for download should be going to prison, not the man who had a good idea and put it on the internet. I used to use megaupload all the time. Now until his trial is won and the site goes back up, I have to search the internet for other sites to download things.

Keep Gaming My Brethren.

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

Originally posted by c0ncept

Megaupload is a site used around the world. The United States government has no right to shut it down. The owner of the site did not put copyright on there, the public did. The people that posted copyright material for download should be going to prison, not the man who had a good idea and put it on the internet. I used to use megaupload all the time. Now until his trial is won and the site goes back up, I have to search the internet for other sites to download things.

I am just confused because on Wikipedia it says Megaupload's headquarters are based in Hong Kong. So how does the US government shut down something in another country? 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by ForTheCity

Originally posted by c0ncept

I am just confused because on Wikipedia it says Megaupload's headquarters are based in Hong Kong. So how does the US government shut down something in another country? 

Because the information being stolen was copyrighted in the U.S. and there are reciprocal agreements between the majority of countries in the world including New Zealand, Australia, and Hong Kong, to assist in enforcing each country's copyright laws among each other. You violate New Zealand's copyright in the U.S. and you can expect to be extradited to New Zealand for prosecution.

Then there are other countries like India, China and Iran that fail to enforce their own copyright laws much less other countries.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams