Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ugh - rumored next-gen console specs

RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,059

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/24/report-next-gen-xbox-to-launch-october-november-2013-with-this/

Nintendo by the end of this year, on a custom AMD 4870.
Xbox by the end of next year, with a custom version of the AMD 6670.

If we follow the current trend of PC games being shackled by console development, we are in for more of the same dark age. The only bright side I can see, is that it's a bit faster than the current 360, and we at least get to something DX11 compatible.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,091

Hooray for chips that don't exist?  There is no R770.  They might have meant RV770.  But it's exceedingly unlikely that they'll use that chip exactly, as Nintendo would surely not want a 55 nm process node or the horrible idle power consumption of what was sort of a beta GDDR5 memory controller.

Furthermore, a Radeon HD 4870 was much faster than a Radeon HD 6670, so even if Nintendo and Microsoft were using the chips claimed, the article has the performance order backwards.

Now, they're almost certainly custom chips, not just off the shelf cards.  If you're going to buy many millions of a chip from AMD and want one custom-done, they'll do it for you.  (They do this for processors, too.)  So if Nintendo or Microsoft went to AMD and said, we want 8 SIMD engines, VLIW4 like in Cayman, 128-bit memory controller, with the Barts memory controller (much smaller and cheaper than Cypress or Cayman memory controller), UVD3, PowerTune, only one monitor support (to save die space), and we want it all on a 28 nm process node, AMD would do it, even though that's borrowing pieces from about 3 or 4 different chips.

I'm not predicting that the chips are going to be that exactly, or even close to it, but I'm just saying that's the sort of thing that AMD would be willing to do for a console if asked.  And then to do a few die shrinks of it to reduce cost and power over the lifetime of the console.