Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ghost And Uzis: The Secret World Trailer

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/27/ghost-and-uzis-the-secret-world-trailer/

Check out this awesome trailer :D

"There’s a still an interesting intangibility to Funcom’s The Secret World: I get the sense that it’s difficult to quantify because that’s the way they want it. Watching their latest trailer, showing off The Blue Mountain area, it has a story and aesthetic that makes me think of a single-player game, but the action smacks of buffs and guilds and raids. What do you think? "

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I definitely like their trailers, and the stuff they are saying about the game. I'm hoping I'll actually like the game as well. :-) In any event, it won't be too long before I get to play.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

also looking forward to this.....been following since the beginning.

• SizzzSizzz Member Posts: 61

While I hope they are successfull with this game as there are some promising traits. Am I the only one who gets annoyed by the immersion destroying dual weilding / side tilting hand guns / SMG?

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Sizzz

While I hope they are successfull with this game as there are some promising traits. Am I the only one who gets annoyed by the immersion destroying dual weilding / side tilting hand guns / SMG?

Lol it's a tiny thing but yeah, I don't care for the gangsta gunning either.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

I agree with OP.. The most epic moment in that trailer is when you just here people panic full force machine gun on all those horrors. Gave me the creeps.. Just thinking "shiiit this will rock!!".

Start to look forward to this very different MMO now.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• VenedVened Member UncommonPosts: 71

There are 9 kind of weapons - and pistols (all kind, so UZI, H&K  too)  are one of them. Other one is assault riffles,  like PPSh, M16, Styer AUG, Ak-47 and so on. So far magic weapon got much less models - only 3 for 3 schools.

Originally posted by Vened

There are 9 kind of weapons - and pistols (all kind, so UZI, H&K  too)  are one of them. Other one is assault riffles,  like PPSh, M16, Styer AUG, Ak-47 and so on. So far magic weapon got much less models - only 3 for 3 schools.

With the way the system works, they can even add new weapon types later and players could unlock new types of weapons as the play so... I hope they add a lot more in the future :) cuz they certainly can and they could get VERY creative.

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

As long as I can use a shotgun and magic, hopefully together, then I am in. I hope Funcom redeems themselves with this game.

Sure as hell going to be fun playing something Lovecraftian.

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

Originally posted by heavyhebrew

As long as I can use a shotgun and magic, hopefully together, then I am in.

That's a good question actually - I'm not sure if you can or can't use two different weapons/combat types at the same time... anyone know?

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by DeaconX

That's a good question actually - I'm not sure if you can or can't use two different weapons/combat types at the same time... anyone know?

If i remeber a post from a developer on their forums.  You can be in jeans and a tank top, weilding a sledge hammer, and casting fire magic.  Or something to that effect.  Yes you can be a shotgun weilding "mage" if thats the skills you take with you.  I believe they will have a chakra system, which is a non visual "gear" system.  That means what you look like wont really matter, your skills and your main weapon will more so.

Im pretty sure your going to be a crappy shot if your set up to be a devastating mage however...at least is should work like that.  Not to say you wont be able to swap builds on the fly and change that however.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

You can have two weapons equipped at the same time and use active/passive skills from both those weapon groups. (Magic is a "weapon" in this context.)

This makes for some really interesting combinations :)

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Originally posted by DeaconX

If i remeber a post from a developer on their forums.  You can be in jeans and a tank top, weilding a sledge hammer, and casting fire magic.  Or something to that effect.  Yes you can be a shotgun weilding "mage" if thats the skills you take with you.  I believe they will have a chakra system, which is a non visual "gear" system.  That means what you look like wont really matter, your skills and your main weapon will more so.

Im pretty sure your going to be a crappy shot if your set up to be a devastating mage however...at least is should work like that.  Not to say you wont be able to swap builds on the fly and change that however.

Good stuff :) and makes sense. I hope more information on all the game's systems starts to come out soon.  Launch doesn't look that far away.  Then again, I won't be surprised if they delay a few months.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

However this 2 kinds of weapons thing is not actually, say, having a sword in one hand and a pistol in the other.  You have 2 weapons type slots, and they automatically are switched depending on the skill/attack you use.  For instance if you are a bare-knuckle brawler who hapens to also use a shotgun you would be switching from punches and special martial arts attacks to shotgun blasts and specials in sequence based on the sequence of skills you follow.

Most of the skills grant bonuses for both your equipped type of weapons, and if you plan it cleverly you can use both weapon types and skills to enhance the effects.

This way you can approach your enemy opening with a barrage of dual pistol fire only to finish it with an up-close and personal series of slashes with your machete, or whatever other combination you like.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

As I said in another thread - this game is probably going to be spoiled by too easy combat.

- Ooh look terrible ghosts! What EVER will we do to them?

- Umm. We just press 1, 2, 3 until they die?

- Oh... right.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Originally posted by tom_gore

As I said in another thread - this game is probably going to be spoiled by too easy combat.

- Oh... right.

The combat in TSW is actually going to be a little more involved than that:

First of all, you have 7 active/7 passive skills that you can change when you grow bored or want to try something new. Like a deck in MTG, you can mix and match to your heart's desire.

Secondly, certain skills put mobs into "states" that can then be exploited by other skills by you or a teammate. Such as a skill that puts a mob into a "burning" state would lead to a skill that does X to a target in a burning state.

No, TSW will not have twitch combat, thank god. But it looks like a very deep strategic combat. Not just spamming the same 6 skills in rotation.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Vened

Are you in the Beta.. Have you seen any of the crafted weapons?

The Ultimate Breakdown

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by Senadina

Originally posted by tom_gore

- Oh... right.

The combat in TSW is actually going to be a little more involved than that:

First of all, you have 7 active/7 passive skills that you can change when you grow bored or want to try something new. Like a deck in MTG, you can mix and match to your heart's desire.

Secondly, certain skills put mobs into "states" that can then be exploited by other skills by you or a teammate. Such as a skill that puts a mob into a "burning" state would lead to a skill that does X to a target in a burning state.

No, TSW will not have twitch combat, thank god. But it looks like a very deep strategic combat. Not just spamming the same 6 skills in rotation.

After spending lots of time reading over the skills in the skill wheel, that's exactly how I understand the combat to be.  There may be a state for every weapon type in which you can put a mob in, and your creativeness in exploiting that state may very well depend on how effective in combat you are.  

Make no mistakes about it, this seems like a thinking man's (or woman's) game from questing, puzzle solving, to combat!