Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wurm Online

therdretherdre Member UncommonPosts: 50

I'm posting this because I'm seeing alot of posts of people being sick of the same old same old and it seems like most people don't know about wurm online.  It has the most creative crafting system I've seen in a mmo (everything is player made) and is completely sandbox.  If you to design / build your own house you can, you can even change/shape the ground beneith you.  Trying to get this game some more notice since it seems to be a hidden gem.  http://www.wurmonline.com/ hows everyone else feel about this? 

It can be difficult to get started, if any1 needs help pm me (same name as here) on the wurm forums

Comments

• jnkyjnky Member Posts: 36

Started playing yesterday

... fkin killed 7 hours of my day off work, 2 hours of that was making a damn fishing pole from scratch to feed myself. not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing to be honest :)

herb...herb is a plant

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137

Wurm is fun, but it's not for the faint of heart. It's the definition of a hardcore mmo and it takes a LOT of time and dedication. That being said, I've never had so much fun exploring the world in an mmo like I have in Wurm.

• BLueBEarBLueBEar Member Posts: 242

Originally posted by jnky
    ... fkin killed 7 hours of my day off work, 2 hours of that was making a damn fishing pole from scratch to feed myself. not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing to be honest :)

Should of asked for a free pole, luckily you won't die of starvation, wurm online is a crafters dream come true mmo, you can terraform the game world and most everything that you see ingame is player made from houses to sailboats to towering colossus's, building a small house or sailboat can take days if not weeks if built alone, materials are gathered, most of the time you have to travel long distances to get the resources, you can tame and breed animals, there are pve and pvp servers to choose. Wurm has a steep learning curve however it can be a rewarding experience if you have the patience and intellect to learn how to survive and deal with the graphics.

Oh my got!!!
    i neber see a graphic of this before,
    i neber p2p any game before, but this game i must!

• jnkyjnky Member Posts: 36

Is there anything similar out there that is more up to date? Im looking at Dawntide but it looks like there will be no terraforming

herb...herb is a plant

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

I had followed dawntide for awhile. The game is coming together pretty slowly. last time i tried it a few monthes ago the game engine wasnt utilizing a computers gpu and was running solely on the cpu. It was rather worrying because it had the potential to fry a cpu. Id like to try it sometime again to get caught up. Wurm online looked fun. I tried it once but never really got into it. definitely seems like something to play with a friend or 2. make a cottage etc :)

I looked into dawntide and it seems that progress on the game has been going well. They are currently in the process of completely reshaping the world and the server will be down for sometime. according to the devs, 1-2 monthes. this was posted on Dec 19th.

Jnky if you want id be interested in trying Wurm with you. Would be nice to have someone to check it out with. lemme know if you are interested

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137

Is there anything similar out there that is more up to date? Im looking at Dawntide but it looks like there will be no terraforming

The closest game that I know of is Xsyon. You might also want to take a look at Haven & Hearth, Salem, Neverdaunt,  and ArcheAge (if it ever comes out in NA).

Xsyon is as close as it going to come to a Wurm 2.0. Salem is being made by the guys behind Haven & Hearth, both are fairly hardcore. Neverdaunt...is difficult to explain. ArcheAge looks like what an mmo is meant to be, a mix between Ultima and Wurm. I'm a little skeptical about ArcheAge beause it's being made in Korea and I've never seen a game from there that was worth playing, so we'll see on that one.

• GeroltGerolt Member Posts: 98

A good thing if you had fun. :)

I remember my first fishing pole. I was living in a commune with four friends. The fishing pole gave me power, respect, and made me the feeder of the group for a while. It was great. Noob time in Wurm is best time.

Just sucks that you can't starve anyway. Makes it all kind of redundant and a little less adventurous. Yes yes, skillgain bonus and all.. but that's not an overly dramatic consequence of not eating.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Got stuck in water and took ages as my screen turned a shade of red. Very slowly as I couldn't find and edge to get up. Lol. Used to play ages ago. Fun being involved in building towns etc.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by Krashner

The closest game that I know of is Xsyon. You might also want to take a look at Haven & Hearth, Salem, Neverdaunt,  and ArcheAge (if it ever comes out in NA).

Xsyon is as close as it going to come to a Wurm 2.0. Salem is being made by the guys behind Haven & Hearth, both are fairly hardcore. Neverdaunt...is difficult to explain. ArcheAge looks like what an mmo is meant to be, a mix between Ultima and Wurm. I'm a little skeptical about ArcheAge beause it's being made in Korea and I've never seen a game from there that was worth playing, so we'll see on that one.

Checking Neverdaunt I found this, it has nothing to do with it but looks good: http://worldforge.org

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

Wurm is a bit of a top down game nowadays. it's been out forever, so unless you start it with a few friends and focus on building your own town, it could be quite boring.

Also, most of the prime spots have been long taken, so unless there's a new server on the horizon, it's not really worth getting into this, even for a sandbox fix.

just play Minecraft, which is basically a more successful child of the mind behind Wurm and be happy

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

I've played wurm and there are some good spots to be had.  I about 30-40 minutes to away fromt he starting area of the paid server and found vast areas of nothing but trees and mountains. A road went through this area and there was access to water and was close to a mountain for rock and ore.

I picked a spot, chopped down a bunch of trees and mine a little bit for rock. I think they give you starter tools or you craft crude tools - I can't remember which. But, I was able to get my cart going and build a 1x2 stone wall around it keep it safe. I can't remember how long all of that  gathering and building took me, but I felt accomplished afterwards.  

The only downside to the game (to me) is the 1st person view. I really don't like that for some reason. I got over it, quickly though. 

• yafesyafes Member Posts: 11

We have new servers called Epic in general. Home servers (semi-pvp) of epic are still largely unsettled. There are too much untouched space all over the land. 

If you really try and want to learn about game, you never have enough time to get bored.