Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

starting out

I just purchased swg and i was wondering what is the best profession to start out as?
thanks

Comments

• joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

Originally posted by cyclone7zim
    I just purchased swg and i was wondering what is the best profession to start out as?
    thanks

It all depends on what you want to do. Do you want mainly combat? Entertaining? (Dancing, Musician) Do you want to be an armorsmith or weaponsmith or build structures (housing, etc)? Do you want to be a politician? You can do everything in SWG.

If you want combat there are some popular combinations. First you really need to decide whether or not you want to use rifles, carbines, or pistols. From there you can base your template off of in which you can go for more elite professions like Bounty Hunter, Commando, Smuggler, Combat Medic and so on and so forth.

I am doing Master Bounty Hunter, Master Carbines, and either some Combat Medic skill for healing or Pistols skill for more melee/ranged defense and ranged accuracy. It all depends. I personally want to be able to hunt jedi when I want to which brings up the Master Bounty Hunter prof. I also want to be proficient and have a weapon that does great damage and has decent speed so I picked carbines, and the 3rd prof is based on what you want to support. Do you want healing or better defense/accuracy? Just depends.

Keep in mind:

Rifles - BEST damage / slow speed
    Carbines - great damage / faster speed
    Pistols - decent damage / fastest speed

Hope this helps.
    Joe

• DoctorSoupDoctorSoup Member Posts: 106
    Dont for get that you can do melee combat professions also which are Teras Kasi(unarmed), Fencer (one handed melee weapons), Swordsman(two handed melee weapons), and Pikeman(polearm weapons). They can all do well too just depends what you want to do.

Thanks

Originally posted by DoctorSoup
    Dont for get that you can do melee combat professions also which are Teras Kasi(unarmed), Fencer (one handed melee weapons), Swordsman(two handed melee weapons), and Pikeman(polearm weapons). They can all do well too just depends what you want to do.

Oops I kinda did forget about the great melee professions. Sorry about that. There are some REALLY good melee masteries that people do as well.

• DoctorSoupDoctorSoup Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by joejccva

Originally posted by DoctorSoup

Oops I kinda did forget about the great melee professions. Sorry about that. There are some REALLY good melee masteries that people do as well.

I figured you knew just writing it so he doesn;t think there is just ranged

Thanks

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Not to mention you can be a Chef, Doctor, Dancer, Medic, Musician, Image Designer (Beautician), Architect, Politician, Pilot, Droid Engineer, Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, Bio Engineer, Creature Handler (Tamer/pet class), Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, Commando errr... well.... ok the list is loooong.

Pick what you like, there are plenty of things to do.

And if you DONT like it, just try something else with the same character because the game isn't linear you can just learn a different profession(s).

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

You can also be a JEDI! But it's not easy to get and it takes a long time with a ton of quests to get to.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by joejccva
    You can also be a JEDI! But it's not easy to get and it takes a long time with a ton of quests to get to.

Bah Jedi suck. Kill them all!

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• WuduLarchWuduLarch Member Posts: 140

Keep in mind that if you take up crafting, you will still still want to take up a combat class, which you should master. While crafting can be very rewarding and fun, you are extremely limited to the content you can experience as a pure crafter.

Best of luck to you.

• Malkith0Malkith0 Member Posts: 5

I'm interested in buying SWG, and I'm also having trouble trying to decide on a class. I think I probably want to focus on combat, but if I can do combat and some crafting, that'd be great, too. I have a question, though: Is piloting a ship also considered a class? One of the big things I want to try to do is be a TIE pilot when I get the Total Experience box.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Thats the beauty of SWG.

a) You can be both crafter and fighter. You may not be the best fighter, but you can be decent (especially if you concentrate on crowd control where sheer damage dealing potential is not THAT important).

b) You dont HAVE to decide on a class. You can ALWAYS change it later. You are NEVER stuck in a class forever like in other games.

I recommend you do all the beginners quests in Mos Eisley by talking to the NPCs there. You will soon find out which of the  6 starting professions appeals to you and from there you can pick an elite profession you like. And the people here will gladly help you to branch out into elite profession combos. Not to mention that we will invite you to our servers so we can help you (Naritus in my case, but we also have people from Lowca, Bria and Eclipse etc. that often invite new players).

Have fun

Erillion

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Originally posted by Malkith0

I have a question, though: Is piloting a ship also considered a class? One of the big things I want to try to do is be a TIE pilot when I get the Total Experience box.

YEs, piloting is a class, but its seperate from the ground game. Becoming master pilot does not take any of your 250 skill points from the ground game.

You can only be master in one of 9 pilot careers. No mixing.

For the Imperial pilot there is :

a) Imperial Inquisition

b) Special Forces (StormSquadron - maybe hardest pilot career in game)

c) Regular Navy

have fun

Erillion

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

Just a view words of advice: If you want to go for any kind of combat profession in order to PvP oder participate in the high lvl PvM parts of the game, you better want to be become a FULL combat char. As your Level (combat level) depends on the number of combat professions (i.e. Masters) you have, you can only reach cap level (80) if you focus on combat related profession (M Doc + M Rifle, for example). If you would go for M Architect and M Fencer you will be something like lvl 50 - which decreases your damage and hitpoints significantly. Not to mention, that combat professions grant you a certain amount of defence points - the more the better.
    In SWG you dont have styles that are specific for a certain profession. If you for example have certain pistol styles, that can root your target, you will also be able to use them with carbines or rifles. By this you can combine Professions with a high dmg output (rifles) with very useful gimmicks of utility professions (pistol).

If you on the other hand want to become a crafter, it is often an advantage to combine certain professions. As M Droidengineer for example you need certain components that have to be crafted by Shipwrights or Master Artisans.

I think you got my point ;)

Good luck in SWG

ah, one last word of caution: Do not try to become a jedi..its a brainless grind, takes months and leaves you with a melee char, that wields a glowy stick, nothing more. All those "wanna be r0x0r" "kiddies running around in open places showing off with their jedi really killed the game for me...