Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Allods Port Forwarding: TCP or UDP

OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

The ports to successfully play/update Allods Online are:

9326-9329

6980 (update server)

My question is, which ports are TCP and which UDP? Am I correct in assuming the 9xxx ports are TCP and the 6980 port is UDP?

Comments

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Just guessing, but mmorpg's almost exclusively run on UDP (except for WoW, I'm sure they have their reasons). Websites etc. run on TCP, and downloading stuff usually comes from a normal web server. So I'd say the update server is TCP, the rest is UDP.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• SilvrnirvashSilvrnirvash Member Posts: 1

i have a simple question. im new to porting forward. like really new. whats the IP address for the game? is it 101? or what?

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

Originally posted by erandur

Just guessing, but mmorpg's almost exclusively run on UDP (except for WoW, I'm sure they have their reasons). Websites etc. run on TCP, and downloading stuff usually comes from a normal web server. So I'd say the update server is TCP, the rest is UDP.

UDP provides no verification of packet's content to put it simple. Simply if you try to transfer data using UDP based protocol between two rooms in your home then transfer should be faster than it is in case of TCP as there is pretty much no error checking (which also consumes time).

However in case of longer distances it may be problematic. Simply if you ever tried to use UDB to transfer some file from Japan to Europe for example then good luck. It may be possible but not without error checking implemented in in application layer of OSI model. Which would result in more network trafic as more data would have to be sent due to errors. In case of infrastructure such as Blizzard's one it could easily result in higher lag and latency, and server side crashes (or in general service accessibility wouldn't be stable).

Additionally I wouldn't bet on TCP for update server too. Allods uses p2p for that and p2p network protocols such as bittorrent for example tend to use UDP together with TCP.

Also most routers I believe allow to forward ports for both TCP and UDP protocols. If you are not sure which one to use then you can either forward both or use network sniffer to see which ports are used by what application (such application can also show which protocol is being used - TCP or UDP).

Sorry for ressing old topic. Just wanted to clarify a few things.