Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long have you been playing WoW?

Greeting everyone. I'm doing a research on World of Warcraft. Here is just three simple questions for it, thank you for participating.

1. How long have you been playing WoW?

2. What is the most important reason that keeps you playing?

3. What is the most different attraction between WoW and other MMORPGs?

Comments

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

Yeah, sure, I'll play along.

1.) Jan '05 - > Oct '08 (Quit) Dec 09 - > April 10 (Quit) -> Oct 10 -> Jan 11 (Quit) -> April 11 -> Aug 11 (Quit)
    2.) Nothing now. Was social aspect though and being able to waste time solo leveling/dungeons.
    3.) It's fairly polished, even if they've no idea what they're doing. I guess fluidity of animations plays the biggest part in that now given how broken community formation and fostering is via Lobbycraft. Terrain variety is nice.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

After 5 years around Dullduar is when I started to call it quits. Just wasn't a fan of WOTLK.

I did however enjoy private server venue of the game, met few great players from all over the world on various private servers. It's funny who you can run into while playing on private servers.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

1. January 2005- November 2008

2. Most polished MMO (not just theme park, MMO period) out. Familiar lore and setting. Good challenge to reward difficulty (not so much these days). Reputable company. Most players. Everything was just smooth

3. It is the most widely known, played, and hated MMO (thought the old republic is close second). It didn't get there for no reason though, it was a really fun game. It starts to lose its appeal after a while though, like anything in life

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

1. January 2005- November 2008

2. Most polished MMO (not just theme park, MMO period) out. Familiar lore and setting. Good challenge to reward difficulty (not so much these days). Reputable company. Most players. Everything was just smooth

3. It is the most widely known, played, and hated MMO (thought the old republic is close second). It didn't get there for no reason though, it was a really fun game. It starts to lose its appeal after a while though, like anything in life

sums it all up perfectly

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by komgcn

Greeting everyone. I'm doing a research on World of Warcraft. Here is just three simple questions for it, thank you for participating.

1. From 3 months before BC came out to Cata. (Took breaks at end of wotlk and quit 3 months after Cata released)

2. Family

3. Family

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

1. Release

2. I still enjoy PvP after all this time, never been more than a casual PvEer.

3. Mainly because almost every MMO released in recent years has lacked quality. Theres only a handful of MMOs that come close to WoW on these terms but they all still lack something. The closest for me has been Rift but I'm not a fan of the aesthetics or class designs in comparision to WoW.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

I played WoW from release to mid 2011. I had a lot of fun during BC in particular. Lol, I was the only mage so all Sunwell mage loot went to me.  I had a good time for quite awhile in WoW. 

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

June 2005 to late Aug 2005 ( I didn't really find joy in the game at first).  Feb 2006 to June 2011 ( I would cancel and re sub at least 6 times during this 5 year period, everytime I quit was due to being burnt out from Raiding)

I was in two incredible guilds that just had a great family and close friends feel.  Running a new dugeon or raid for the first time and learning it with my guild.

I really enjoyed the arcady pace of the game. I would try other games and if they didn't have the same pace, it actually drew me back into playing wow.

WoW is still one of the best MMO experiences I have had and I've had a lot.  I gave Blizzard 5+ years of my life with World of Warcraft and it was great, but now I have moved on to other games.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Jan '05 - Present

I keep playing because of my wife, and the core of the guild I run with has been together for about 6 years now. They are a great bunch of people.

I keep playing WoW because, well the pre-wow era games were great for their time, but are just too old for me to enjoy now, and everything else that's come out has tried to use the WoW model. When I want to play WoW, I'll play WoW and not some half finished copy.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by stamps79

just wanted to point out your avatar... GREAT GAME

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Of and on from fall of 2005. My time between resubs is getting longer and my time played after resubing is getting shorter. Last time I resubbed I played about two weeks. Long enough to say hi to what friends I have left in the game and run a few dungeons and BG's'. Got my main geared for Cata Heroics and just couldnt bring myself to start the grind again.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• manakanamanakana Member Posts: 75

Since beta :)

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

Almost 7 years WoW, until february 2011. RIFT between March-August. Back to wow September-November. SWTOR for about 25 days, didnt finished even the free month. The last 2 weeks i m playing EvE and i can say i m having a blast!

• komgcnkomgcn Member Posts: 4

Survey will end on 28th Feb. More results needed for comparison.

Thank you for everyone support and participation.

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

7 years now. 

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Stopped last year after about  6 decent years.  about 11500 in game hours across characters.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

classic BGs never get old

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I'll answer on behalf of my son who despite a few breaks has played WOW since launch.

1)  Nov 2004, he was about 12 at the time.

2)  His friends all play WOW, and its very easy to jump in and play these days with little preparation or planning.

3)  He's dipped out to try Aion, AOC and LoTRO over the years but finds WOW to have the best blend of BG style PVP (he's done Warsong Gulch literally thousands of times) and PVE dungeon content.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

Started just before the launchg of Naxx 40, deleted a month after Wrath, came back after Cata  on and off

Incompetent competition

other MMORPGs are NEW and fresh

• DarSepkiDarSepki Member Posts: 51

Sure I'll play:

1. From release to Nov '08

2. I stopped playing. But what kept me playing was the group I played with. We were back then a season group of like-minded raiders. 

3. This a loaded question. What attracted me to the game or what I think people as a whole? I am going to try to answer it with one answer, "friends". In all reality I would have quit the game in rage multiple times due to what I considered major flaws in the game, especially in the community aspect, but the friends that I had kept me playing. Other games I looked at lacked an organized effort to get started.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

On and off since open beta.  I played about 75% of the time vanilla was out.  50% of TBC.  30% of WOTLK and like 20% of the time Cataclysm has been out.  I'll likely skip WOW:Kung Fu Panda all together.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I played from release to Spring (I think it was March) of last year. I just re-upped earlier today, though I doubt I'll play anywhere near as much as I used to.

• komgcnkomgcn Member Posts: 4

Last update for research, more results needed.

Thank you for your support and participation.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

On and off so many times since 2005 I can't remember.

I like the shaman class.

Really don't know, it's not that impressive overall, maybe the lack of bugs. Used to like the PvP, but it's not worth paying the monthly fee just for that.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

1.From vanilla

2.Kill  anti-massive multiplayer gamers as much as possible.

3. 2

Let's internet