Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie Information?

Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

I'm strongly interested in mortal online, I like the idea it's getting across; however this game is very hardcore, good thing. However, new player information is scarce, and is diffulcult to fully understand before venturing forth.

After reading a handfull of guides from the forums, and watching the small amount of youtube video's available, I still am at a loss for finding helpful information.

My first plan was to roll a combat character - 'Adventurer' maybe, hitting dungeons and farming monsters. According to the forum's guides, I could also bring the animal carcasses to a butcher and sell it to him. I could also pick up cooking and learn alittle more about being able to survive my adventures outside the world of nave. 

Second was a crafter or farmer. Making a house, taming some animals and selling horse and animal carcass

Third would have been a weapon crafter. 

does anyone have any tips or suggestions on other places I can go to get started Thanks.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

Comments

• RussiannRussiann Member Posts: 24

dont waste your time, game is gonna die soon

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by Sora2810

I'm strongly interested in mortal online, does anyone have any tips or suggestions on other places I can go to get started Thanks.

Yes first go here: http://www.darkfallonline.com/. That is what you are looking for.

Then forget about MO. Insert icepick in your ear through the skull if nessasary. Just forget about it.

Trust us, it's for the best. Shills need to quit giving money to this joke of a company. The MMO community as a whole would be better off.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Russiann

dont waste your time, game is gonna die soon

Doubt it. We both know very well who the primary investor of this game is.

Anyway, I would say the best role to play in this game would be "trader". The reputation attached to a username goes far in an FFA game, and making friends with vets early is a good thing. They usually need people running grunt labor they don't wanna do anymore anyway, and you need to grind some stats by hitting rocks or trees at the beginning anyway. Make it work for you.

A combat character, especially with decent gear, tends to tell people you are worth a fight or simply asking for it (assuming you're a jerk because you have combat skills). Being a pure gatherer/crafter can let you get away with being 'innocent' for a bit, besides the usual asshats that come up on anyone, regardless of who there are. Then you can find a buddy to help you outfit your combat character, with your goods, and hopefully keep the link between you two quiet.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

I'm strongly interested in mortal online, I like the idea it's getting across; however this game is very hardcore, good thing. However, new player information is scarce, and is diffulcult to fully understand before venturing forth.

After reading a handfull of guides from the forums, and watching the small amount of youtube video's available, I still am at a loss for finding helpful information.

My first plan was to roll a combat character - 'Adventurer' maybe, hitting dungeons and farming monsters. According to the forum's guides, I could also bring the animal carcasses to a butcher and sell it to him. I could also pick up cooking and learn alittle more about being able to survive my adventures outside the world of nave. 

Second was a crafter or farmer. Making a house, taming some animals and selling horse and animal carcass

does anyone have any tips or suggestions on other places I can go to get started Thanks.

First of all I suggest going to the official mortal online forums at http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/.  The mmorpg.com Mortal Online forums are FULL of haters.  If you think someone may be a hater, just click on there profile and read through there old posts.  

First tip... Join a guild.  This will help tremendously. 

If you want a lot of gold fairly quickly kill campodens and butcher them yourself.  

Adventuring is fun.  You can walk from one end of the map to the other and 98% of the time no one will kill you.  If you plan on hitting up the dungeons and caves, I suggest going with a decent sized group of players.  The mobs can be difficult, and there are often groups of gankers hanging around these areas.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• darthturtle1darthturtle1 Member Posts: 208

There really are not too many dungeons there are only 2 and a bunch of dungeons not even stocked with anything since release waiting for new ai.  The only dungeons there are is the Risar dungeon (very buggy) and controlled by AQ and a spider cave (very buggy).  Cooking is useless anyone in the forums can tell you that,

Good luck finding people to buy your carcasses everytime you want to sell

Play many free trails to get a feel before you buy.   Do not jump into buying the game you most likely will regret it.

Originally posted by username509

First of all I suggest going to the official mortal online forums at http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/.  The mmorpg.com Mortal Online forums are FULL of haters.  If you think someone may be a hater, just click on there profile and read through there old posts.  

It is also full of realists that will tell you truths about the game and blind fanboys that will tell lies trying to succor people in.  For instance someone saying there are 20k subscrbers when the companies own financials disprove that.

First tip... Join a guild.  This will help tremendously. 

If you want a lot of gold fairly quickly kill campodens and butcher them yourself.  

Adventuring is fun.  You can walk from one end of the map to the other and 98% of the time no one will kill you.  If you plan on hitting up the dungeons and caves, I suggest going with a decent sized group of players.  The mobs can be difficult, and there are often groups of gankers hanging around these areas.  

Mobs are not difficult the AI is very rudementary.  If you are having problems killing a mob all you have to do is jump and it will go back to it's original position.   I have killed the spider queen many times solo.  I do agree with you about traveling from one end of the map to the other and not getting killed, because most of the time you will not see anyone due to the low pop.

I agree to join a guild the game is very solo unfriendly which is a turn off in my book.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

if your after useful information on the game then go to the official site. From looking at those first few posts your not gonig to find anything constructive here.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Originally posted by deathshroud

if your after useful information on the game then go to the official site. From looking at those first few posts your not gonig to find anything constructive here.

Yes because someone warning you to stay away from a crappy broken shell of a game is not useful or constructive, but lying about the state of the game is. I see.

OP is obviously looking for a non-broken, non-themepark MMO. Therefore I pointed him towards Darkfall because that is what he is looking for. You know, a working game.

But if OP must try it (and honestly he should find out for himself the truth) then do the free trials. DO NOT BUY THE GAME FIRST without the free trials.

Just do everyone a favor OP; when you find out what garbage this game is then please come back and let us know.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by bartoni33

Yes because someone warning you to stay away from a crappy broken shell of a game is not useful or constructive, but lying about the state of the game is. I see.

OP is obviously looking for a non-broken, non-themepark MMO. Therefore I pointed him towards Darkfall because that is what he is looking for. You know, a working game.

But if OP must try it (and honestly he should find out for himself the truth) then do the free trials. DO NOT BUY THE GAME FIRST without the free trials.

Just do everyone a favor OP; when you find out what garbage this game is then please come back and let us know.

your telling him to go play darkfall, at the current state darkfall is in with it current population im honestly shocked you would try to dupe someone into that tbh. You could of said wait for 2.0 or gave them some info on darkfall but quite honestly you just invalidated any kind of argument you would like to post by posting that.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/71051-people-thinking-about-trying-game.html

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/71070-new-players-opinion.html

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/69426-trial-account-newbie-experience.html

3 threads from new players off the first page of the public forum

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

your telling him to go play darkfall, at the current state darkfall is in with it current population im honestly shocked you would try to dupe someone into that tbh. You could of said wait for 2.0 or gave them some info on darkfall but quite honestly you just invalidated any kind of argument you would like to post by posting that.

I'll grant you DF is no WoW but it is in better shape pop and playability-wise than MO ever was. Even you can admit that, I hope. If not then...

And the link I put up has all the info on DF he needs. Or he could go to the forums here; haters are there too but you will get that with all games.

Again OP, do the free trial of MO, you may like it. But if you don't then do the free trial of DF. I really don't care other than I hate to see shitty companies like SV get money for the shite they put out.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

I'll grant you DF is no WoW but it is in better shape pop and playability-wise than MO ever was. Even you can admit that, I hope. If not then...

And the link I put up has all the info on DF he needs. Or he could go to the forums here; haters are there too but you will get that with all games.

Again OP, do the free trial of MO, you may like it. But if you don't then do the free trial of DF. I really don't care other than I hate to see shitty companies like SV get money for the shite they put out.

image....You should take his/her advice....if for some reason you land on Mortal...Try Minecraft image

• GeroltGerolt Member Posts: 98

If you only like the idea, stop right there. Everything good you've heard about MO was PR hype. The game is a scam. You're still at a loss for finding helpful information because what you want to do in the game isn't possible. It's a buggy huge empty deathmatch arena and that won't ever change. Don't listen to the "soon" bullshit. They basically haven't implemented anything new since launch.

There are no dungeons to explore, and no monsters to farm. Well. A few. The mobs are even buggier than the dungeons. Killing them is all standing on a spot going "click click click click", sometimes they go invisible on you or reset their position if you jump, etc. You HAVE to bring the carcasses to a butcher. The mobs drop nothing else and the carcasses are worthless if not processed.

Cooking is useless. Useless. Flour is better against hunger than bread, has been like that since implementation. You can survive in Nave quite well - there aren't any dangers in it except of red pk hordes. They're bored and have nothing to do (lack of game mechanics, nothing to fight for), so they roam the land to kill noobs. Else there's nothing. The world is empty. Watch a video, there's never anything in it than red pks.

The farmer doesn't exist. There's no farming or anything.

Oh yea, about 30 people play this pile of shit.

I have some really good advice for you: Don't buy it. You'll be treated like shit by corrupt mods, lied to and scammed by the devs and trolled by the only people who still play this, raging fanboys. You won't read anything negative on their forums because it all gets deleted in order to scam new people to buy it. A trial or two will be fully enough to convince you to save your money and not shove it down the throat of these crooks.

Don't waste your time on it. If you wanna play games with adventure in it, you might wanna try Wurm Online or errr.. yea maybe DF.

EDIT: Oh yea I forgot to tell you about the cheaters. They're everywhere and SV won't ban them because they're their buddies and because every cheater is a subscription.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

I would do this to start:

1 combat character with taming

1 bowcrafter or weaponcrafter

1 butcher 

With these as your first 3 characters, you can tame/kill mobs and butcher them.  This means you will be completely self-sufficient for gold generation, and will be able to buy all the books that you need to max your skills and any armor or gear you need. 

With these chars you can successfully play solo, but I would still join a guild asap.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Originally posted by Gerolt

Everything good you've heard about MO was PR hype. The game is a scam. You're still at a loss for finding helpful information because what you want to do in the game isn't possible. 

Not true...

There are no dungeons to explore, and no monsters to farm...... mobs drop nothing else and the carcasses are worthless if not processed.

There are dungeons...there are monsters...certain mobs do drop armor, money, or keys to open chests.

Cooking is useless. Useless... there aren't any dangers in it except of red pk hordes.

Anyone who knows anything about the game knows cooking is very useful when trying to gain weight or keep their reserves up.

I have some really good advice for you: Don't buy it. You'll be treated like shit by corrupt mods, lied to and scammed by the devs and trolled by the only people who still play this, raging fanboys.

Haha well if you look at these forums it doesn't seem like it's the "fanboys" raging...

EDIT: Oh yea I forgot to tell you about the cheaters. They're everywhere and SV won't ban them because they're their buddies and because every cheater is a subscription.

The cheating is extremely overly exagerated in this game. Sure there is some but SV does ban people (I had 4 people in my guild banned this past week).

I don't have a problem with people posting opinions...but you are just posting false information.

It really is hard to help you out with all the negativity on these forums OP...MO isn't perfect but it isn't aweful either. Like others suggested if your just looking for help go to the MO forums and ask there.

Originally posted by drakes821

The cheating is extremely overly exagerated in this game. Sure there is some but SV does ban people (I had 4 people in my guild banned this past week).

The cheating is extremely overly exagerated in this game... I had 4 people in my guild banned this past week.

cheating extremely exagerated...  4 people in my guild banned this past week

cheating exagerate... 4 people... this past week

Well OP decide for yourself who's turning a blind eye on facts here. I wouldn't mind if you gave us all a report on your trial experience here. ;D

Btw Drakes, good job at quoting only tiny pieces of my posting to distort the facts that I really stated. OP will never notice what you did there. You're much too clever.

Well OP decide for yourself who's turning a blind eye on facts here. I wouldn't mind if you gave us all a report on your trial experience here. ;D

Btw Drakes, good job at quoting only tiny pieces of my posting to distort the facts that I really stated. OP will never notice what you did there. You're much too clever.

Well to be more specific they weren't banned for cheating...they were banned for other things (one cussed out a GM haha). I just meant too show that SV does ban people.

Also my intention wasn't to distort your post...I just corrected what you blatantly were misinforming the OP about to give the him more accurate information (ie to help him since thats what this thread is for). Some of the information you posted (such as the bugged mobs) is true so I left that alone. Plus it's not like I deleted your post, its still right there for him to read in it's "undistorted" state.

Drakes there are only 2 dungeons that are actually stocked.  The risar and spider and both are bugged.  And cooking is useless you do not need to cook to keep reserves up.  Raw pigmeat anf raw flour will do it.  There has been many post on the official forums stating as much.  I know you just started back but so some research.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

I personally liked this guide when I tried the game a while back:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/50637-beginners-guide-not-rage-quitting-mortal-online.html

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

Originally posted by Meltdown

I personally liked this guide when I tried the game a while back:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/50637-beginners-guide-not-rage-quitting-mortal-online.html

I agree that is a good one.  Awww man that thread also made me think about the old days.  Alot of names in that thread that do not play anymore.

Originally posted by darthturtle1

Drakes there are only 2 dungeons that are actually stocked.  The risar and spider and both are bugged.  And cooking is useless you do not need to cook to keep reserves up.  Raw pigmeat anf raw flour will do it.  There has been many post on the official forums stating as much.  I know you just started back but so some research.

2 dungeons still means there are dungeons to explore...I do agree though they do seem to get bugged easy...if your just looking for PvE I would stay away from this game until the new patch comes out (and even then wait and see what that changes/brings).

As for food sure you can use raw foods to raise the reserves...but that doesn't make cooking useless. Thats like saying steel swords are useless when you can make jadeite ones. Most people don't mind paying a little extra for quality health food that will raise their reservers really fast...plus it's almost manditory to have some type of cooked food when trying to gain weight. (I do think trying to be a cook for a living is useless since currently it takes no skill points to max cooking and make some really good foods...but thats another issue more having to do with the skills rather then the cooking mechanics)

2 dungeons still means there are dungeons to explore..

That's why I said..

There are no dungeons to explore, and no monsters to farm. Well. A few. The mobs are even buggier than the dungeons.

And you only quoted half of what I said just to prove something wrong that I didn't say. Pretty senseless, huh?

2 dungeons still means there are dungeons to explore...I do agree though they do seem to get bugged easy...if your just looking for PvE I would stay away from this game until the new patch comes out (and even then wait and see what that changes/brings).

As for food sure you can use raw foods to raise the reserves...but that doesn't make cooking useless. Thats like saying steel swords are useless when you can make jadeite ones. Most people don't mind paying a little extra for quality health food that will raise their reservers really fast...plus it's almost manditory to have some type of cooked food when trying to gain weight. (I do think trying to be a cook for a living is useless since currently it takes no skill points to max cooking and make some really good foods...but thats another issue more having to do with the skills rather then the cooking mechanics)

Everyone wins and gets a medal at tee ball right Drakes.  Do you actually read what you say??  First, the 2 dungeons are bugged to hell and back.  And there are many more dungeons in the game without a single monster in it.  For a game nearly 2 years after release to have empty non stocked working dungeons is pretty sad.  it is pretty sad when you can solo the spider queen because of bugs.

Second did you go through the forums and look for the cooking and food threads I told you about it.  It does not matter if the food is cooked or not it will do your reserves just fine. 

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

This is like saying a pebble thrown into a lake still makes the water level rise...