Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve Online even viable to the casual player?

Tenk575Tenk575 Member UncommonPosts: 116

Thats all I ever seem to hear. Is Eve so hardcore that it wouldn't be enjoyable for a guy who has maybe a few hours a night to play a game?

Is it just the niche that Eve fills to make it this way? Or is the comment extremely embellished?

Just to get an idea. You hear this too often in forums and such for this game that I would really honestly like to hear some off based opinions on it. I'm sure a good majority of Eve playersare here as well, so feel free to throw in your input.

I'm not saying that I fill the demographic as a casual player, but I'm just anxious to hear what players have to say on the topic.

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Well you can look at it in the sense that skill leveling is done offline, so you don't need to be logged in to progress on that feature. 

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

After putting in considerable time to learn stuff and knowing people then you might be able to go casual but from the begining playing casually in my opinion wouldn't work out. 

• Tenk575Tenk575 Member UncommonPosts: 116

So the time invested and knowledge of the game would make it very difficult on the casual player. It makes sense.

There are obviously games out there like Eve and Darkfall that don't really cater to that sensibility and it seems perfectly fine for those developers.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

There is a lot of information and learning that goes into it when starting out in eve. While the rookie chat line helps it's easy to get frustrated. When i started playing i took baby steps. I played an hour maybe 2 when i started and as i slowly progressed then game got more and more fun.  Do ALL the tutorial missions.

I think it's possilble to start out casually, if you go full steam and force yourself to play you wont find it fun.  If you get frustrated Q up some skills and take a break. After some time you learn to do more and more things and understand what is going on more.

I've got the straight edge.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

@Tenk

Here's my opinion of Eve.  You don't need to play it.  You need to login to set your skill to learn and log.  You can monitor them from your phone but when it goes ding, you'll need to log in to start your next skill clocking time.

I found myself (in the beginning) waking up at odd hours to log in just to train my skill.  Then I would call the wife from work and have her do it.  But once I got a bit higher into them, it became MUCH easier to schedule because the skills take longer and you can plan them out a bit better.

P.S.  If I interpet what the person above stated, maybe you can queue the skills now?  That'd be kinda cool.

• drivecdrivec Member UncommonPosts: 104

yes you can play very casually  best thing u can do is find a corp that teaches players how to play. 

think there is a really good corp for teaching new players is eve uni.

really tho there is so much to eve. alot of people play and have no idea what there doing. you can play for years and still not know it all. and you can play for a couple months and learn tons.

• drivecdrivec Member UncommonPosts: 104

dont know when last your played but for while now you can que skills up for the next 24hours 

edit: meant to quote the guy above my last post

• Tenk575Tenk575 Member UncommonPosts: 116

All great replies guys, thanks.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

A few months in EVE Uni, free skills, pointers on how to play and avoid dying, when you "graduate" most nullsec renter corps will take you. In a renting corp you can play the game as casually as you like, when I started all I did was log on and make money, take part in mutual defense when I felt like it. Scored nice amounts of money rolling with older players who were in the alliance with me. It can be casual if you want it to be.

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452

Perhaps the only unfortunate thing for casual players in Eve online, is the breaking-in-time to get used to loosing EVERY ship you undock with. :)

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

ofc you can play casual.

after 7 years of wow (rift-warhammer-swtor in between) i started EVE about 2 weeks ago. i got into a friendly corp and they

explained me everything. i m playing casual style and i m  having great fun. the only thing i regret is that it took me too long

to start playing it :)

imho the best mmo in market this time