Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great, underated game

hcosminhcosmin Member Posts: 45

I tried the STO trial when it first came out but didn't really like it at all so i didn't subscribe.

But now after trying it again after it went F2P i'm having a blast leveling up, this is a severly underrated game. If you like Star Trek at all this is definetly a game that you should be playing.

Graphics look pretty good and you only need a medium system to play it well.

Some mission are really cool with intersting storyline all connected into a wider plot (an "episode") and there's lots of connctions to Star Trek canon, if you're a fan of the series you'll have a blast.

Space combat is fun and tactical, especially PvP (so far group PvE is not that fun, it's basicly kill a boatload of ships).

Ground combat is a lot better than i remember. Not perfect but quite ok both in PvE and PvP. Many tactical options with the different skills.

It's very casual friendly and you can basicly pick it up and play as long as you like. It even has a pause button in single player...

Cash shop doesn't seem so bad. You can buy some conveniences (like say more character slots, more bridge officer slots, things like that), but mostly it' practical / cosmetic, none of that uber ship of doom bullshit.

Most importantly for me it really feels like you're captain of a big Star Trek ship not one lone guy like in say EvE. You have a bunch of Bridge officers that you can take onto ground missions and who pop up in dialog but also you can have dozens of Duty Officers under your command that make up your crew that you get to send on mission of their own. It really has a lot of depth.

And you can go to your own ship's interior and walk around it (it's basicly player housing but it's pretty cool to see + perfect if you're into RP that sort of thing).

I'm not sure if the endgame is solid since i haven't reached it, but this really seems more like a game for fans and casuals rather than hardcore number crunchers.

Comments

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

Yeah I think STO is awesome.. one of my Favorite MMO's... 

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

this game sucked when released but like you i went back and i think its awsome..i,m a captain now and having a blast.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

I see Cryptic is encouraging people to get out there and promote the game . Some obviously paid publicists,  others niave fans. Odd how the forums are quite for such along time , and then suddenly active with so many people claiming what a great game this is.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

I see Cryptic is encouraging people to get out there and promote the game . Some obviously paid publicists,  others niave fans. Odd how the forums are quite for such along time , and then suddenly active with so many people claiming what a great game this is.

Have to agree. I did look upon this thread mainly beacuse I believed it would be filled with the regular pr crap. And boy I had right. STO is not great, and its not underated. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

I've played a bit of STO since f2p and I admit I expected to hate it but it has gotten a lot better since it launched. But suddenly everything is a conspiracy if you don't like the game and it has to be paid advertisers or some other BS pulled out of one's ass. Also it's obviously the forums would have a lot more activity, the game just turned f2p.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I tried trial last year, didn't like it very much. Now that is f2p and I'm fairly satisfied with the difference between gold and silver membership, I'll give it one last try. Need something before gw2 comes in few months.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I had a good time in this game as well.  Leveling was pretty fun. There was nothing better than getting up to the next rank and getting your new ship.   I had been gone for a while and was pleasantly surprised to find that I still have 1800 atari points. I guess I'm getting some new uniforms!

• PossumPossum Member UncommonPosts: 65

I also like the game, joined as a f2p because i was bored and looked for something new.

i like the "starfleet command" battles. the quests/story are well made (especially some player made missions) and right now i have to force myself to stop playing the game to get some sleep.

the game is by far better than the 6.8 it got here from the community. i give it a 8.5.

its a well made space/ground mix with a supportive community.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i think your naive to beleive that certain things never improve in games..if that were the case then games like swtor would be crap from beginning to end..first of all i purchased this game at release and i can tell you the improvements are great.i am actuaqlly enjoying the game..i wasted £60 on the release and subsequest sub of this game and i threw it in the bin.because i thought it was crap.but the changes have been great,the foundry have some great missions,there is a lot more ground combat.so before you come out with the accusation that i,m being paid to say its good(i wish).maybe you should listen to what people are saying.just because our opinion differs from yours does not mean we are incorrect.maybe you should try it y/self. then form an opinion....if its still the same after that.then i would respect your opinion a little bit more.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

You missed that its free to play dude?? 

I never tried it when it came out. and the game is not worth a subscription but as a free to play game, me and a buddy of mine are having a blast..

It has alot of content now after 2 years, and you dont have to pay anything to play it.. what is there not to like?? and yes you might need to spend some money when you hit the end, But iv looked over what things cost and I say If I wanted to Pimp myself out it will cost me about as much as buying an Xbox game. That is a one time purchase... So I would say if the game is still fun when I reach max level and I still want to play it.. I might give cryptic my money.. 

If you compare STO to other games out there right now that are subscription based, I would say Star trek is well worth the time to cheak out.. ITS Fraking FREE TO PLAY lolz

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

It's worth playing for free.

Aside from a nasty audio bug, the ground game improved alot since launch.  Now instead of groaning everytime I beam down, I look forward to the continuation of the story.

Unfortunately, I don't expect much developer love for the game in the future, aside from cash shop garbage that I'm not interested in.

But yes indeedy.  If you have the bandwidth and plenty hard drive space that you won't miss, this game is a good choice as a freebie.

• hcosminhcosmin Member Posts: 45

Rofl dude i wish i was payed.

Game just went f2p so a lot of us started it fresh. If we were doing "PR" you think we'd go to a STO-specific board where most people probably already play ? We're just talking about our impressions as newbies.

In fact if you're not interested in STO at all why would you even be reading this -.-.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

I actually am replaying it from its original launch. My wife is absolutely loving it, her and my son both stopped playing a AAA mmo recently released and think this game is better than it. (they are noobs though) :P

But the gameplay is better now, the world was dead at one point but it is pretty busy now. I played this maybe 20 hours when it first came out and quit. Since the F2P release, I think i have logged at least 20 hours and still having fun. Ground combat is still a bit clunky but it has some nice features to it, overall the game is fun and if you are an old star trek fan like my wife is, you will overlook a lot of its flaws.

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

holy shit, you see anything under that tinfoil hat? 

Thers people that quit the game because it was realy lacking when i came out, then returned and realized they did alot of work. I like it now where is thought its wasted time earlier.

how is a feedback of any sort 'odd' when it hits f2p ?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

The fact that the game is now F2P means that anyone having a go at least, can do so without risking their own cash.. free trial so to speak, so nobody loses anything (except time that is) from giving the game a 'whirl' ...i don't see this ever becoming anyones 'main game' but.. as a change of pace gap filler.. maybe.. image

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Bunks

I actually am replaying it from its original launch. My wife is absolutely loving it, her and my son both stopped playing a AAA mmo recently released and think this game is better than it. (they are noobs though) :P

But the gameplay is better now, the world was dead at one point but it is pretty busy now. I played this maybe 20 hours when it first came out and quit. Since the F2P release, I think i have logged at least 20 hours and still having fun. Ground combat is still a bit clunky but it has some nice features to it, overall the game is fun and if you are an old star trek fan like my wife is, you will overlook a lot of its flaws.

Are there more ground missons now? I didnt care for the space combat but did enjoy the away missions. There just wasnt many ground missions when I played.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I've reached about lvl 33 now and still keen to keep going. As a f2p game this is a great fairly polished find, I personally wouldn't go gold but have thought about spending a few dollars at the cash shop (OMG I NEED MOAR DUTY OFFICERS). While the interface and features are a little intimidating at first if you give it a little effort and really get into every nook of it you'll find quite a bit of depth in the game.

Amusing moment: 2 Duty officers injured after failing Grenade training exercise.

Awesome moment: When I unleash a torrent of buffs and rain phasery/topedoey death upon my enemies.

Noob moment: Only recently found out that you don't need crafting mats in inventory to craft.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• lightningjaclightningjac Member Posts: 92

trolls will be trolls

anyway I havent been this addicted to mmos for a long time since i started playing this.  It realy is a underated mmo...

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Originally posted by Rusty715

Are there more ground missons now? I didnt care for the space combat but did enjoy the away missions. There just wasnt many ground missions when I played.

I feel as if most of the battle is done in space with enough away missions sprinkled in between. The story provides the most away missions (they're kinda interesting too...except for that damn logic puzzle) and on top of that there are many many player created missions (some state 1-2 hours of gameplay in description) that may have a lot of ground fighting in it.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• lightningjaclightningjac Member Posts: 92

Almost every mission is part space and part ground combat...and then there are the exploration missions which most have ground missions.  There are also group ground instances.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155

This game is much better then Star Wars TOR. More atmosferic, more everything.

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

This game isn't that good, i can see maybe playing it when your main game has downtime but other then that this game isn't worth it, crap movement in space is one thing but it is also extremely user unfriendly and boring. I give this game a 5 out of 10 at best.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

In the "newer" missions, anyway(I did my free month at launch, maxed a captain, then quit, and just checked it out a couple weeks ago), it seems like the ratio of ground to space has moved toward ground significantly in the high lvl missions.  Pretty sure they knew their ground combat at launch was excruciating(both dull AND frustrating at the same time) and so they kept you in space as much as possible.

Later missions are more "puzzle-y", as well, which should be a step in the Trekkie direction.  Nothing terribly genius by any means, but it beats just clicking and shooting.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Tyserie

This game is much better then Star Wars TOR. More atmosferic, more everything.

Better yet, it is free. I am enjoying it quite a bit so far.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

For me this game is still subpar.

Going free also does not change it much.  

Like I don't watch bad movie just cause it is free in tv I don't play game just cause it is free as well.

Still those who enjoy it have fun.