Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is game of the year

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Originally posted by Satarious

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but SWTOR won "game of the year" on a number of well known gaming sites (including Massively and Ten Ton Hammer).  I thought massively's take on the haters was pretty entertaining:

OMG this game just launched! How can we possibly rate this the game of the year! We must be paid off! Adhgdjhgdudbjh! The fact is, this was a hard one. RIFT launched as a staff favorite in March, but it's both the freshness of SWTOR's launch and the fact that MMO fans have been going nuts over this game for years that combine to make this our Game of the Year. Plus, ya know, it's kinda fun.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/31/massivelys-best-of-2011-awards/#continued

Isn't this kind of like giving Water World best picture?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Margulis

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but SWTOR won "game of the year" on a number of well known gaming sites (including Massively and Ten Ton Hammer).  I thought massively's take on the haters was pretty entertaining:

OMG this game just launched! How can we possibly rate this the game of the year! We must be paid off! Adhgdjhgdudbjh! The fact is, this was a hard one. RIFT launched as a staff favorite in March, but it's both the freshness of SWTOR's launch and the fact that MMO fans have been going nuts over this game for years that combine to make this our Game of the Year. Plus, ya know, it's kinda fun.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/31/massivelys-best-of-2011-awards/#continued

Kevin costners portrayal of a "dolphin man" is no laughing matter.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but SWTOR won "game of the year" on a number of well known gaming sites...

...and right now most of them are looking pretty silly for jumping the gun.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Mellkor

ahh man, that movie is a bit of a guilty pleaure of mine lol

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by Mellkor

lol :D

..Cake..

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Maybe they gave it GOTY because they knew it wouldn't stand a chance in 2012.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Blacknd

When you get your own MMORPG website, you can decide the criteria of the awards it gives out. Considering no website has a Beta of the Year award..

They've decided their criteria, I'm sorry no one seems to agree with it.

Seems that a pre requisite to run one of these portals is that you must be a fawning sycophant with little objectivity or journalistic talent. I think that there is a real market for a 'grown up' games site.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

If games are in a bad shape, game websites are even worse. I hardly read anything they write, unless it's linked in the forum and I know from comments that is worth reading.

Anyone remember Gamecenter.com, back in what... 1998? They were good. They were forced to close, or got fired, and another "kissmyass" standard team was hired.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

Huh? the game was only released for 10 days in 2011.  PC Gamer did the same thing .   I suspect the articles were written and submitted to Bioware for approval long before release.  Want any more advertisement,s interviews, or special offers from Bioware?  Throw awards and high ratings at their games.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

I look forward to Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame giving this game both barrels for 5 minutes of hilarity.

I agree with the above poster, i think there's a market for a site that offers sarcastic, dry and depressing reviews such as Yahtzee. He even lambasts the games he loves.

I trust reviewers that constantly crap on every game rather than ones that suspiciously love every game. I personally can judge a game alot better knowing whats crap about it, rather than having someone tell me what they like.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Hmm afaik reviewing games is not a science. I am not into conspiracy theories so I think that most reviews are just honest personal opinion of the author.

The only problem is how much importance you attribute to the reviews. I think swtor is a great learning lesson, at least for me.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,499

Rift deserved Game of the year, because, you know, it actually came out with enough year for people to really experience it as as a launched title.

SWTOR can go up against GW2 and perhaps TSW and we'll see if its a real contender worthy of its title.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Game of the Year

Released 20th December

Those two facts are contradictory and as such, makes these websites' opinions defunct.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Kyleran

Rift deserved Game of the year, because, you know, it actually came out with enough year for people to really experience it as as a launched title.

SWTOR can go up against GW2 and perhaps TSW and we'll see if its a real contender worthy of its title.

If the media was more objective this would probably be the case. They're not objective though, it could have simply boiled down to these writers not liking Rift for any given reason, rather than judging it on it's success and dev teams attitude toward it's playerbase, they judged it on personal preference.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Technically, it can't.  Not as far as magazine reviews go, because it was released at the end of 2011.  Like I said, in 2012 SWTOR would not have gotten GOTY, and I'm beginning to wonder if the conspiracy nuts around here are right... "let's release in late December and rake in some GOTY awards, people will think our product is something special".  It's actually lucky to have gotten any awards.  And even then, I think Rift plays better.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Rift deserves it over Star Wars anyways. Star Wars is a horrible MMO made on a gigantic budget.

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by Eir_S

Technically, it can't.  Not as far as magazine reviews go, because it was released at the end of 2011.  Like I said, in 2012 SWTOR would not have gotten GOTY, and I'm beginning to wonder if the conspiracy nuts around here are right... "let's release in late December and rake in some GOTY awards, people will think our product is something special".  It's actually lucky to have gotten any awards.  And even then, I think Rift plays better.

Traditionally, games that are released late in a year are in consideration the following year. WoW, for example, was released November 23, 2004 and cleaned up during the 2005 award season. It also won a lot of awards in 2004 which was probably based primarily on hype and not sound judgment, but at least the reviewers had time to play it before giving it awards which is different from the swtor December 20 release and game of the year gifts a couple days later.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by Vegetto

Game of the Year

Released 20th December

Those two facts are contradictory and as such, makes these websites' opinions defunct.

What would the date of the release have to do with anything?

If the game is awesome and just the best it gets the reward (not saying  SWOTOR deserved it or not)

Skyrim came out 11.11 and got a lot of Game of the Year awars and i think most would agree it deserved the awards regardless of the release date.

So does SWOTOR deserve this award?? who knows but the release date certainly doesnt matter at all.

I look forward to Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame giving this game both barrels for 5 minutes of hilarity.

I agree with the above poster, i think there's a market for a site that offers sarcastic, dry and depressing reviews such as Yahtzee. He even lambasts the games he loves.

I trust reviewers that constantly crap on every game rather than ones that suspiciously love every game. I personally can judge a game alot better knowing whats crap about it, rather than having someone tell me what they like.

My son turned me on to Yahtzee at Zero Punctuation. Brilliant stuff and you just know SWTOR would be an absolute cracker. It has so much that you could take the piss out of.

Originally posted by Doomedfox

Game of the Year
    Released 20th December

If the game is awesome and just the best it gets the reward (not saying  SWOTOR deserved it or not)
    Skyrim came out 11.11 and got a lot of Game of the Year awars and i think most would agree it deserved the awards regardless of the release date.
    So does SWOTOR deserve this award?? who knows but the release date certainly doesnt matter at all.

It was my impression that the awards would be based on gameplay.

As they have all awarded SWTOR game of the year based on 10 days of it being released, over Christmas, it would appear that is not the case, as this is a MMO, not a re-release of Hasbro Interactives Monopoly.

Which begs the question therefore: Just what criteria were the awards based on?

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Doomedfox

Game of the Year

Released 20th December

Arg, you beat me to it.

I'm curious to know the answer to this from those saying a late 2011 release date disqualifies it for 2011 goty.  Mind you I'm not asking whether it deserves it or not but am askingt the logic, reason and why.  What should the cutoff date be then? Should we not work within a calendar year?  etc etc 

It's easy to destroy(be negative) but hard to build up(be positive).  How about we start adding positive with our negative instead of just 'grumble grumble grumble'.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

Originally posted by Gorilla

My son turned me on to Yahtzee at Zero Punctuation. Brilliant stuff and you just know SWTOR would be an absolute cracker. It has so much that you could take the piss out of.

Yeh, i was actually watching them saturday. I'm sure he will review SWTOR soon due to the hype spam of it and what will he say? Put it this way, he crucified Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3, due to them being re-hashed versions of previous games in the genre. SWTOR may force him to make a 30 minute video :)

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

A game should have to be out for more than a week and a half in a year to be considered "game of the year", in my opinion. Most people were still in the honeymoon period swith SWTOR when 2012 rolled around, but whatever.

Skyrim is GOTY, and RIFT MMO of the year for me.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Dont make me laugh.

Yeh, i was actually watching them saturday. I'm sure he will review SWTOR soon due to the hype spam of it and what will he say? Put it this way, he crucified Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3, due to them being re-hashed versions of previous games in the genre. SWTOR may force him to make a 30 minute video :)

His top five where pretty plausible. I have just played Bastion which he rated. Truly outstanding.