Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is game of the year

Comments

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Azaria

If TOR even gets game or mmo of the year on any website, I know that website is a bought out fraud. No way this is game of the year. Its not even a successful mmorpg, its actually a market flop, how do you justify rewarding a market flop.

A few hiccups (that were quickly fixed) means the game is a flop?

You consider 1.1 a success? Honestly, have you been staying awake the last week? 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Maybe not a flop, but giving the game Game of the year over Rift, which actually put effort into their talent system and has working DE's and good customer service - after a week of TOR being out on shelves?  It reeks to me.  A stupid decision just because the game is new, and they'll probably have egg on their face this time next year.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

If TOR even gets game or mmo of the year on any website, I know that website is a bought out fraud. No way this is game of the year. Its not even a successful mmorpg, its actually a market flop, how do you justify rewarding a market flop.

You consider 1.1 a success? Honestly, have you been staying awake the last week? 

Where did I say 1.1 was a success? 1.1 was a mixed bag while it remedied one of my main issue with my play experience (geared out 50's in BG's with nubs) as well as added new PVE features (which I have no idea what the reception for that has been) it added a host of problems for PVP (which were mostly quickly fixed).

In the end, you said nothing about 1.1 so I have no idea what point you're trying to make...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Eir_S

Maybe not a flop, but giving the game Game of the year over Rift, which actually put effort into their talent system and has working DE's and good customer service - after a week of TOR being out on shelves?  It reeks to me.  A stupid decision just because the game is new, and they'll probably have egg on their face this time next year.

Not sure if that was toward my post or not, if it was, I wasn't commenting toward whether TOR should be GOY or not, I frankly don't care either way. GOY is pretty much meaningless when there is no real competition.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by Satarious

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but SWTOR won "game of the year" on a number of well known gaming sites (including Massively and Ten Ton Hammer).  I thought massively's take on the haters was pretty entertaining:

OMG this game just launched! How can we possibly rate this the game of the year! We must be paid off! Adhgdjhgdudbjh! The fact is, this was a hard one. RIFT launched as a staff favorite in March, but it's both the freshness of SWTOR's launch and the fact that MMO fans have been going nuts over this game for years that combine to make this our Game of the Year. Plus, ya know, it's kinda fun.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/31/massivelys-best-of-2011-awards/#continued

Wait a sec, Massively gave it game of the year cause the launch was fresh, and the fans were passionate and eager for it to launch? Oh man, I been doing it wrong then. I thought when games got awards it was based on acutal gameplay and the mechanics of the game. How it evolved over time and grew richer with each patch.

Sarcasm aside, that is ridiculous. I doubt that is the exact reason, but when you publicly state something like that AS the reason, it only shows your stupidity and ignorance of how to properly pick a game for such a award. I still stand by my statement of SWTOR shouldn't have been in the 2011 running for any awards, but 2012 when we can actually see it grow and evolve and see what direction the games goes in.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

can you honestly say swtor is a better game than skyrim?

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Believe this is only between MMO's

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by Terranah

As others have stated, mmo of the year perhaps, but not game of the year.  No way.  Skyrim is game of the year. It's up there with the greatest games of all time in my opinion.

Skyrim is one of the buggiest games to ever get launched, far buggier than Oblivion and far buggier than Morrowind.  It got voted as Game of the Year by so many websites because they were basically forced to due to the overwhelming popularity of the game.  The lashback from not agreeing with the majority of people is pretty big deal, especially when it's the current 'ingame."

Game of the year?  Crysis 2 was pretty frigging good.  So was Gears of War 3.  So was Sonic Generations.  Mortal Kombat (the new one) was pretty freaking epic.

Everyone is forced to say game of the year is something in the now to appease fans of their site.

And no, SWTOR is not game of the year.  It is probably MMO of the year only for the sake that its only competition was Rift and a bunch of free to play MMOs.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Ausare

it says game of the year.

Originally posted by Ausare

it says game of the year.

On Massively website that only does MMO's.  All the other games that won awards are MMO's too.

Questioning whether the game is a flop = the game should be game of the year?

course game of the year titles are a dime a dozen...just depends on what websites, mags, blogs, tv shows, etc.  you like.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Where there any other MMO's in 2011? What? Rift? 

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

I have no problem giving SWTOR the "mmorpg" game of the year award, but seems that a launch that close to the end of the year doesnt seem to tranpire justice if we take in account the good success and health RIFT has showed since launch.

Perhaps considering SWTOR for the 2012 awards would  be more fair. Personally i take RIFT as MMORPG of the year, but SWTOR has the right to be mentioned, so sounds ok. 

Originally posted by fadis

{mod edit}

No without a doubt that would be the company who deleted their entire MMO from existence on "accident".

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

{mod edit}

No without a doubt that would be the company who deleted their entire MMO from existence on "accident".

Hahaha oh man that was really a "freaky" accident...should i put accident also between brackets? image

Btw how that turned out at the end? Were they able to recover some part of it at least?

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134

I agree. Sw:Tor is a good single player game.

Wait, what? Game of the year?

Originally posted by Clerigo

{mod edit}

Hahaha oh man that was really a "freaky" accident...should i put accident also between brackets? image

Btw how that turned out at the end? Were they able to recover some part of it at least?

I wish I knew how it turned out, either way it's both sad and hilarious.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Paid for by the following.... This reminds me of the Warhammer Online scenario.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Clerigo

I wish I knew how it turned out, either way it's both sad and hilarious.

As I recall they just said screw it, it's irrepairable, and kept it down.  Pissed a few people off.  If I can find the link I'll post it.  But it was such a blip in a long long string of MMO news this year :-)

Edit:  Added: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/15/hangame-mmo-accidentally-deleted-shut-down-forever/

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

I have no idea how a site justifies giving TOR game of the year, or even a runners up prize. When Skyrim is out any publication that chose TOR over skyrim is in for some serious embarrassment. Honestly its like picking the Buffalo Bills to win the Superbowl.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Terranah

As others have stated, mmo of the year perhaps, but not game of the year.  No way.  Skyrim is game of the year. It's up there with the greatest games of all time in my opinion.

Man I love my Skyrim but GOTY? No ..... Buggy craptastic completely jacked game of the year yes maybe.

If there is an award for the lamest console port pos interface ever passed off to pc players one , then yeah give Skyrim that.

Now I love the game and its tons of fun but only after modding all it's problems is it really worth anything imo. If Skyrim was an MMO it would take the title from Funcom as having the worst launch ever (on pc imo)

Thats just my opine mind you, but I really think people need to stop blowing smoke up Bethesda's Ass. Skyrim had alot of problems and people are still having serious issues with the game. Yes even people with monster rigs that "gasp" actually know how to use them.

As for TOR and GOTY. No......Just ...No. And to avoid any arguments over it, take into account the game wasn't even out long enough to even matter in 2011. That alone makes it cheap to even call it GOTY. Honorable mention..sure. But winner ...NO.

Let it stand against the 2012 releases where it belongs.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I have no idea how a site justifies giving TOR game of the year, or even a runners up prize. When Skyrim is out any publication that chose TOR over skyrim is in for some serious embarrassment. Honestly its like picking the Buffalo Bills to win the Superbowl.

Well that's the thing I've pointed out in a few of my posts in this thread.  Did it win GOTY on any gaming sites that weren't MMO niche sites?  I doubt it, and like you said, if they gave GOTY to a game that was out for less than a few weeks, they're not worth the bandwidth they're hosted on.

I stand corrected, it won GOTY on Ablegamers, a site for disabled gamers, and another site called Mediastinger, who said SWTOR is "currently the best reason to own a pc". 

{mod edit}

No reputable gaming sites have named it GOTY, because it isn't.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

OMG this game just launched! How can we possibly rate this the game of the year! We must be paid off! Adhgdjhgdudbjh! The fact is, this was a hard one.  RIFT  launched as a staff favorite in March, but it's both the freshness of SWTOR's launch and the fact that MMO fans have been going nuts over this game for years that combine to make this our Game of the Year. Plus, ya know, it's kinda fun.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/31/massivelys-best-of-2011-awards/#continued

Oh wow, that's pretty funny they wrote that.  There's definitely a sense of humor over in those offices.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but SWTOR won "game of the year" on a number of well known gaming sites (including Massively and Ten Ton Hammer).  I thought massively's take on the haters was pretty entertaining:

OMG this game just launched! How can we possibly rate this the game of the year! We must be paid off! Adhgdjhgdudbjh! The fact is, this was a hard one. RIFT launched as a staff favorite in March, but it's both the freshness of SWTOR's launch and the fact that MMO fans have been going nuts over this game for years that combine to make this our Game of the Year. Plus, ya know, it's kinda fun.

Only because GW2 had it before and couldnt get it yet another time :)