Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well...Surprise, surprise

2»

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by LuckyDucky

Then the new PVP server launched, but that hasn't kept the PvP crowd happy :(

im going to go ahead and be the one to say it *flame suit on*: i can't remember a time when they were.

i've been pvp'ng since SWGpreNGE and while most may become misty eyed, i remember quite clearly the fotm builds for pvp, and all the whining and crying that happened over pvp in general in that game. and ever since then i have to say that i haven't heard a majority of the pvp-centric players ~ever~ happy with anything, anyone, or any game. there's always something.

i believe it to be the flaw in most game design. the game usually starts to tank when the devs start screwing with everything under the sun to make the game 'balanced' or to improve overall pvp experience.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Thamoris

Originally posted by Aguitha

OP is probably stil in Tortage.   Tortage is very well done with voice over.  However once you leave that area, all that stop, no more voice over.   At first you might find the combo combat fun, but once you level up and endup having to press 4-5 directional keys to do 1 attack, you'll find that feature becomes more like a huge chore.  

Op is a lv 38 Guardian.

Tortage was actually my least favorite part. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Yeh I agree, Tortage was the worst part.

The combat was streamlined btw, combos no longer need 4-5 steps, they are all now executed with 1-3 steps.

REALITY CHECK

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178

Downloading it righ tnow I hope it is worth this huge download.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

Things I think a player needs to get the most out of this MMO

1. A pretty good gaming computer.... Windows 7 or Vista, Quad core CPU, DX10 1GB vid card, quality wide screen monitor, good quality headset or speakers. You may get by with less, but I dunno about maxing the game out in a high resolution at decent frame rates.

2. It really adds to the game's enjoyment to have some knowledge of  the Conan IP. By reading the original Howard stories or being exposed to some of the great art that Conan has inspired. Frank Frazetta, probably the finest fantasy artist of all time, did some of his best work painting Conan scenes. The game is chock full of references to Howard's Conan stories and much of the story content will go right over your head if you have no knowledge of the Conan IP.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Thillian

You named it, AoC is still an industry leader in graphics, animations and combat. 

Don't be pessimistic about the end-game, actually it's quite fun. Khitai questing is fabulous (at least for the first run for each faction -- there's 12 factions all together), dungeons are hard and varied, and there's the AA system. PvP on the other hand, is probably something to avoid.

Absolutely agree.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Having bored of the carrot chasing end game of Rift and not having fun on myt alts, I decided to give AoC a try. To my surprise...I'm having a really good experience.

The graphics are great. Their is blood, gore, tits and ass....it's edgy like Conan should be. Combat feels  fun and the animations are smooth. The quests are pretty typical, but occasionaly they do something new. The world is big, with lots to explore. I'm sure the end game will be meh....as all end game's are, hence the name " end game"...but their seems to be plenty of opportunity for some fun Alt action.

The free to play offers ALOT, but I subed up anyways....mostly for the expanded inventory space. I expect to be playing AoC until Rift comes out with some radically new content ( ie...housing, new zones and/or raised level cap) or GW2 comes out.

Call me.....

Pleasantly surprised !

Yeah it was an awesome game! i enjoyed it when i played, left it for a time and came back when it went F2P to see my old stomping grounds. Very well done imo i loved the combat they were innovative at the time when they did it. No GCD no Autoattack was nice. I believe when they released the game that no one else had splash screen effects like for blood or water when you jumped in to swim.  The reason I'm not playing now? Learning curve, some classes require i relearn everything all over again. Just don't feel like it, and I'm not complaining about it just something i don't want to do right now is all.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Somewhere in the uperr 30's or early 40's I jsut stopped wanting to level my character.  I personally am not much of a fan of the combat system.

I think I may have been more interested to reach the end level if they modified the payment system.  From what I remember, you couldn't permanently unlock content you wanted with a single purchase.  You were forced to subscribe to access it.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Somewhere in the uperr 30's or early 40's I jsut stopped wanting to level my character.  I personally am not much of a fan of the combat system.

I think I may have been more interested to reach the end level if they modified the payment system.  From what I remember, you couldn't permanently unlock content you wanted with a single purchase.  You were forced to subscribe to access it.

If you are more of a traditional MMO control fan you should try Priest of Mitra, Demonologist, Necromancer or Tempest of Set. The casters in Conan are pretty much like any other game (with the addition of spellweaving which is fairly interesting).

I found Assassin and Ranger combos were a lot more forgiving than the other combo classes too.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

OP is probably stil in Tortage.   Tortage is very well done with voice over.  However once you leave that area, all that stop, no more voice over.   At first you might find the combo combat fun, but once you level up and endup having to press 4-5 directional keys to do 1 attack, you'll find that feature becomes more like a huge chore.  

Op is a lv 38 Guardian.

Tortage was actually my least favorite part. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

I have to agree, I didn't like Tortage and the thought of having to do it more than the 2 times I did kept me from rerolling a 3rd alt back when I played. (wonder if you can skip it now?)

Which is one reason why I've owned a copy of SWTOR since Christmas but haven't opened it yet, not sure I'm all that interested in voice over quest content.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Op is a lv 38 Guardian.

I have to agree, I didn't like Tortage and the thought of having to do it more than the 2 times I did kept me from rerolling a 3rd alt back when I played. (wonder if you can skip it now?)

Which is one reason why I've owned a copy of SWTOR since Christmas but haven't opened it yet, not sure I'm all that interested in voice over quest content.

Can't offer any suggestions on Star Wars having never played the game, but yea you still have to alt through Tortage. Haven't heard any word on a new starter area in the works either, or a means to skip it altogether. They outta either make another starter area or provide a way to pass over Tortage for those who have played through it several times.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Vegetto

From what i have seen/read, although not a sanbox as such, this seems to be a game i would love. Mainly due to i like a living world atmosphere, lots of great scenery, areas to explore and the feeling of not knowing whats around corner.

However, the one thing holding me back is the population. I am done and dusted playing MMOs in solitude and i won't do it even if the game is actually perfect for what i want. I want to play alongside or at least encounter others in an MMO.

Which is a shame and by the looks of it , AoC is being kept alive purely as a guinea pig for The Secret World, which is out April. Although that looks new, different, etc, to me it looks just like a puzzle game, i can see it being lifeless, the videos suggest so.

. Then the new PVP server launched, but that hasn't kept the PvP crowd happy :(

PVP'ers are never happy. In all of the games I've played, and god knows how many I've played, I've never seen a game with a happy pvp player base.

PS: I'm talking about mmos here, not specific pvp games like MOBAs.

Edit: And about Tortage, it is also my least favorite are of the game. Fun the first time you go through, not so fun the consequent times you go through.

In fairness to Tortage, I don't think it is possible to see it all and do every quest in one playthrough. You have Tortage proper and all those quests, then the Underhalls, the ruins, White Sands, the volcano, the cave at the end of the harbor, and a bunch of smaller instances like Stroms hideout, temple of the Black Ones, etc. On top of all that there are the Destiny quests. Lots of content for one pass!

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

In fairness to Tortage, I don't think it is possible to see it all and do every quest in one playthrough. You have Tortage proper and all those quests, then the Underhalls, the ruins, White Sands, the volcano, the cave at the end of the harbor, and a bunch of smaller instances like Stroms hideout, temple of the Black Ones, etc. On top of all that there are the Destiny quests. Lots of content for one pass!

I somehow managed to go through Tortage twice without doing any of the later quests such as killing the bat demon, and the one where you have to destroy that amulet or whatever that thing was. I believe the problem was, that by the time I hit 20 I was already bored and just wanted out of there.

There really is a huge amount of content, enough to get you over level 22 at least. Unfortunately, it does get old after only a few times through.

• DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by Thillian

You named it, AoC is still an industry leader in graphics, animations and combat. 

Don't be pessimistic about the end-game, actually it's quite fun. Khitai questing is fabulous (at least for the first run for each faction -- there's 12 factions all together), dungeons are hard and varied, and there's the AA system. PvP on the other hand, is probably something to avoid.

My face turnt on so sad, when i read this, being myself a #1 pvp necromancer during its PvP gold age, i just get deep sad when i read something like this, this game was 80% PvP and 20% PvE when i started playing it, everything seemed so fresh after quitting WoW and so outstanding in open world fights...

Right now is unplayable due to Farm2Win mode, PvP has no sense now, even tho PvE is really good, really good.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I played for the first 6 months and then recently returned and paid for a year sub.  It was cheap enough at 90 bucks. I never really understood all the hate except for the loading times in the first month or so.  I guess everyone had massive expectations just like SWTOR. 

The game actually opens up a lot as well and you do find yourself on some epic missions and some of the scenary on top of peaks etc are just the best in the industry. 

I personally went off a lot of other MMO's after AoC because I couldn't go back to the cartoon wacking sticks compared to the fatality moves in AoC. 

When I was with a guild I helped build a massive fort but that is where AoC fell short of greatness for me.  I just wished they had a way to incorporate keeps on the open map so that guilds could claim some land and really make a keep that everyone can see and attack.  If you got attacked then you would have a 24 hour timer to make sure you were there and then it would be an instanced war.  

One thing they did really well was the city.  Its clever how they steer paths towards it so you end up using the same space a lot. 

I might even sub on this weekend :)

• DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

This is almost exactly how I feel.

I leveled to somewhere in the 50s with my Conqy before I started to feel like I was trudging along.  My guildmates moved to a more populated server (this was way before F2P) and I played alone for a while.  PUG grouping was very unpleasant (much like LotRO) and  I never found a another guild that clicked and I unsubbed.

I visited again after F2P.  The relearning curve was steeper than I thought it would be.  The UI just doesn't seem intuitive to me.  At that time Funcom really pushed the sub thing.  For me, the game isn't anywhere close to being worth a sub fee.  If I could have unlocked things a little at a time as I needed them, especially the gold cap and storage, then I might have left it installed.

I do like some things about the game, but as a whole package it's not worth it for me.  Glad the OP is having fun though.

http://aoc.yg.com/profile?h=DtjZMJ_r

If you had killed 28000 people, you would probably know what the game used to offer. Not other game has made me feel the way AoC did:

-Being in a guild of 40-50 people 18-20+ old most of them, and coming to the point ive met 15 of them in real life even drinking together and having the feeling we were like a gaming family.

-My necro has been in four servers, Indomitus, Aquilonia, Fury, and Crom, and it's been kind of an epic story, being the best necro of my first server, and making myself the path to larger servers and through the best players to get the fame and the renown we all like to get in MMO's.

-Even though the leveling was a small part of all the time invested in the game (5days to 120 real life time), the raid progressing with my guild was so rewarding i feel bad for you guys, you could get to 80 and check things out, well i guess it was late for you.

-The diplomatics around keeps and sieges, also guild bounds were awesome for me as a former officer, having really deep ventrilo chats and arguements with other guilds, as they saw we were a potential risk for their walls :P

-Sorry for my english i know its kind of crappy ^^

From all the 3 years ive been playing AoC, there are so many different, rich and lovely stories coming to my mind i would like to share that this board would just explode :P, i guess you guys have felt that way somehow with some other MMO..  

• caractaccaractac Member UncommonPosts: 11

but once you level up and endup having to press 4-5 directional keys to do 1 attack, you'll find that feature becomes more like a huge chore.  

Guess you have not played in awhile. Because of whiners like yourself the combo system has been stupefied to no more then 3 moves.

Originally posted by caractac

but once you level up and endup having to press 4-5 directional keys to do 1 attack, you'll find that feature becomes more like a huge chore.  

Guess you have not played in awhile. Because of whiners like yourself the combo system has been stupefied to no more then 3 moves.

Yea that's it. Select a combo attack, then execute the attack by hitting one, two, or at the most, three directional buttons. Pretty simple really. You have to pay attention a little bit because the idea is to coordinate your directional attacks with your opponent's defensive shields. It is nothing like a huge chore, it's more fun than anything. When it gets exhilarating is when the fight comes down to the wire, an even match. That is when you can't affort to miss a single beat. You gotta be on it, or you will be eating a sod sandwich :)

I should point out that this is my experience as a melee fighter. I never played a castor, and don't know a thing about spell casting. I always fight like a real man, with iron weapons!

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

At the moment i am split between trying this or rejoining Fallen Earth. Both have gone F2P.

Difference is, this one sounds like it's a grind from hell and if i want to see someone else ingame, i better get to high level. Are we talking several months for this?

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Originally posted by Vegetto

At the moment i am split between trying this or rejoining Fallen Earth. Both have gone F2P.

Difference is, this one sounds like it's a grind from hell and if i want to see someone else ingame, i better get to high level. Are we talking several months for this?

no this game is VERY easy to level in, infact i think it was to easy to level and was part of its downfall when it launched. not enough for maxed level players to do so most started quitting after only a few months. they have added content since then its worth trying out if you never have. at least for the first 20 levels the story is pretty good.