Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So where's this mass exodus?? Looks like the hate community was wrong!

123457»

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

European Side I take it? Because I was selecting a new server once again on the NA ones in the hopes to find one with a better population and there were a couple that side showing light. Most were at standard. Which outside of game companies by others people's version of standard that should also probably be light. A few were at heavy and there were actually a couple that were full with estimated queue times.

So no massive exodus but they weren't as full as you're making them out to be either.

I can't keep track if I'm a hater or biodrone at this point on forums amongst posters. Seems poster's opinions of that towards me change per topic I respond to.

EDIT: ...and to clarify I'm referring to yesterday evening when this topic was apparently made. Not this morning. Although I wish I was playing this morning because that would mean I wasn't stuck at work :P

Or fucking around on these forums.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by stragen001

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by lizardbones

The 'hate' community is almost always wrong.

Except with LotRO, Aion, WAR, AoC and so forth ... but yeah, almost always wrong except, you know, never.

Thats becase the haters will hate on every game, MMORPG is full of ex SWG players and sandbox fans and a lot of them will just post negatively about every non sandbox MMO

some are but a lot are not.. i'm fine with themeparks and played pretty much every big one for least 6 months.... you want reasons why people hate this game just watch the video review i posted above your post

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by stragen001

Except with LotRO, Aion, WAR, AoC and so forth ... but yeah, almost always wrong except, you know, never.

Thats becase the haters will hate on every game, MMORPG is full of ex SWG players and sandbox fans and a lot of them will just post negatively about every non sandbox MMO

Everyone knew it was gonna be a themepark....They just didnt know it was gonna be such an underwhelming one.

Edit: I preordered with every intention of enjoying a themepark, Dark side vs Light side pvp themepark....what i ended up getting were story lines that got old after a while, a very lame consular story line because i rolled republic...might have enjoyed empire a bit more but choose repub cause i knew everyone would roll empire.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Th first free month is barely over, get a grip. It will happen, no worries.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

It's a good game. Not great or earth shattering, but good.

The game has some key areas it's going to need to shore up before it can reach the status of MMO Juggernaut. The bulk of which have been posed by other poasters on the forum.

Elikal has stated numerous times that the game worlds need to be more immersive. I agree with him.

Countless posters have stated that the game needs sandbox elements injected into it and that Ilum isn't enough. I likewise agree.

Countless Posters have commented on the linear leveling issue and lack of leveling options. I agree, but YMMV... I know folks who are loving it the way it is.

Pony has cited for a need to optimize thier system to reduce loading times, more open world encounter (PvP/PvE opportunities, and a dynamic endgame (Pony, I seriously hope my paraphrasing hit the mark and if it didn't, I'm very sorry!) 

Every single one of them is right, in my opinion.  It doesn't make the game a bad one though... It's got some opportunities that really aren't hard to overcome with resources and a little time.  We'll see what the next six updates brings as that's where the meat will be. Up to then, it's really just the shine of a new game.

What made games like WoW, EQ, AC, DAoC, and  EvE great was the fact that you never knew what experience or interaction you would stumble into next. Good or ill, Funny or sad, your experiences could vary. This game needs and does not have this yet , IMO. The sandbox of player(s) contributions in the game is what made those games great. That sandbox is where the community and server pride gets formed.It's literally what differentiates a games servers. The different thempark attractions are needed and awesome, but a game needs some measure of both to be great.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by Weretigar

O_o? You sure do have a lot of hostility.

Why is it that the creator of the original Mass Exodus thread didn't get "called out" for intentional baiting, but this poster did?

There's an incredible double standard happening on this board.  They're both guilty.

And it's about time that the bait-counter-bait just stopped.  Please give us this message board back, some day.

I noticed this as well,  there is baiting going on in blogs as well as these same people repeat themselves like broken records but nothing will ever be done.  I'm not sure this site was ever about mmo's as much as a forum of jaded burned out mmo players who over hype then try to destroy each and every game that comes thru here.  Its why I hardly post these days and haven't posted all that much for a couple years.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Only thing they are ever wrong on is what will be the WoW Killer.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Amazing this Thread is still going, I should pull my graph out again!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Jason2444

http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/

/thread

Chart is a fluke that can't be used at all to measure player population, as the chart creators themselves have stated multiple times. Try again ^_^

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Jason2444

http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/

/thread

We can throw in the xfire charts and they show the opposite so this kinda disproves your point here.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I take back what I said in the beginning about two months. It is now a year. A year will tell if people stick with the game or not.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!

Originally posted by Slowdoves

This is the most factual graph I have seen so far. I'm not even going to ask for the source

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

The point about changing the actual ranges for "Light", "Medium", "Heavy" is right. The devs can change those. People are quiting. I discontinued the sub untill they fix the PvP - did it the last day before being charged as I won't tolerate such an attitude from devs (they released an "update" 1.1 which made the game even worse, added lots of bugs). The game is unfinished in terms of PvP. But when I was discontinuing I had to use the direct link to cancel the sub as they REMOVED THE BUTTON which cancels sub on the 19 of Jan. This is lots of desperation from devs sensing they will lose subs. Dirty move. Likely servers showing "Heavy" load is another dirty move.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Starpower

Originally posted by Slowdoves

This is the most factual graph I have seen so far. I'm not even going to ask for the source

awesome!

Stop reposting pictures. You flood the forum.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

well, one thing we could do is look at the parallels between SWTOR and two other "failed" yet hyped games.

SWTOR, AoC and WAR:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Conan:_Hyborian_Adventures#Reception

"The game received "generally favorable reviews" according to Metacritic.[39] The game was "very inviting and plays well" according to VariableGHz.[49] Player reactions were overwhelmingly negative in the months following the release, as the game was plagued by a vast number of bugs, missing zones, broken encounters and total lack of end-game content."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Online:_Age_of_Reckoning#Critical_reception

"Warhammer Online initially received favorable reviews... Warhammer Online has an aggregate score of 86% on metacritic.com[24] and 87% GameRankings.com...As of September 30, 2008, WAR had sold 1.2 million copies and had 800,000 registered users...As of May 5, 2009, Electronic Arts executives confirmed in an investor conference that they have 300,000 subscribers as of the end of March 2009...Consequently, the number of servers was drastically reduced[36] in order to consolidate the remaining population...Since December 14, 2011, the game is now down to 3 servers, one for the US, one for Germany and one for the rest of Europe not including Germany.

Also, Warhammer Online had a plethora of awards, way more than SWTOR. See them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Online:_Age_of_Reckoning#Awards

yet still, three years later most people think of it as a failed product and something they would never play, even as F2P, which is kind of is now

AoC is much better now of course, but that's after 3 years of development...

So history may repeat itself again

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

People expected a spiritual successor to DAOC and didn't get it with WAR and AoC doesn't even come close in comparison with the mess it was in.

Originally posted by lalartu

...So history may repeat itself again

I am afraid it will.

WoW also wasn't bug free, but it was the peoneer. For some reason the new titles developers think they can enjoy the same privileges WoW did and take their time fixing the bugs and developing the game on the go. No they can't - they have to learn from the peoneers and release the product at least as good as WoW (or even better)! People are unhappy with WoW - how SWTOR developers think they will win their favour with the half-finished PvP system?   

This discussion has been closed.