Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Couple questions about TERA

toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Ill be honest I have not followed this game much but I have a few questions maybe some kind soul will answer.

First off is this game Massive? By Massive I mean, does it have a world feeling? I dont consider a collection of zones a world. Instanced zones even less so. Cleaverly disguised zones might be ok. But in general whats the world like?

Secondly is this game multiplayer? By this I mean will people want to party, or is it typical themepark style, solo to cap then raid?

The Oversized weapons have always put me off but I could look past that if the game offers something refreshing to the MMO genre: does it? But if its in the same category as SWTOR or RIFT, ill have to skip this title.

So if you had to say TERA  was a "Clone" of something what would it be a "clone" of?  (cant use WoW).

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
Now Playing: N/A
Worst MMO: FFXIV
Favorite MMO: FFXI

Comments

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

TERA is a consistent world that means seamless loading between areas and it is very big. So you can walk from one side of the world to the other.

Of course people party but you can also go it alone if you're anti social. There are quest bosses that do require a group to kill and teamwork.

The comabt is very good in this game, it's all about reflexes and aim so ping matters a lot in PVP. This game has a political system where clans fight or vote to elect a representative to an area and then that person can control things like pvp rules, taxes etc.

Don't compare MMOs it's just annoying to hear that.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

The one thing that TERA does have going for it is it's massive world.

There are over eighty zones, and each zone is not an instance. The zones are connected so you can walk from one zone to the next. There are huge continents, and from a land mass perspective, there’s probably never been another game with this much land. The zones have their own unique feel and environment. You can engage the world in a desert, tundra, barren, swamps, lush rainforest, or any one of a million different types of environment. The world is very big and immersive.

When TERA first started it was next to impossible to solo past lvl 20, I mean you could but it would take forever. But now with recent patches,they have really westernized the game, and you can easily solo to cap now. But to get the Bams (huge named mobs that drop nice loot) you better bring friends.

What I can't say this game is WOW clone ?...lol

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Thanks for the replys I like what I am hearing so far.

• DjFc88DjFc88 Member Posts: 23

It's a very linear experience, not unlike most themeparks out there. If you think World of Warcraft is massive, then TERA will be too.

The issue with TERA being very skilled based is that people can solo dungeons, normal quests, campaign quests and more or less everything but HARDMODE instances (especially after the massive nerf they applied to leveling not long ago). It is however beneficial to group for faster completion of dungeon quests, loot, very enjoyable boss fights and overall well designed dungeons. Also faster kill speeds when questing outside instances and some other times. But I imagine a lot of people will solo until endgame and then do dungeons (they don't have raids, yet) and organized PvP through battlegrounds and group duels, and what looks to be a extremely poorly implemented guild vs. guild system.

What the game has going for it is the combat system. It's clear the game revolves around it for better or worse. There is very little innovation outside of it, sadly. As far as the oversized weapons go, I don't fully understand where this is coming from. When they're on your back they often have the same, or smaller size than most MMORPG weapons. If you compare to World of Warcraft - they're often the same size. Ever seen a gnome wield a great sword? Just as silly. Frankly the only complaint I could understand is the art style not being acceptable to some people that prefer western armors. 

In conclusion: If you want challenging PvP and potentially challenging PvE (assuming they keep on building on what they have and make the boss fights more complex and unpredictable), with a great combat system with it shares of flaws (subjetive, mostly), then it's worth considering. Frankly, I don't consider GW2 an MMORPG and TSW will probably be a better choice for most people, but I've had it with tab targetting. After playing TERA I find little to no enjoyment tab targetting in MMORPG's. 

(I will play the game)

• StSynnerStSynner Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by toddze

Ill be honest I have not followed this game much but I have a few questions maybe some kind soul will answer.

First off is this game Massive? By Massive I mean, does it have a world feeling? I dont consider a collection of zones a world. Instanced zones even less so. Cleaverly disguised zones might be ok. But in general whats the world like?

Secondly is this game multiplayer? By this I mean will people want to party, or is it typical themepark style, solo to cap then raid?

The Oversized weapons have always put me off but I could look past that if the game offers something refreshing to the MMO genre: does it? But if its in the same category as SWTOR or RIFT, ill have to skip this title.

So if you had to say TERA  was a "Clone" of something what would it be a "clone" of?  (cant use WoW).

The world is massive feeling and about as seamless as any modern themepark MMO. There are instances and what not but over all id say it has that "open world" feeling that most games seem to be missing.

You get XP rewards for partying in groups. There are also certain parts of the game that you will need a group for. But there is also a large chunk of solo friendly material. They did a nice job balancing the needs of the "group" player and the "solo" player.

I thought the same thing when i first started following the game. I've always been a fan of simple weapons. "Beauty in simplicity" and all that. ...but after playing the game for a little while they really grew on me. Honestly... with the non tab-targeting combat style of TERA... the over sized weapons make it seem really dynamic in a way that smaller weapons would not have.

I wouldn't call it a clone of anything really. I have heard it compared to "Monster Hunter". I feel that it is what an open world version of Vindictus would have been.

Hope i helped.

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by DjFc

It's a very linear experience, not unlike most themeparks out there. If you think World of Warcraft is massive, then TERA will be too.

The issue with TERA being very skilled based is that people can solo dungeons, normal quests, campaign quests and more or less everything but HARDMODE instances (especially after the massive nerf they applied to leveling not long ago). It is however beneficial to group for faster completion of dungeon quests, loot, very enjoyable boss fights and overall well designed dungeons. Also faster kill speeds when questing outside instances and some other times. But I imagine a lot of people will solo until endgame and then do dungeons (they don't have raids, yet) and organized PvP through battlegrounds and group duels, and what looks to be a extremely poorly implemented guild vs. guild system.

What the game has going for it is the combat system. It's clear the game revolves around it for better or worse. There is very little innovation outside of it, sadly. As far as the oversized weapons go, I don't fully understand where this is coming from. When they're on your back they often have the same, or smaller size than most MMORPG weapons. If you compare to World of Warcraft - they're often the same size. Ever seen a gnome wield a great sword? Just as silly. Frankly the only complaint I could understand is the art style not being acceptable to some people that prefer western armors. 

In conclusion: If you want challenging PvP and potentially challenging PvE (assuming they keep on building on what they have and make the boss fights more complex and unpredictable), with a great combat system with it shares of flaws (subjetive, mostly), then it's worth considering. Frankly, I don't consider GW2 an MMORPG and TSW will probably be a better choice for most people, but I've had it with tab targetting. After playing TERA I find little to no enjoyment tab targetting in MMORPG's. 

(I will play the game)

Just out of curiosity, why don't you consider it to be an MMORPG?

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Thank you for the continued replies. My intrest has been peaked enough for me to really start reseaching it more.

One thing that excites me was no one could give me an answer to the clone question, Which was a trap question. If there would have been a consensus on what type of clone it was i would have written the game off pretty much instantly.

One thing that does kind of bumm me out was that theres no high end PvE content image

The biggest problem with TERA is there is very little high end PVE content. You got a handful of 5 man instance dungeons, BAM camping, and 2 BG's and that is about it. It's one of the biggest reasons it failed in Korea, people just got bored and quit.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Kumapon

The biggest problem with TERA is there is very little high end PVE content. You got a handful of 5 man instance dungeons, BAM camping, and 2 BG's and that is about it. It's one of the biggest reasons it failed in Korea, people just got bored and quit.

I know that was true at launch but is it still so?

They have had a lot of new players in Korea the last 2 months finally, so I thought they maybe fixed that.

Hopefully will the western version have a lot more content at launch.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by toddze

Thank you for the continued replies. My intrest has been peaked enough for me to really start reseaching it more.

One thing that excites me was no one could give me an answer to the clone question, Which was a trap question. If there would have been a consensus on what type of clone it was i would have written the game off pretty much instantly.

One thing that does kind of bumm me out was that theres no high end PvE content image

This is a good place to ask questions:  http://www.twitch.tv/youvegotmailgoodbye you may get trolled some but its all in good fun.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Kumapon

I know that was true at launch but is it still so?
    They have had a lot of new players in Korea the last 2 months finally, so I thought they maybe fixed that.
    Hopefully will the western version have a lot more content at launch.

At launch they only had 2 5 man instance dungeons at end game. But now with the latest patches there are now 9 5 man instance dungeons to do (if you include sky garden).

So the content is slowly coming.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

Tera in Korea has lost its appeal a few months ago.

Barely anyone here talks about/plays the game, but it's definitely an original and very exciting title

With the right marketing strategy, it will take the western world by the storm

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• CarokannCarokann Member Posts: 9

I am tired of tab targeting and auto attacks.  I enjoyed teh combat from titles like Star Ocean, and from little i have seen this games looks like it will be worth my time, even if it is jsut one time through.

So next question that is a big deal to me.  IS the UI customizable?  Does it have monthly subscription fees? 

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by Carokann

I am tired of tab targeting and auto attacks.  I enjoyed teh combat from titles like Star Ocean, and from little i have seen this games looks like it will be worth my time, even if it is jsut one time through.

So next question that is a big deal to me.  IS the UI customizable?  Does it have monthly subscription fees? 

Yes to both of your questions. UI elements can be moved around and resized. There will be a monthly fee, the exact pricing has not been announced yet.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I have followed this game very closely and I am extremely excited for it. I have also heard that it is making a comeback in Korea. This was because the game was unfinished at launch and lacked content but many new dungeons have been added since the release. It has taken them over a year to bring TERA to NA/EU because they will be releasing a fully polished game, and probably have a patch waiting soon after. 

They learned from the mistakes in the Korean launch.

• DjFc88DjFc88 Member Posts: 23

Would probably hold more weight had it not just floppped in Japan.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Originally posted by DjFc

Would probably hold more weight had it not just floppped in Japan.

It seems to have, but there's also plenty of indication that much of its trouble stemmed from the aforementioned issues, especially content. Right now, we're basically waiting to see if they put together a proper amount of content before actually releasing it here. No word either way (that I've heard), but we can at least hope for them to see the writing on the wall. It's not like there isn't already a plethora of failed MMO's on account of insufficent content, after all.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Maybe this time a Korean game gets a hit on western market, it was failing heavy on Asia, now it seems is getting better on Korea (but we cant forget they launch the game with less than half final content as they promised to launch in Europe), and nobody , even Asia nerds likes '' to buy pig in a poke'', but game was promising at first by its innovative combat system, lets wait and see what they will bring to us.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Back when Aion launched I remember reading how it was missing content and the level cap was 45 instead of 50.
    The Korean players saw its potential and stuck with it and look at it now...

The same isn't happening with K-TERA.
    Times have moved on and people have ground too much in other games as to just up and leave for another one.

I know more is in play but this is what I also believe.
  • PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Ncsoft Korea supported Aion much better than NCWest, don't use that as an example against Tera. Even the Korean players were shocked to see how badly ithe game was run in the West. It was nothing to do with seeing its potential and hanging on, that's what the current Western playerbase is doing. 

Tera got released too early is all and they're playing catch up and it doesn't help they're charging a monthly fee which is not common in Asia.