Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online..f2p

kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

ok i was one of those guys that bought this game on release and it was god awful..what i,m wondering is anyone who bought this game on release and that went back a few days ago for f2p  and what are your thoughts on the game..i've been having a go the last week or so and got myself to lvl 17 lieutenant commander..is it me or has this game improved dramatically..there seem more ground ops.also..originally when i bought it i dont remember seeing the duty officers lists for assignments..i maybe wrong and just totally missed them..but if they are new..its something good in my book..so come on guys..whats your thoughts(has i put my tin hat on).

Comments

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

it has improved quite a bit, stilll very content light for my liking though

also use B for ground combat :) 

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Thread below this one: Going F2p Mini-Review is what you want.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Cryptic did barely anything at all in 2011. They had an 11-12 month content drought (didn't matter to C-STORE). This game is still mostly the same. If you played @ release, all it will have is a few FE's, garbage STF's, exactly the same PVP as beta, horrible crafting system, Foundry (which is actually good and should be supported more by cryptic, but isn't). You will also lvl 5x faster than you used to, just so you get to end game and spend $$$ in the c-store.

Cryptic also introduced new grab bags to the C-Store for some extreme Star Trek fan milking. You have an awesome chance of ~1% to get the special ship in sale.

I recommend every single person, Trekkie or not, to avoid this game like the plague. It's still C-Store Online, just like it has been since it's release. It has already gotten even worse and it will continue down that road.

Also, those who buy a Lifetime sub to a Cryptic game are insane. Seems like most of their players for the past years have been lifetimers. You barely even see regular users around.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Well, I liked the PVP.  Didn't like much else.  Can't really argue with f2p though.  The fun space pvp with player-made missions doesn't sound all that bad.  I'm d/ling now to give it another shot.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yeah. Plus i have only play the trial a bit before and have not done any of the episode content. So that is a LOT of free content for me.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Are all ships C-store?

Originally posted by Lexin

Are all ships C-store?

Obviously not.

However, I just started a toon yesterday so i do not know how many ships are free, and how many are not. I dont intend to spend a dime on this game though.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Are all ships C-store?

Obviously not.

However, I just started a toon yesterday so i do not know how many ships are free, and how many are not. I dont intend to spend a dime on this game though.

Me either which is why I wanted to know before getting I even bother to download or anything.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Are all ships C-store?

Obviously not.

Me either which is why I wanted to know before getting I even bother to download or anything.

I have only played through a few missions and so far it is fun. I would try it. While it certainly does not warrant $40 or a sub, it is definitely worth a download so far for me.

But i like trek so your mileage may vary.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

well i,m a commander now..just got myself a cruiser and named it Indefatigable..has far as ships go has far as i know every time you change rank..i,e each 10 lvls you are given a token to get a new ship..it costs nothing..atm i,m lvl 22 and i have not come across any restrictions has of yet,that i know anyways..still learning the game.i have noticed that some people who have been playing the game a while have a tendancy to kick you from a group if your not up to their standard.which in itself is annoying..but you get those eletist tossers eveywhere..been kicked twice from groups in the gorn daily quest..i found that funny cos i was the one keeping them alive..they died quickly.i just stayed in the area and tagged the ships and got the xp anyways..and also if it does happen to you stay in the area anyways because you will get the xp if they complete as well lol.all in all most of the peeps that p2p are very nice people and welcome the f2p guys to the game..also they have no probs in giving advice if you need it.to put it bluntly i,m enjoying myself and i dont worry about being kicked..one of those things i suppose.just got to grin and bare it.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Im giving this another go, downloaded it last night.

Last time I played it I think I spent a total of about 20-30 hours ingame then cancelled. There sure are more people in game than before, mostly new players, so that's a plus. So far the ground game seems much better, but hey it was so bad it only had one way to go to be honset.

If you don't get suckered into their cash shop, there is no harm to play it. You can get a ship upgrade up to a certain point. The game currency is now only dilithium(refined or raw) and the refined can be traded for in game credits. They limited the amount of refined you can make to 8K a day so that's how they get you to "jump" ahead of others with $$$. If you just log in and do DOFF's over the course of time you can at least be somewhat competitive. So at this part, I will give it a go again, only now I will keep my pockets zipped until cryptic gets their act together.

Who knows. Unlike the other games with a rabid fan base, who are easily exploitable by these companies, at least this one allows you to stay out of the monetary slaughterhouse if you choose to.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Bunks

Last time I played it I think I spent a total of about 20-30 hours ingame then cancelled. There sure are more people in game than before, mostly new players, so that's a plus. So far the ground game seems much better, but hey it was so bad it only had one way to go to be honset.

If you don't get suckered into their cash shop, there is no harm to play it. You can get a ship upgrade up to a certain point. The game currency is now only dilithium(refined or raw) and the refined can be traded for in game credits. They limited the amount of refined you can make to 8K a day so that's how they get you to "jump" ahead of others with $$$. If you just log in and do DOFF's over the course of time you can at least be somewhat competitive. So at this part, I will give it a go again, only now I will keep my pockets zipped until cryptic gets their act together.

Who knows. Unlike the other games with a rabid fan base, who are easily exploitable by these companies, at least this one allows you to stay out of the monetary slaughterhouse if you choose to.

you know wot i dont even think of cash shop..they have a cryptic point exchange thing in game..where players can trade points for some type of dilitium or something like that..seems to work well.all in all i aint even touched the shop..now i,m lvl 28 and my cruiser is starting to take shape and batter a few enemies at a time..i have a great ability called eject warp plasma..it absolutely demolishes ships.i,m sticking to the main story line and doin the daily exploration for 1400 dilitium..having a blast really..i am the person that threw this game away when released..have to say its a hell of a lot better now..a lot of other people must think the same as well...i've never seen so many federation ships ever..there are literally thousands wherever you  go.

• lightningjaclightningjac Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by Bunks

the amount of dilithium u can carry rises as u gain rank