Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too bad, they announced that this game will be carebear.

Ugh, what a waste.

Comments

• Lunar_KnightLunar_Knight Member Posts: 292
    Mind giving us a link to this announcement?

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

• RagalornRagalorn Member Posts: 75

Wish they had an "auto-erase thread" everytime the word carebear is used.

• Edward78Edward78 Member Posts: 245

Originally posted by Ragalorn

Nevemind this guy, the truth shall be heard. Ya when I read that about the game, I lost intersest right away. I want full PvP!!!!!!!!!!

• trajan22trajan22 Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by Lunar_Knight
    Mind giving us a link to this announcement?
    http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/632/632603p1.html

Originally posted by Edward78

Nevemind this guy, the truth shall be heard. Ya when I read that about the game, I lost intersest right away. I want full PvP!!!!!!!!!!

Well its not so live with it. No matter how much you complain, they will NOT change it, sorry to tell you.

• 82mch82mch Member Posts: 5
    The term carebear is just a current buzzword... fear not, I am sure it will be replaced with something else soon enough. Then you can have a new word to hate. image
  • toeblasttoeblast Member Posts: 11

Someone should hit FC hard in the head and sue em for making a WoW clone out of Hyboria. Its not 100% WoW clone tho since they will not have any PvP servers. LOL

You are all noobs!

Like the Lisa Simpson quote 82mch:

Lisa: What is 'zazz'?
    Lady: Zing!  Zork!  Kapowza!  Call it what you want, in any language it
          spells mazuma in the bank!
    Lisa: 'Zork'?  What is 'zork'?

LOL!!! At work I hear "think outside the box" all the time, MAN I would love to shake these people sometimes.

• sugarrushsugarrush Member Posts: 6

NO ONE WANTS concensual PvP, it defeats the whole purpose.

I don't gank, but I like the ability to kill someone if they are being a punk, instead of just having to sit there and listen to their whining.
    It's like sitting in the car with your little brother for 10 hours and listening to him whisper insults and jibes at you the whole way, but you can't punch him to shut him up cause your parents are right there.
    I've been busy rereading all the conan novels, and he never bothered to ask someone if they wanted to fight, he justt cut them in half dang it!

• trajan22trajan22 Member Posts: 91

it looks like the devs are revisiting the issue. here's the latest post on the topic from the game director (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=778):

Ahhh, the deadly serious business of PvP! I have been reading the forums, and thinking. For quite some time now, actually. I have decided to take a step back on PvP, and open the design to more gamer input. I guess many of you have read the articles on RPG Vault and Gamespy and know quite a lot of our PvP Technology and choices. I will just repeat a couple of core principles:

1. PvP is becoming one of the, maybe the most, important feature of Age of Conan. It will be brutal, dark and mature - but also a balanced and fun experience.
    2. PvP will always be a choice for you (but saying that, chosing server might also be a choice!)
    3. There will be many types of PvP in Conan (team based, brawling, massive etc), hopefully something for everyone...
    4. You shall be able to play Age of Conan totally without participating in PvP if you want.

Now to the meat of the deal. As I said, I am taking a step back on PvP, and opening up for making many different setups - if that is what you want. Within the framework of the above mentioned principles, there are almost endless possibilities within our current technology.

* On some servers we might have open PvP on a larger level range (right now, it is restricted within the 20 levels of the tier you belong to.)
    * On some servers the PvE Resource Building Regions (where you build your Player Village) might be open for PvP some parts of the day.
    * On some servers you can have spreading PvP everywhere (if you attack someone PvP enabled, you also become PvP enabled...)
    * On other servers the whole world, except Cities and Holy Places (where you are resurrected post death) can be PvP enabled.
    * You could theoretically get PvP on different times of day. (Night-time PvP)
    * We could open the games for PvP events. (Hour of Blood!)
    * You could have PvP for guild versus guilds or sides versus sides in many more areas. (The sides are mentioned in one of the articles.)
    * We could open for item looting, coin looting, item locking (someone else loots a couple of your items, and can use them for 1 hour for instance, before you get them back), special PvP item looting etc.
    * We could give PvE XP bonus in the areas with PvP if you want - to compansate.
    * Since we base Conan on technology and knowledge based on more than 4 years of successful PvP, we have loads of options.
    * All this will be fit into many different server setups!

Ok, why do I mention all this? Because I want to say: except for the principles above, I am a "careful pragmatic"! I will listen to your discussions, and make many different choices of servers if that is what you want. Funcom will keep a firm control (yes a tight control) on the finished result, to make sure they are all fun and balanced, but other than that - you decide.

Also, although it would be cool to have all the options in the world, we will get LOADS of problems communicating all the different setups to new players when they chose their server. Think about it, not "PvP" or "No PvP" but, "This feature list" vs "That Feature list". Thus we shall most likely end up with 3-4 different setups with clear "descriptive" names...

Saying that, I will let my good friends and colleagues handle the setup of the information collection (voting, discussions, threads and so on...). Also, I will take as long as is needed making this decision. It is vital it is as perfect as can be!

Cheers

Gaute Godager
    Game Director Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures

hey guys, that is incredibly good news.

Trejan, how do I tell the dev's that I really love the ideas that they purposed? Open PvP is the lifeblood of Conan and I really want them to know how I support the idea.

• Nai`NeasNai`Neas Member Posts: 48

carebear isn't a current buzzword, as that's what non-P{vP servers were called at least 4 years ago...

• ChiboJChiboJ Member Posts: 11

LOL!!! At work I hear "think outside the box" all the time, MAN I would love to shake these people sometimes.

I hate that phrase most of all! It is overused by managers and manager wannabes who try to justify their position with that type of clever-ism.

Originally posted by sugarrush
    hey guys, that is incredibly good news.Trejan, how do I tell the dev's that I really love the ideas that they purposed? Open PvP is the lifeblood of Conan and I really want them to know how I support the idea.

You can signup and post here: http://www.ageofconan.com/

thanks m8, i thnk i will!

• WeppsWepps Member Posts: 1,322

Originally posted by ChiboJ
    Originally posted by Ragalorn LOL!!! At work I hear "think outside the box" all the time, MAN I would love to shake these people sometimes.I hate that phrase most of all! It is overused by managers and manager wannabes who try to justify their position with that type of clever-ism.

"Think outside the box."

"What box?"

"The box defined by society and previous thinking." (Steve Jobs, who counts himself another poet/engineer)

"Okay try this idea on for size."

"That's way beyond our capability."

"No it's not, we have all the tools necessary."

"Well, then, think outside their box, stay within ours." (Steve Jobs)

Live large. Live large.

"For one who seeks what he cannot obtain suffers torture; one who has what is not desirable is cheated; and one who does not seek what is worth seeking is diseased." - Augustine of Hippo

• Natd8Natd8 Member Posts: 14

Oh great, another medieval themed RPG with, thats right, NO pvp... so why are they even bothering waisting their money? This one is a EQ2 wanna be but not. I dunno why you'd want to even make another game even remotely like EQ it sucked sooo bad.

I'll be laughing at the idiots that pay $15 a month for this dud.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

I hate full open PVP where everyone is open to everyone for attack...It just invites griefers, ganking scurbs, and immature kids into the equation.. Do I want to have pvp where I have to be asked to fight someone, Hell no.. But I do want some type of system in place where High levels cannot go around ganking low levels all day long.. To me that is not PVP but GankVP.... AO did it best if you asked me, and we had endless Tower wars hour after hour back it its PRIME.

I hope they dont give into the gankers and if they do I hope they stay on line with there plan to have different servers for different groups.. Im really sure though that the GANK server will have a very low population in no time, once people find it almost impossible to quest due to being griefed time and time agian.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Horsas

Ugh, what a waste.

The only thing that is a waste is the space that your posts take up. Try having an objective thought for once instead of just your assinine non-observations.

Originally posted by trajan22

it looks like the devs are revisiting the issue. here's the latest post on the topic from the game director (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=778):

Ahhh, the deadly serious business of PvP! I have been reading the forums, and thinking. For quite some time now, actually. I have decided to take a step back on PvP, and open the design to more gamer input. I guess many of you have read the articles on RPG Vault and Gamespy and know quite a lot of our PvP Technology and choices. I will just repeat a couple of core principles:
    1. PvP is becoming one of the, maybe the most, important feature of Age of Conan. It will be brutal, dark and mature - but also a balanced and fun experience.
    2. PvP will always be a choice for you (but saying that, chosing server might also be a choice!)
    3. There will be many types of PvP in Conan (team based, brawling, massive etc), hopefully something for everyone...
    4. You shall be able to play Age of Conan totally without participating in PvP if you want.

Now to the meat of the deal. As I said, I am taking a step back on PvP, and opening up for making many different setups - if that is what you want. Within the framework of the above mentioned principles, there are almost endless possibilities within our current technology.
    * On some servers we might have open PvP on a larger level range (right now, it is restricted within the 20 levels of the tier you belong to.)
    * On some servers the PvE Resource Building Regions (where you build your Player Village) might be open for PvP some parts of the day.
    * On some servers you can have spreading PvP everywhere (if you attack someone PvP enabled, you also become PvP enabled...)
    * On other servers the whole world, except Cities and Holy Places (where you are resurrected post death) can be PvP enabled.
    * You could theoretically get PvP on different times of day. (Night-time PvP)
    * We could open the games for PvP events. (Hour of Blood!)
    * You could have PvP for guild versus guilds or sides versus sides in many more areas. (The sides are mentioned in one of the articles.)
    * We could open for item looting, coin looting, item locking (someone else loots a couple of your items, and can use them for 1 hour for instance, before you get them back), special PvP item looting etc.
    * We could give PvE XP bonus in the areas with PvP if you want - to compansate.
    * Since we base Conan on technology and knowledge based on more than 4 years of successful PvP, we have loads of options.
    * All this will be fit into many different server setups!

Ok, why do I mention all this? Because I want to say: except for the principles above, I am a "careful pragmatic"! I will listen to your discussions, and make many different choices of servers if that is what you want. Funcom will keep a firm control (yes a tight control) on the finished result, to make sure they are all fun and balanced, but other than that - you decide.
    Also, although it would be cool to have all the options in the world, we will get LOADS of problems communicating all the different setups to new players when they chose their server. Think about it, not "PvP" or "No PvP" but, "This feature list" vs "That Feature list". Thus we shall most likely end up with 3-4 different setups with clear "descriptive" names...
    Saying that, I will let my good friends and colleagues handle the setup of the information collection (voting, discussions, threads and so on...). Also, I will take as long as is needed making this decision. It is vital it is as perfect as can be!
    Cheers
    Gaute Godager
    Game Director Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures

Holy crap! Those are some of the best ideas I have EVER heard for PvP! I think you just made yourself a new fan. Damn, you da man! image

• BlittzzBlittzz Member Posts: 261

Ugh, i want to vomit whenever i see one of these carebear/hardcore threads. So lets break this down

Devs see that most people (though it isnt always the case) who are interested in "carebear" games are older and usually have money to spend. So Older/More Mature Audience + money to spend = money in the devs pockets.

Now with "hardcore" games, the devs see (Also not always the case) that most people who are into hardcore games are younger and usually dont have a base income. So they see Younger/ Less Mature Audience + Not much money to spend/No base income = Less money in the devs pockets

So you see, its ALL marketing. The game designers are only going for the type of game that will attract the most money

BTW Age of Conan looks friggin awesome

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Originally posted by Blittzz

So you see, its ALL marketing. The game designers dont give a damn what the customers want, theyre just after the money

Actually, the game designers DO care about what customers want. That's how they make their money.

And let's face it, do you want to make a game that one person in Alaska will want to play or a game that everyone but that 1 guy in Alaska wants? If your answer is the first one then that's why your where you are and game devs are where they are. I'm where I am cuz I can't afford a plane ticket to Bermuda!image

Also, read the entire thread. One of the guys from the company that makes this game just posted a whiz-banger about how there WILL be PvP.image

• BlittzzBlittzz Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by anarchyart

Originally posted by Blittzz

So you see, its ALL marketing. The game designers dont give a damn what the customers want, theyre just after the money

Actually, the game designers DO care about what customers want. That's how they make their money.

And let's face it, do you want to make a game that one person in Alaska will want to play or a game that everyone but that 1 guy in Alaska wants? If your answer is the first one then that's why your where you are and game devs are where they are. I'm where I am cuz I can't afford a plane ticket to Bermuda!image

Also, read the entire thread. One of the guys from the company that makes this game just posted a whiz-banger about how there WILL be PvP.image

Ya, the bottom part was a typo, i just corrected it (My english isnt spot on today). And with the PvP comment, i did read it and i gotta admit, those are the best ideas iv'e EVER heard for PvP

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Many gamers that steer clear of PvP would play one if it is done correctly. (myself included). This game looks very promising.

I was also part of the anarchy online beta test, and played for the first 8 months so I am still very skeptical about this....plus doing justice to a license like Conan will be tough.

We are all hoping for the best. image

• CulliganatorCulliganator Member Posts: 8
    Actually they are considering different server types with different rulesets.  Full FFE PvP may be one.  It is still pre-alpha so only time will tell. It is a bit early to say...