Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still growing, what now?

2»

Comments

• BrambeyBrambey Member Posts: 132

If I recall correctly, WoW did not reach it's peak subscriber base until it had been on the market for a couple years.

Not that I necessarily think TOR will overtake WoW (or really care whether it does or not). Just saying.

Word of mouth will continue to spread the game's popularity. You'll also see a steep increase in subscriptions when a free trial becomes available. (The first hit should always be free.)

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by dubyahite

Yeah, if this was a post saying the game is bleeding subs right now I would ask for proof.

Im pretty sure there is no way to know this either way, and there is no way to prove it.

All I know, is that my server has a very healthy population. I can't say if it is growing or not though.

Yeah that's basically where I am coming from, I haven't noticed a significant drop at all, but at the same time with the way the game is set up it's hard to see anything when it comes to population outside of my guild's activity.

Probably clever to do it that way ;)

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Brambey

If I recall correctly, WoW did not reach it's peak subscriber base until it had been on the market for a couple years.

Not that I necessarily think TOR will overtake WoW (or really care whether it does or not). Just saying.

Word of mouth will continue to spread the game's popularity. You'll also see a steep increase in subscriptions when a free trial becomes available. (The first hit should always be free.)

Just completely different circumstances in a lot of ways.

I wouldn't expect any MMO, possibly ever... to have a similar pattern of growth as WoW - unless something undeniably special was going on.  That ain't TOR.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

After todays patch that is beeing deployed, and the accounts free month ending tomorrow or so.. get ready for a lot of sub cancelations soon.

problem is.. EA is a bunch of clever people.. they wont put the servers live until late tonight so people cannt see whats coming and need to at least pay another month.

patch wont affect me much so.. but will affect a lot of people.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by 69Cuda

Still growing ..what now.

As for TOR still growing, my prediction is some people will not continue on after their month is up.

So it will decline some. I predict it will either decline massively , not so massivly, or not bad at all. 

I also am willing to bet  that it will retain somewhere between 1 -10,000,000 players.

I also predict at least 5 upcoming articles about the game on multiple web sites praising the game as well as deriding the game in the next 2 years.

I know for a fact ( and you can take this one to the bank) that TOR will have more than 2 servers come next week. (And that at least one of them will be a European one)

Delving deeppppp into my crystal ball I also see that this game will be compared to WoW.

You can PM me for more insights if you like but at this point I will have to start charging and refering people to my 1-900 number.

Hope this helped :)

^^funny stuff^^

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Oh I play the the game like crazy, and I was one if the tards that Flamed this game too, I love the game, but I still think its the best thing out there, kinda like being an American Citizen, It could be a hell of a lot better......F2P I dont know yet, micro transactions, Possiblity......

• primetheusprimetheus Member UncommonPosts: 28

not sure why most mmo's these days performance is based on launch numbers and 2nd month numbers WoW only had just about 1 million subs at launch it took 5 years to reach there hight of the apprent 13mill mark.

bioware have said 500k+ subs would make swtor a very profitable game i so fwar out of the hundreds of people ive met in game have only heard a small percentage say they wernt renuing were talking single figures .

so dont judge the game on numbers in 12 months time will be a good time to start judging the game then we will see if promisises have been kept , interest is still ripe and content is regular

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by primetheous

not sure why most mmo's these days performance is based on launch numbers and 2nd month numbers WoW only had just about 1 million subs at launch it took 5 years to reach there hight of the apprent 13mill mark.

bioware have said 500k+ subs would make swtor a very profitable game i so fwar out of the hundreds of people ive met in game have only heard a small percentage say they wernt renuing were talking single figures .

so dont judge the game on numbers in 12 months time will be a good time to start judging the game then we will see if promisises have been kept , interest is still ripe and content is regular

true this. 

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Themeparks don't grow.

Last time they did, the game was called WOW, and it actually innovated gameplay-wise.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Originally posted by rdrpappy

I'll check back next month when it's supposed to be "F2P" but so far it's growing in subs daily.

Sorry but it is, give it a try you might even like it.

and pappy posts another fanboi thread - what a surprise

• EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by Margulis

I'll check back next month when it's supposed to be "F2P" but so far it's growing in subs daily.

the horror of one thread on this forum that isn't about shitting on the game

I am sure you'll get over it

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by Enosh

the horror of one thread on this forum that isn't about shitting on the game

I am sure you'll get over it

LOL, nice.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174

You only see a zealous fan.  I see a courageous gamer who will be judged most viciously by the ever so expert pundits who dwell here.  To any who dare actually declare 'I like game X' I tip my proverbial hat.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

Originally posted by teakbois

Of course its growing in subs daily, its not possible to lose a sub until saturday.

we both know that, but biodrones gotta biodrone

let them have fun for as long as they can, it wont last long.

actually, just 1 more day

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Did they raise server population caps significantly after year turn?

Because if they didn't, this graph doesn't look that good:

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends

• LinseshLinsesh Member Posts: 14

A little off-topic, but I saw someone mention Saturday as the day we find out. IIRC last day of sub is tomorrow, so it will renew midnight Thu/Fri (being as the subscription plan is for 30 days, not one month).

I could be wrong and advise anyone to check their account if they were swithering on whether to sub again or not. That's if the servers ever come back up! That would be interesting, maintainence during a players window to cancel sub. It will happen to someone eventually - another reason they need to look at seperating payment/community/game accounts a little bit better.

Myself, I'm resubbing - just wanted to give anyone a heads up (I know how frustrating it is to get the wrong date, especially if you're putting off resubbing because you're skint).

This discussion has been closed.