Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Statesman Dies Today

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As Paragon Studios has been telling us for several weeks now, the Statesman is going to die in City of Heroes. Today. Maybe even right now. The team is so invested in this tragedy that they have created a new vidoc to go tell the tale of the fallen Statesman.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

This would indeed be the,  big moment , in City of Heroes.  Even though I don't play anymore, I definitely appreciate what they're doing.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Good!

Statesman was the incarnation of Jack Emmerts Super Ego.

It needed to die a long time ago

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

This video told me nothing about statesmans death... So why did you post it  int the story under the title "Statesman Dies Today"

• mmachine88mmachine88 Member Posts: 7

City of Heroes is one of the best mmo's out there, and their doing a great job keeping the game alive. R.I.P. statesman.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Is nice to see that this team is still highly involved in making this game endure.

Makes me wanna go and take a look at it. Maybe i will.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by maskedweasel

This would indeed be the,  big moment , in City of Heroes.  Even though I don't play anymore, I definitely appreciate what they're doing.

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Good!

Statesman was the incarnation of Jack Emmerts Super Ego.

It needed to die a long time ago

I agree whole heartedly with both statements!

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Clerigo

Is nice to see that this team is still highly involved in making this game endure.

I smell a "Death of Superman" storyline.  Not that the actual battle is a bad thing, or the dramatic, heroic death.

But the Deus Ex Machina that always follows, at least in comic books...well, that's usually a botch.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• JonathJCenJonathJCen Member UncommonPosts: 202

Ah, thaught aracnoid was dead too for a moment, saw that new supervillain on COH main site.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by Icewhite

I smell a "Death of Superman" storyline.  Not that the actual battle is a bad thing, or the dramatic, heroic death.

But the Deus Ex Machina that always follows, at least in comic books...well, that's usually a botch.

Statesman died once already, in the comics, courtesy of an arrow intentionally shot at him.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Originally posted by therain93

Originally posted by Icewhite

Statesman died once already, in the comics, courtesy of an arrow intentionally shot at him.

to the knee?

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

What they FAIL to tell you is this is a Story arc in the game that they Added to the "Paragon marekt place" So yea Unless you shell out more real life cash to "Buy it" Your not going to get it..

I Stopped playing this game a About a month after going F2P and thats after Playing it and being a 60+ month Vett Because Nothing is Free to play.  Before it when F2P we would have got this in a "Issue update" like the 20 we had before it started doiing the F2P as a part of are monthy charge..

Damm it i hate when good games go F2P All they Do is Add Fluff and Charge Everyone more then there Monthly fee

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221

Originally posted by XxjagoxX

What they FAIL to tell you is this is a Story arc in the game that they Added to the "Paragon marekt place" So yea Unless you shell out more real life cash to "Buy it" Your not going to get it..

I Stopped playing this game a About a month after going F2P and thats after Playing it and being a 60+ month Vett Because Nothing is Free to play.  Before it when F2P we would have got this in a "Issue update" like the 20 we had before it started doiing the F2P as a part of are monthy charge..

Damm it i hate when good games go F2P All they Do is Add Fluff and Charge Everyone more then there Monthly fee

If you're a subscriber and pay the monthly fee the Signature Story Arcs are entirely free.  As was all the story content in I-21 and the trials added as I21.5 and the upcoming story content in I-22.  There was also a free (for subscribers) brand new power set with I-21 and some powersets already in the game added to different ATs and there's another one coming with I-22 that's free for subscribers.

So far their track record is pretty good.  I'm getting everything I ever used to as a subscriber.  The two issues that I've been able to see (one live and one currently intesting) are just a content rich as they ever were.  New/revamped zones with numerous story arcs, a free powerset with each issue (something that very rarely happened before), a free costume set with each issue, and new VIP/veteran costume sets.  Then on top of that there's been more story arcs added in with the issues that wasn't part of the 'new' area of the (First Ward for I-21 and the revamped Dark Astoria for I-22) and the five Signature Story Arcs that they've released so far.  As a subscriber every single bit of that cost me not a dime more than my $15 a month.

Sure they've released costume sets, vanity pets and 3 power sets that I'd have to pay for if I wanted (and I did for some of them) but all of that is above and beyond what they've ever given subscribers in the past.  Plus it's mostly fluff aside from the powersets, but as a subscriber you'd get $5 worth of points per month and since the power sets seem to be coming out ever other month or so and cost $10 you could just ignore the fluff and save your points for powersets and get 'em "free".

Seriously, if you dropped your sub and stopped playing assuming you'd be having to pay for all the new content added into the game and not because it was no longer fun, then I encourage you to try re-upping your sub for a month.  All you'd have to pay for would be any of the powersets you might possibly want and a couple of the powersets and all that is completely incidental to the game itself.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I have to admit that the whole "statesman dies today" thing really didn't do much for me when it was announced -- I think a bit of it is because of a.) the aloofness the charater and b.) the association with Jack E, who took the name for his own use on the board.  Having played straight through all 5 of the SSA arcs for the first time this weekend though, I have to say that it's been pretty well written and the death scene is certainly one of the higher points of story-telling anywhere (imho).

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Yeah, I get that feeling sometimes too ....and then I remember why I stopped playing in the first place.

I like CoH but I will never play it again.