Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"this game will not be SWG 2.0"...

...but it should have been. 

i have read that phrase posted on this forum and on the OB countless of times by fanboys or others bitten by the hype bug during the development phase of the game when we alerted to the fact that this game misses one very important MMO pillar  that suddenly now everyone recognise is missing.

That pillar is the social pillar. This game is void of life. For a MMORPG, this is kinda huge. There are no social features what so ever. There is no purpose to guilds - no guild banks, no community (or guild) crafting (ie community projects), no galaxy-wide territorial control, no chat bubbles, instances galore (with too long logging screens), abuse of teleportation buttons and quest signs; there is no need to spend time making friends in game when a press of a button will hook you up with random players to complete an instanced mission.

I can see the AoC syndrome hitting in the game right now. "We are level 50 and have nothing to do!" And Bioware's reply (boo-hoo) "re-roll a character". 

No s**** Sherlock; you almost had us convinced that your unwillingless to tell us what your plans for end-game content were was some supa-dupa revolutionary secret that would have changed the industry for ever...

But no. 

Its just not there. 

Or it is... depending what your standards are. 

If it were only me, I would not even bother writing this post. But these complaints are now surfacing time and again in the interwebs and I cannot but find it a little ironic.

Aside from the fact that levelling IS interesting and compelling at times, I keep on wondering why oh why this isnt a single player game?

So... my mmorpg.com friends. how are you liking WoW 2.0?

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Haven't tried WOW 2.0. But I have been playing TOR and it's a hundred times more fun to me than SWG ever was. You couldn't pay me enough to play a reskinned version of that POS. The players like myself weren't stating a dislike for SWG because of any "hype" bug. It was based on genuine dislike for the game based on actual experience. I know this a difficult concept for you SWG fans, but there was many that played it who didn't like it and have no interest in playing it again. You had your game and now we have ours.

Tor isn't perfect, but then again I don't base what game I'm playing on a checklist or in comparison to other games. I base it on how much fun I am having and right now I'm having more fun than I ever had in SWG, which to me was the worse Star Wars game ever. Sorry, but groupinng up to kill the same mobs over and over again isn't my idea of fun. Neither is not being able to play my class because it doesn't work or being a smuggler who can't smuggle or a commando who can't blow stuff up because his skill tree is gimped. I also don't miss alpha class jedi pawning everything in existence.

Far as friends go, I'm having NO problem finding friends in this game. If you are playing it, which I seriouisly doubt based on your post history, you would have no problem finding them. Here's a tip, they don't hang around cantinas gawking at dancers or chatting up in a guild hall about the latest house they decorated. They are out in the field completing missions and group content. You see for many of us, a game needs to have more than just the ability to socialize. I already have facebook and twitter for that, both of which doesn't cost a sub fee.

Now that I've answered your question, answer mine...How much fun are you having with whatever game you are currently playing? Or are you one of those people whose version of gameplay is to complain about every new game not being SWG 2.0?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by Troneas

i have read that phrase posted on this forum and on the OB countless of times by fanboys or others bitten by the hype bug during the development phase of the game when we alerted to the fact that this game misses one very important MMO pillar  that suddenly now everyone recognise is missing.

That pillar is the social pillar. This game is void of life. For a MMORPG, this is kinda huge. There are no social features what so ever. There is no purpose to guilds - no guild banks, no community (or guild) crafting (ie community projects), no galaxy-wide territorial control, no chat bubbles, instances galore (with too long logging screens), abuse of teleportation buttons and quest signs; there is no need to spend time making friends in game when a press of a button will hook you up with random players to complete an instanced mission.

I can see the AoC syndrome hitting in the game right now. "We are level 50 and have nothing to do!" And Bioware's reply (boo-hoo) "re-roll a character". 

No s**** Sherlock; you almost had us convinced that your unwillingless to tell us what your plans for end-game content were was some supa-dupa revolutionary secret that would have changed the industry for ever...

But no. 

Its just not there. 

If it were only me, I would not even bother writing this post. But these complaints are now surfacing time and again in the interwebs and I cannot but find it a little ironic.

Aside from the fact that levelling IS interesting and compelling at times, I keep on wondering why oh why this isnt a single player game?

You are just another poster with entitlement issues, that thinks the game developers should cater to your frankly unhealthy obsession with a game that no longer exist.

Time to let go. Now go tell that to that small group you think you represent as well

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

Someday there will be a SWG 2.0, but it'll probably be by a small time dev studio and have a huge hill to climb.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

ToR is more "theme parky" than WoW every was, there is litterly not a single thing you can do in the game which was not designed by the developers, heck WoW atleast in the ol' days had loads of exploring to do :P espcially the "illegal" kind, like the end of the earth, troll village, GM island, the underwater part of the tram, the airfield, the top of BRM, and many other places...

ToR has nothing of that, yeah there is some "exploring" to do but every peace was put there by the devs and honestly there is nothing to really to explore even legaly, WoW from that point had much more content and during vanilla it was much more exited, they tomb of a blizz employee in the barrens, the statue in duskwood, the "secrete" cove in tanaris, side streets in SW, ashzara and just about every where... the thing i've most hated about cata is that they removed every peace of "uneeded" or "unused" or "were not going there / doing that sorry" peace of realestate in the game and put a very painfully hand crafted quest hub...

I miss the old WoW where quests were miles apart and you could wonder and see somthing cool or find some stupid rare mob, or jsut a dead end that dev's didnt got to finish yet. some how that made the game feel more realistic and cooler...

Ahh went on a side note there, so yeah i don't really know how any one could have tought that ToR would be SWG any thing :P

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by ktanner3

Haven't tried WOW 2.0. But I have been playing TOR and it's a hundred times more fun to me than SWG ever was. You couldn't pay me enough to play a reskinned version of that POS. The players like myself weren't stating a dislike for SWG because of any "hype" bug. It was based on genuine dislike for the game based on actual experience. I know this a difficult concept for you SWG fans, but there was many that played it who didn't like it and have no interest in playing it again. You had your game and now we have ours.

Tor isn't perfect, but then again I don't base what game I'm playing on a checklist or in comparison to other games. I base it on how much fun I am having and right now I'm having more fun than I ever had in SWG, which to me was the worse Star Wars game ever. Sorry, but groupinng up to kill the same mobs over and over again isn't my idea of fun. Neither is not being able to play my class because it doesn't work or being a smuggler who can't smuggle or a commando who can't blow stuff up because his skill tree is gimped. I also don't miss alpha class jedi pawning everything in existence.

Far as friends go, I'm having NO problem finding friends in this game. If you are playing it, which I seriouisly doubt based on your post history, you would have no problem finding them. Here's a tip, they don't hang around cantinas gawking at dancers or chatting up in a guild hall about the latest house they decorated. They are out in the field completing missions and group content. You see for many of us, a game needs to have more than just the ability to socialize. I already have facebook and twitter for that, both of which doesn't cost a sub fee.

Now that I've answered your question, answer mine...How much fun are you having with whatever game you are currently playing? Or are you one of those people whose version of gameplay is to complain about every new game not being SWG 2.0?

Aaaah.

Of course.

Just like the NGE people used to say: "We are all doing heroics! thats why you cant find people on your server" - they were "all" (10 of them) locked in some dungeon for the 100th time.

And since I have now reached level 50, what can I do besides missions or repeating flashpoints?

And trashing the grind of SWG just because I am saying this game is a rather shallow SPG like many here and elsewhere are pointing out does nothing to counter the point that vital community and player-driven content is missing. 

But you are not level 50 yet. I can see that. No problem. Check back again when you get there. Thank you for your input. 

Originally posted by DOGMA1138

ToR is more "theme parky" than WoW every was, there is litterly not a single thing you can do in the game which was not designed by the developers, heck WoW atleast in the ol' days had loads of exploring to do :P espcially the "illegal" kind, like the end of the earth, troll village, GM island, the underwater part of the tram, the airfield, the top of BRM, and many other places...

ToR has nothing of that, yeah there is some "exploring" to do but every peace was put there by the devs and honestly there is nothing to really to explore even legaly, WoW from that point had much more content and during vanilla it was much more exited, they tomb of a blizz employee in the barrens, the statue in duskwood, the "secrete" cove in tanaris, side streets in SW, ashzara and just about every where... the thing i've most hated about cata is that they removed every peace of "uneeded" or "unused" or "were not going there / doing that sorry" peace of realestate in the game and put a very painfully hand crafted quest hub...

I miss the old WoW where quests were miles apart and you could wonder and see somthing cool or find some stupid rare mob, or jsut a dead end that dev's didnt got to finish yet. some how that made the game feel more realistic and cooler...

Ahh went on a side note there, so yeah i don't really know how any one could have tought that ToR would be SWG any thing :P

WoW is the dumbed down version of EQ II ; SWTOR is the dumbed down version of WoW. 

• Tyvolus3Tyvolus3 Member Posts: 67

But no. 

Its just not there. 

let me shorten this for all of you -- Its a single player RPG with some multiplayer capabilities.  no need for the $15 sub.  end of story.

• AbdiellAbdiell Member UncommonPosts: 102

there is no need to spend time making friends in game when a press of a button will hook you up with random players to complete an instanced mission.

Have you even played this game? WTF are you talking about. 

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

TOR is doing the job it is intended to do. Trion is already copying good features from the which also will intern force Blizzard too eventualy. I doubt there will be some crazy mass unsubs, but they do need to switch up at end game or they will take a hit.

Originally posted by Abdiell

there is no need to spend time making friends in game when a press of a button will hook you up with random players to complete an instanced mission.

there is no point in establishing relationships with other players in game - you merely join a group to complete a dungeon and thats that - you are on your way. 

You could very well be grouped with 5 NPC companions instead for that. 

• dominiadominia Member Posts: 191

No matter what mmo you play, whether it's WoW, LotRO, EQ, EVE, Shadowbane, Dark and Light, Earth and Beyond, EQ2, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, Vanguard, DotA, Starcraft or even FTP games like Dragon's Nest etc..

A game is only as fun as the people you are playing it with!

Otherwise it's just an expensive, grindy, poorly made rpg with a definite ending but no resolution. SWTOR is no different, and neither was SWG.

Actually no I take that back, Dark and Light was complete failure.

Currently Playing: GW2
    Retired: Shadowbane, DAoC, WoW, FFXI, Eve Online, SWToR

The Aphelion MMO Blog - GW2 Initial Impressions

I wonder what it was with SWG that made people batshit crazy. It wasn't even that popular. How many subs did it have when it was on top ? 200k?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

SWTOR is fun, there is no doubt about that, but it is short lived. The story missions just get dull and tedious after a while, especially if playing with others, and doing them over and over again. These things are best enjoyed by yourself or like minded friends.

I am having fun in SWTOR but will only last until level 50, then it will be no more. In SWG I was having fun daily, and would have had fun in it forever.

If SWTOR adds in things that you can tinker with / addsin variety, like play around with like Player cities / Housing (even if it is your ship), Beast Master (controlling and especially creating pets), Chronicles (player made content system), better crafting, better space, or things like this then it will hold peoples interests longer, and will have fun for years and years, instead of months. This is the only thing wrong with SWTOR.

What do you plan on doing once hit 50 - keep rerolling characters?

• AbdiellAbdiell Member UncommonPosts: 102

there is no point in establishing relationships with other players in game - you merely join a group to complete a dungeon and thats that - you are on your way. 

So you're made at the game for not being social, because they make you find groups of other players to finish heroics and flashpoints?

Makes sense. Smoke some more weed, and go play on a SWG emulator.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by DOGMA1138

WoW is the dumbed down version of EQ II ; SWTOR is the dumbed down version of WoW. 

WoW is a dumded down version of EQ2, not really, EQ2 wasn't any good at any thing, not to mention it came out after wow :P

Originally posted by dominia

No matter what mmo you play, whether it's WoW, LotRO, EQ, EVE, Shadowbane, Dark and Light, Earth and Beyond, EQ2, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, Vanguard, DotA, Starcraft or even FTP games like Dragon's Nest etc..

A game is only as fun as the people you are playing it with!

Otherwise it's just an expensive, grindy, poorly made rpg with a definite ending but no resolution. SWTOR is no different, and neither was SWG.

Actually no I take that back, Dark and Light was complete failure.

that is the whole point.

but some games make it easier, more worth while, and rewarding to play with others. 

i could craft a blaster, for instance, and shove it inside the AH (or worse, inside some dropbox in my house or ship) and it will sell to someone who buys it at the other end (assuming crafted items are worth anything, of course).

OR, I could craft items that my friends (ie guild) needs and become a valuable member of a community. Or said crafted item could have my name on it and depending on the quality of resources used a different quality to it than the rest of its type and help me establish relationship with clients. 

On both of these scenarios the game has to help me. In the former case guild members need to have use for my items for more than 1 level and not finding replicas or better items on every other drop on their own.

You see in the first scenario, I dont need to talk to people, on the second scenario, I do. 

But this is just one example of many of how this game totally lacks social features. 

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

It became obvious to me in beta that there was zero social element to TOR, so I took the mindset of playing through once on live mainly as single-player.  Unfortunately, I just can't get into the game even with that mindset.  It's just dull.  I'm barely logging in now with a BH at 46, and I probably won't get him to 50 before my account expires this week.

So you're made at the game for not being social, because they make you find groups of other players to finish heroics and flashpoints?

Makes sense. Smoke some more weed, and go play on a SWG emulator.

you completely missed the point.

i dont mind the game "making me find players to finish" dungeons.

Its the lack of meaningfullness of the whole thing that gets me. 

I would find it so much more appealing if myself and my guild would organise, plan and execute a mission to expand our say influental  borders in space or on a planet or to kill a mob that will drop some shield component for our city that will in turn prevent it from being raided by others than grouping up for a flashpoint that if dumbed down it would make no difference if you did it by yourself, since you are only there to get loot for yourself. 

Originally posted by Starpower

I wonder what it was with SWG that made people batshit crazy. It wasn't even that popular. How many subs did it have when it was on top ? 200k?

I remember SWG being trashed on a daily basis not only in game but on the offficial forums for how boring and broken it was. It had a decent population, but when WOW came out a lot of people I played with left. The reason so many of them are griping is because SOE snuck a complete makeover of the game on them and took out what actually WAS good in order to appeal to the WOW crowd. What's amazing is that even after the way SOE screwed them over, some of that playerbase will STILL give money to SOE.Just follow the people who hate TOR and then see if they ever posted in the DCUO forums or any other game in development by SOE. Apparently SOE still deserves to be given money after screwing everyone over, but TOR should fail because it didn't try to copy SWG. Doesn't make any sense to me.  

I remember SWG being trashed on a daily basis not only in game but on the offficial forums for how boring and broken it was. It had a decent population, but when WOW came out a lot of people I played with left. The reason so many of them are griping is because SOE snuck a complete makeover of the game on them and took out what actually WAS good in order to appeal to the WOW crowd. What's amazing is that even after the way SOE screwed them over, some of that playerbase will STILL give money to SOE.Just follow the people who hate TOR and then see if they ever posted in the DCUO forums or any other game in development by SOE. Apparently SOE still deserves to be given money after screwing everyone over, but TOR should fail because it didn't try to copy SWG. Doesn't make any sense to me.  

Even before the overhaul SoE did the game wasn't that good. From what I remember It couldn't retain EQs success which prompted the changes SoE made in the first place.

Regardless. It seems to have created a mental defeciency in some of it's followers that simply can't move on no matter what

Aaaah.

Of course.

Just like the NGE people used to say: "We are all doing heroics! thats why you cant find people on your server" - they were "all" (10 of them) locked in some dungeon for the 100th time.

And since I have now reached level 50, what can I do besides missions or repeating flashpoints?

I still have hard time believing that you actually bought this game. As much as you have trashed this game during development for not being more like SWG, I expected you of all people to know that this wasn't the game for you. I could have saved you the trouble by saying "No, this isn't going to be a game where you get to play the moisture farmer. Save your money."Never mind, the developers of TOR themselves already did that,WELL in advance of release. You really have no one to blame but yourself.

And trashing the grind of SWG just because I am saying this game is a rather shallow SPG like many here and elsewhere are pointing out does nothing to counter the point that vital community and player-driven content is missing. 

Hey, you came into this forum trashing TOR and saying it should be another SWG. If you want to only talk with people who agree with you on SWG then you should do it in the SWG forums. There is plenty of player driven content, you just don't like it. Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. But don't say it isn't there because now you're just lying.

But you are not level 50 yet. I can see that. No problem. Check back again when you get there. Thank you for your input. 

Care to answer the question I posed or are you going to continue to ignore it?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Sounds a lot like SWTOR now too - being trashed on a daily basis!

SWTOR is like SWG NGE alright but without all the extra systems to bind it all together, and give it a long lasting fun experience

The story based V/O content replaces the Legacy quests in SWG and is the only thing that is done better over SWG.Flashpoints are the equivalent of Heroics, and all the other stuff in SWG is non existent in SWTOR. It is not a copy of SWG, it is a cut and paste with A LOT not pasted into SWTOR.

SWTOR makes SWG look like a creation of genius

Originally posted by superniceguy

Sounds a lot like SWTOR now too - being trashed on a daily basis!

SWTOR is like SWG NGE alright but without all the extra systems to bind it all together, and give it a long lasting fun experience

There was nothing fun about NGE. The quests were boring, combat was horrible(unless you like crappy quasi-FPS type games with figures running around like they are on crack) and the issues people had with the game was still not addressed. Hence why my entire guild quit.

The story based V/O content replaces the Legacy quests in SWG and is the only thing that is done better over SWG.Flashpoints are the equivalent of Heroics, and all the other stuff in SWG is non existent in SWTOR. It is not a copy of SWG, it is a cut and paste with A LOT not pasted into SWTOR.

That comment makes no sense whatsover. TOR is nothing like SWG and I am very thankful for that.

SWTOR makes SWG look like a creation of genius

Thanks for the laugh.

• rymanryman Member Posts: 227

Even before the overhaul SoE did the game wasn't that good. From what I remember It couldn't retain EQs success which prompted the changes SoE made in the first place.

Regardless. It seems to have created a mental defeciency in some of it's followers that simply can't move on no matter what

Actually, during its prime it was more around 400k. And during that time, it was quite a lot. It fell steadily especially after the release of World Of Warcraft.

And honestly, it was probably the last true MMORPG to come out of the AAA developers. However it was changed greatly and did not resemble what it once was later on. SOE just wanted a piece of the WoW pie, and instead lost everything.

If you had any experience in the MMORPG industry during the early 2000 and late 90s, you'll know why some people can't just move on. And for those that don't get it, well look at the games like Ultima Online, Everquest 1, Dark Age Of Camelot, Final Fantasy 11, and ofcourse, SWG. No games made today from AAA developers exist on the market today that can house the current players of these games. Sure, some have moved on with the 'trend' but others may not like how the games changed completely as a result.

This is why Vanguard was such a big deal. It was the goto game for that audience of gamers. But, it was released too early and failed from technical flaws and cash flow.

Your beloved WoW, SWTOR, AOC, WAR, (insert million other themeparks) would not be here if it weren't for the gamers that supported the traditional real MMORPGs.

Your welcome.

Aaaah.

Of course.

I still have hard time believing that you actually bought this game. As much as you have trashed this game during development for not being more like SWG, I expected you of all people to know that this wasn't the game for you. I could have saved you the trouble by saying "No, this isn't going to be a game where you get to play the moisture farmer. Save your money."Never mind, the developers of TOR themselves already did that,WELL in advance of release. You really have no one to blame but yourself.

Hey, you came into this forum trashing TOR and saying it should be another SWG. If you want to only talk with people who agree with you on SWG then you should do it in the SWG forums. There is plenty of player driven content, you just don't like it. Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. But don't say it isn't there because now you're just lying.

Care to answer the question I posed or are you going to continue to ignore it?

i knew what to expect. and i am not surprised to have found it.

still, i was a huge fan of KOTOR and KOTOR 2 and am a big SW fan. 

i enjoy it for what it is... for almost a month. 

But many people did not WANT to expect this even though they were warned and suddenly posts start appearing everywhere complaining about the lack of depth and things to do past level 50. 

obviously you are not one of them; but you know about many others who flamed myself and others for pointing out that "story" isnt in 4th pillar at all when the "social" pillar was completely scrapped from design by telling us to go play the EMU or that "this isnt SWG 2".