Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sadly SWTOR is losing its appeal too fast for me at level 50.

Comments

• insanejoshinsanejosh Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by DarkPony

- Fragmented game "world":

Even though the worlds are big, open and richly detailed. And even though world <-> personal instance transitions are completely seamless, traveling between worlds or stations means staring at a long loading screen each time; so long that it breaks my attention, immersion and possibly other -ions too.

Spend some money and buy an SSD, my load times are very minimal and not very noticable.

- Uninspired design;

Making relatively compact space stations the main hub for each faction was a very, very bad call in my opinion; it has been said before by others; these kind of artificial "shopping mall like" environments function pretty well as hubs but feel very artifical and unimmersive. Also they are lag heavy with 200+ players in your direct vicinity at prime time.

I think that the fleet cantina music (at least on empire side) will eventually inspire people to choke small animals and maybe even family members, which really is a shame.

How is this any different from Stormwind? Also, I have very little lag on the space stations. I hate to beat a dead horse, but maybe its time for a computer upgrade?

Also, you can turn your music down if you don't like it.

- Lack of gameplay alternatives;

At max level it's either grinding the same old warzones (mostly Huttball), doing hard mode fp's, spend your 10 minutes on Ilum for quest completion each day and if you like some extra grind: doing level 50 dailies on Belsavis and Illum for "daily commendations".

Since I am not much of an instance crawler, the things I can do out in the open world, like world pvp, harvesting, fishing, to give a few examples, are crucial.

Sadly Swtor doesn't tap into that so much; the two main time sinks for players at max level are warzones and flashpoints; the worlds are mostly leveling content and don't play much of a role at all at level 50. So yeah, at 50 you'll spend most your time in either instances or in a shopping mall.

IF world pvp on Ilum post 1.1. turns out to be very fun and engaging even after people did their daily, that might be a saving grace in my eyes. I'm very curious how it will pan out.

How is Bioware's fault? The reason you are playing so much Huttball is because the opposite faction is not queing up for PVP.

You don't have to let the opposing faction finish their daily or weekly on Ilum, try actually killing them and not let them get their turn-ins. I know! crazy thought actually killing Rebs or Imperials and making it harder for them to do their Ilum quests. Crazy Stuff there!

Also, you knew harvesting and fishing were not in the game; why bitch about it?

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

sad pony...:( I totally feel your pain and I am sorry it is not meeting your expectations.. I saw many of your posts here in support of TOR and for you ( at the time ) and those also enjoying i was certainly envious and at the same time happy that you all got a shiny new MMO that you really really liked !

A new MMO that you can really dig into is a great experience... there is nothing like an MMO launch.. glad to hear you enjoyed the ride at least !

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I give you credit for being willing to come in here and talk openly about your change of stance.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

No offense Pony, but spending one year defending and anticipating a game which you then play for not even one month due to reasons that were obvious to many from the pre-release interviews and videos, is what majority of players went or will go through, but I expected of you to have slighly better endurance against the hype than the average gamer.

REALITY CHECK

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Originally posted by WikingDK

The same story always. Every game have it. People rush to max level, and then complai. The game is a few months old, and off course the game have to devolope over time. 

Why is you allready lvl 50? maybe enjoy the game instead. Take some days off sometimes.

I have played since launch, and I just dinged 20 today. 

That doesn't solve the innate problem with the game.  You will eventually hit 50 and if you have the time and desire now to play, why should you slow down?  That's a problem with the game after you hit the level cap.

Alts ! I thought SWTOR was going to be great for alts for the stories ? That was my plan ( and is when i go back )...

Alts are good !

• CatulusCatulus Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by Blackdef

Originally posted by melton80

Sadly this is how games are since WoW, games are all about instant gratification nowadays and if someone can't get max level in a month the game is somehow considered crap, but on the other hand the game ends up being crap cause the same people that rushed to end-game say there is not enough end-game for them, so it is a lose lose when it comes to these kinda players. Back when i played EQ getting half a level or even a level in a day was an accomplishment, but now we get these new generation of gamers that want everything to be soloable, easy, and fast to level. It is the WoW generation that has ruined MMOs with their wanting games to be just as easy as WoW (which is extremely easy to play) and instant end-game gratification, not to mention the ability to solo all content, cause if it is too hard it needs to be nerfed.

Nail On The Head, Remember DAOC and mini Dings?  you get half a lvl in 3 days without play 24 hrs and you felt like you won the lotto after 45, Most posters and MMOers of today or raised by breast milk cry babies

Rarely post (forum lurker), but have to respond to this. I have been seeing this mentality everywhere. Would people please stop blaming the so-called 'WOW generation' for the state of MMOs? My first MMO was EQ2, then WOW. I'm definately not of this mythical we-want-it easy crowd. I'm not convinced it exists. Did everyone else, but me who started MMOs after that 'wonderful golden age' of EQ/SWG/UO/DAOC etc. get some sort of survey where all the developers sent out spam emails: do you want us to make cookie-cutter easy mmos for eternity and they answer yes en masse? What nonsense.

So once some people are done yelling 'get off my lawn' at those damn young-un's can we turn the blame to where it really belongs, those MMO developers who have refused to do practically anything different since WOW?

Oh, and on topic: couldn't even get to lvl 40. Expected a MMO with a story aspect added on. Was utterly amazed at how Bioware managed to fail so spectacularly at the MM part. The UI was awkward and unwieldy, and apparently having health bars actually displayed the correct health in raid frames would make playing a healer far to easy /sarcasm. The warfronts are dire (no Bioware lvl 50 should not fight lvl 10s...) Barely met more than four players at once on any leveling planet. I knew it wouldn't be a long term game for me (seemed to generic), but I expected to at least last more than two weeks.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by dreamer05

I always giggle when people blast through an MMO at ridiculous speed and then wonder why they're getting tired of it.  Get a hobby, pick up a book, go outside.  A part time job maybe?  People who spend 60 hours a week playing an MMO are experiencing something called 'burning out'.  Take it a little slow, enjoy the game. 

Dang, brutal, see how fanboys quickly through pervious fans under the bus.

Dark Pony let me be the first to welcome you to the REAL dark side. image

DId you read the second half of that post?

"Now that said, that was a generalized comment for all MMO players.  As for SWTOR well.... I played at least 3 different times in beta, at launch, and recently, really wanting to like it and found myself absolutely bored to death so I'm not really shocked by people at max level being bored.  All of your reasons are very good and valid and the end game pvp problem you stated is why I didn't pre order or buy my own copy for that matter."

Right.  I don't think they did.  I don't know how I can be considered a fanboy when I stated I don't enjoy the game either.  But it's true that if you're spending 60 hours a week playing a video game, there's obviously only so many hours in a week and other things could be done.  Stretch out your time, don't burn through it and you'd probably find yourself enjoying it more.  Touchy defense mechinisms people.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Originally posted by Kyleran

/salute DarkPony for being so candid.  The points you raise are not actually new, others apparently came to this conclusion when reaching this same point in their gameplay experience.

I've had a copy of the game since Christmas, but haven't broken the seal yet as I still think I want to give this title a chance to gel some. (never even tried it in beta)

I suspect by the 6 month mark they'll have improved on many of these issues, especially PVP relevance, and that's probably when I'll give it a try.

agreed about him being candid - and agree about the 6 months thing.  My opinion is that's too little too late though as the other big name mmo's are going to be dropping by then.

• FearmeirlFearmeirl Member UncommonPosts: 231

Probably cuz its a trash game.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by Forumtalker

Originally posted by dreamer05

I always giggle when people blast through an MMO at ridiculous speed and then wonder why they're getting tired of it.  Get a hobby, pick up a book, go outside.  A part time job maybe?  People who spend 60 hours a week playing an MMO are experiencing something called 'burning out'.  Take it a little slow, enjoy the game.

I always laugh when someone ASSumes and has no idea of what people do in real life and attack with the classic "get a job"  or the "go outside" line.

Truth be told OP and other's have made contructive posts unlike yours.

Or more constructive than the rage self defense mode post you made that had no consructive worth to it at all... Much like this one :)

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by insanejosh

Originally posted by DarkPony

- Fragmented game "world":

Even though the worlds are big, open and richly detailed. And even though world <-> personal instance transitions are completely seamless, traveling between worlds or stations means staring at a long loading screen each time; so long that it breaks my attention, immersion and possibly other -ions too.

Spend some money and buy an SSD, my load times are very minimal and not very noticable.

- Uninspired design;

Making relatively compact space stations the main hub for each faction was a very, very bad call in my opinion; it has been said before by others; these kind of artificial "shopping mall like" environments function pretty well as hubs but feel very artifical and unimmersive. Also they are lag heavy with 200+ players in your direct vicinity at prime time.

I think that the fleet cantina music (at least on empire side) will eventually inspire people to choke small animals and maybe even family members, which really is a shame.

How is this any different from Stormwind? Also, I have very little lag on the space stations. I hate to beat a dead horse, but maybe its time for a computer upgrade?

Also, you can turn your music down if you don't like it.

- Lack of gameplay alternatives;

At max level it's either grinding the same old warzones (mostly Huttball), doing hard mode fp's, spend your 10 minutes on Ilum for quest completion each day and if you like some extra grind: doing level 50 dailies on Belsavis and Illum for "daily commendations".

Since I am not much of an instance crawler, the things I can do out in the open world, like world pvp, harvesting, fishing, to give a few examples, are crucial.

Sadly Swtor doesn't tap into that so much; the two main time sinks for players at max level are warzones and flashpoints; the worlds are mostly leveling content and don't play much of a role at all at level 50. So yeah, at 50 you'll spend most your time in either instances or in a shopping mall.

IF world pvp on Ilum post 1.1. turns out to be very fun and engaging even after people did their daily, that might be a saving grace in my eyes. I'm very curious how it will pan out.

How is Bioware's fault? The reason you are playing so much Huttball is because the opposite faction is not queing up for PVP.

You don't have to let the opposing faction finish their daily or weekly on Ilum, try actually killing them and not let them get their turn-ins. I know! crazy thought actually killing Rebs or Imperials and making it harder for them to do their Ilum quests. Crazy Stuff there!

Also, you knew harvesting and fishing were not in the game; why bitch about it?

Not everyone SHOULD buy an SSD just to have better load times,  SSDs are insanely expensive, and even though I have one, and it does improve my load times quite a bit,  I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy one unless they have extra money lying around. 

The fleets are bustling with players, but pretty lifeless otherwise. I'd much rather be in a hub on Coruscant then on a fleet ship somewhere -- and thats saying something as Coruscant is pretty cold,  but not nearly as cold as the fleet.   In fact, I'd rather them place both hubs on a place where both factions reside, with a lot of high level content so you don't have to constantly zone in and out to do something... its just a very sterile feel, how they have it now.

The problem with factions letting eachother just get whatever they want on ilum is,  killing the opposing faction isn't necessary.  This will be remedied by 1.1,  but not enough IMO.   They need much stronger territory control points, and stronger incentives then just dailies.   Stronger incentives for world PvP in general,  and more places to world PvP.

I think where they went wrong with world PvP is they though just a little would be enough... and by not really bringing both factions together in the early levels will discourage griefing....  but instead it kills the "danger" feeling you get when playing on a PvP server.    I don't think they just tacked on the open world PvP... I think they really spent some time thinking through things,  but what they came up with was counterproductive.   1.1 is a step in the right direction,  but it will still need work.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by insanejosh

Not feeling like addressing and defending against the other points in your post (because I very well could: my pc set-up is by no means sub-par to make just one point), but you actually have a good point here.

So that's exactly what I am going to do right now. Ganking the living shit out anyone daring to lay their rocket launchers on ma tanks and challenging any fellow empireling who complains about it to a duel. (i.e. "Legal, on the spot execution by an Imperial Inteligence Officer for conspiring with the enemy for personal gain").

!!!

Hope this will help.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

The poor game design choices made by developers will sink this game in a hole so deep it will take the force of F2P to get it out of there.

For me it took only 1 week to decide i was never going to buy this game...thats how long it took to see players get to max level cap...what a bad bad bad baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad game design choice. Now the game has many many players at max level and waiting for new content to play it through...

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

I feel you dude. I can't put my finger on what exactly is missing but someone in another post was talking about the technicals were thought out etc but there was no "love" or "inspiration" included in the game. Kinda like warhammer. It is just missing the "hook".

It's a decent game. It's somewhat fun. It has that new car smell. It's all shiny but even when they add things or change up pvp in general (which is terrible imo) ...the "flow" just isn't there. Are you on the edge of your seat breaking a sweat fighting that nemesis character class? Yeah me either. PvP is click click move click snare kill or die. Repeat. Huttball is fun but not enough to sub for. World PVP in a themepark will never have any type of meaning and consequence. Stop looking for it. These games nowadays can't even get the illusion of meaning down. Total waste of expectation. If it can be fun at all its a plus at this point. And it isn't :(

I like the ships, I like the crafting. I like the companions. I like the stories but I don't LOVE any of it. When I log on I feel like I am loggin in becasue I simply have nothing better to do at the moment. I did yard work that didn't really need doing today out of boredom and now I am on here posting instead of logging in.....................yeah I don't think I am going to make it long term either and I really wanted this game to be something to sink my teeth into :(

I wont play WoW. I would rather just find another hobby or just not have a hobby than play that pos anymore. I still play eve cause it's eve. But eve is like a ferrari. I still need a chevy to get to work everyday. Bioware played it far to safe. The stories are cool but the game itself is like a Geo Metro or something dull and unispiring. I think people are looking for a Corvette or at least a Camaro.

What sucks is this game is being looked at inside the industry to judge the sub model of games vs. FTP garbage and the future etc. Is wow's numbers just a phenomenon and cannot be repeated etc. Its not a sub problem. It's a design philosophy and player expectation problem. Not a monetization problem. IF your game doesn't suck it will make money if it's FTP or sub based or a rippoff of both etc. Key point. Don't make a game that sucks/bores people to tears and you will make money.

I am still hoping GW2 doesn't dissapoint but it is soooo overhyped who knows how that will play out. And then there is Archage which is my last hope. I don't care about The Secret Fail. It's Funcom. Of course there is Mechwarrior Online coming up as well but that is going to be FTP so no great faith there.

:( Blah time for a new hobby.

• I've also grown a bit bored with the game. I think it's a good game but I just think WoW is a better one for various reasons.

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Dude, they haven't even done the first content update. 

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Well, good luck with the remainder of your time in TOR. Maybe some patch will come along and do wonders for the longevity of this game. My hat of to you for coming out here and writing what you wrote after having defended it so fiercely for so long. You don't regret spending the money, so all is good even if it could (should) be even better.

imageimage
  • BlackdefBlackdef Member UncommonPosts: 55

Originally posted by Catulus

Originally posted by Blackdef

Originally posted by melton80

Sadly this is how games are since WoW, games are all about instant gratification nowadays and if someone can't get max level in a month the game is somehow considered crap, but on the other hand the game ends up being crap cause the same people that rushed to end-game say there is not enough end-game for them, so it is a lose lose when it comes to these kinda players. Back when i played EQ getting half a level or even a level in a day was an accomplishment, but now we get these new generation of gamers that want everything to be soloable, easy, and fast to level. It is the WoW generation that has ruined MMOs with their wanting games to be just as easy as WoW (which is extremely easy to play) and instant end-game gratification, not to mention the ability to solo all content, cause if it is too hard it needs to be nerfed.

Nail On The Head, Remember DAOC and mini Dings?  you get half a lvl in 3 days without play 24 hrs and you felt like you won the lotto after 45, Most posters and MMOers of today or raised by breast milk cry babies

Rarely post (forum lurker), but have to respond to this. I have been seeing this mentality everywhere. Would people please stop blaming the so-called 'WOW generation' for the state of MMOs? My first MMO was EQ2, then WOW. I'm definately not of this mythical we-want-it easy crowd. I'm not convinced it exists. Did everyone else, but me who started MMOs after that 'wonderful golden age' of EQ/SWG/UO/DAOC etc. get some sort of survey where all the developers sent out spam emails: do you want us to make cookie-cutter easy mmos for eternity and they answer yes en masse? What nonsense.

So once some people are done yelling 'get off my lawn' at those damn young-un's can we turn the blame to where it really belongs, those MMO developers who have refused to do practically anything different since WOW?

Oh, and on topic: couldn't even get to lvl 40. Expected a MMO with a story aspect added on. Was utterly amazed at how Bioware managed to fail so spectacularly at the MM part. The UI was awkward and unwieldy, and apparently having health bars actually displayed the correct health in raid frames would make playing a healer far to easy /sarcasm. The warfronts are dire (no Bioware lvl 50 should not fight lvl 10s...) Barely met more than four players at once on any leveling planet. I knew it wouldn't be a long term game for me (seemed to generic), but I expected to at least last more than two weeks.

LOL Really its not a blame WoW, but if you look back at what they SO call innovation from that list of mmo to wow, WoW was the mmo that made it instance gratification, which made it such a succuss, it was easy, made it very accessable for the everyday player, which inturn made it a boat load of money in which, now that companys seen that it wasnt a nich product and real money could be made from it they inturn tried to copy it sucess, hench the clones that you see now, everythings been tried and done, people who want freedom, go look at FE, that failed cause it was different from wow, and all you hear is "im going back to wow", so what do you want them to do? they have to make a profit, i dont blame the devlopers, i blame the masses!

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Everybody and their grandmother has spoken out about the lack of "fun" endgame content.

The writing was on the wall since launch. This is why people were warned not to level to 50 fast. It's not like this was a big surprise. Hell even with my own MMO experience, even I know getting to max level within a month after official release is a really bad idea regardless of the game.

I play daily and for many hours at a time since release. I have a level 41, 33, 24 and a level 10 and that's on the sith side alone. Needless to say I'm taking my time doing everything I can in between to max crafting and affection for companions to see their storylines too.

I get that some people don't like to play alts. Some have planned what character to play since beta and wanted to complete the story for it first only to be disappointed with what's left. I have to say your choice in how you play MMOs and your lack of interest in exploring everything a MMO has to offer Is partly the reason why you are left being bored and disillisioned with the game. If your main goal was endgame then I don't feel sorry for you. Regardless if you enjoyed the journey to your destination

Now to touch on some of the other things mentioned I can only agree. The game lacks any kind of interesting and fun downtime activity to keep things interesting. I also agree the loading and traveling between planets with having to travel in your personal ship and then running to a shuttle only to see loading screens again to be very annoying. I'm also not a big fan of hub based MMOs. Those are big minuses in my book too but I still enjoy playing the game for what it is. That may change when I hit 50 someday. I still have the whole other faction to play with before that happens.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Axxar

I've also grown a bit bored with the game. I think it's a good game but I just think WoW is a better one for various reasons.

Maybe because is 7 years old?, people need to learn to be patient. 1.1 is a great update for the pvpers, and is just the 1st one, they are working in long term objetives for ilum, loot and more rewards for opvp, ranked warzones (i dont really like that), new warzones and rvr planets and more.  Most of the issues that you find now, will be fixed and improved, like the ui, space combat, etc etc etc and more etc. QQing about the endgame when u have the same things to do than any other MMO in the market, even more than any other MMO at launch before, did you remember rift, Aion, AoC, WoW, War etc.  People like me, who can see the potential of the game and have the patient to wait for the updates (like 1.1), will be rewarded with even a better game, i dont need to wait a lot, again 1st content patch inc in less than a mounth after launch, and the next big one, is in march.  Still the  ¨i quit %¨ in swtort is very low, and bioware is getting new players everyday, where most of the swtor population is not even 50 yet. 

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by WikingDK

The same story always. Every game have it. People rush to max level, and then complai. The game is a few months old, and off course the game have to devolope over time. 

Why is you allready lvl 50? maybe enjoy the game instead. Take some days off sometimes.

I have played since launch, and I just dinged 20 today. 

Not even one month yet unless you count the pre-order days.

Been playing the whole month.. only at 27 with my main. Take some breaks people. There's another mmo to play once in a while called real life out there.

• Originally posted by hikaru77

I've also grown a bit bored with the game. I think it's a good game but I just think WoW is a better one for various reasons.

the  ¨i quit %¨ in swtort is very low, and bioware is getting new players everyday, where most of the swtor population is not even 50 yet. 

The free month isn't even up. How can you know the "i quit" percentage is low when it doesn't even exist yet? Also I didn't say I was quitting.

• Originally posted by Logos1326

Been playing the whole month.. only at 27 with my main. Take some breaks people. There's another mmo to play once in a while called real life out there.

some people can't do anything else. i took a det in iraq and am stuck in one spot all day every day. my back was jacked up and can barely move. not everyone is able to just run around whenever they feel like it.

level cap in that amount of time isn't hard either. you don't need to clock in 14 hour days to do it.

Originally posted by hikaru77

the  ¨i quit %¨ in swtort is very low, and bioware is getting new players everyday, where most of the swtor population is not even 50 yet. 

The free month isn't even up. How can you know the "i quit" percentage is low when it doesn't even exist yet? Also I didn't say I was quitting.

Why would people wait until the free month is up if they don't like the game. That makes no sense to me. I'm not going to finish a meal that taste like shit just because I want my moneys worth. I will toss it out imidiately. Is there something here I'm not getting?

Originally posted by Daddydazzle

Originally posted by Logos1326

some people can't do anything else. i took a det in iraq and am stuck in one spot all day every day. my back was jacked up and can barely move. not everyone is able to just run around whenever they feel like it.

level cap in that amount of time isn't hard either. you don't need to clock in 14 hour days to do it.

Depends on playstyles. If you focus on one character you can do it a lot faster. Some people just don't like playing alts. Even if you do have 1 alt you can still hit max relatively fast. In case of SWTOR you really have to play both sides and at least have 3 or 4 alts to drag it out because the levelling curve is too fast for my liking. If somebody doesn't find interest in anything but one or two then reaching endgame will happen sooner rather than later. Again.. I can't feel sorry for such a person. Their own gamestyle causes a reoccuring problem for them, because lets face it. Games today have fast levelling curves and rarly any endgame content outside grinding for dailies.

They are going to have this problem in future games too