Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confusing rating system.

Hello, 

I'm new to mmorpg.com - also not very experienced at mmorpgs themselves. 

Theres something I don't like about mmorpg.com , the rating system.

There are tons of games which are rated from 7.0 to 8.0 ... sounds like all of those games are pretty good, ha ? I tried a few of them and i have to say that the few I tried were ... well ... one word , bad ! It's confusing for newbies like me. There are a view reviews from other users, but these reviews aren't helpful at all. The rating system isn't helpful too.

But what would be helpful ? Reviews from players who actually played this game longer then a few day's. It would take some time and work to write a good review, but it would be helpful. 

A review of the game and some informations about the player. That would be perfect.

Is this idea possible ?

PS: I'm looking for a new mmorpg - please visit my post in the LFG Forum.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4683732/thread/338047#4683732

Thank you.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is same on most sites and most magazines since the last 15 years or so. In the 80s games actually got scores like 2/10 and 15% in reviews but not anymore even if they suck as much.

The trick is to subtract 5 from the value and see it as out of 5 instead. It usually is spot on then.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I have to agree with Loke666.  Most formal/official review now don't seem to be worth the time it takes to read them.

I have taken to actively hunting down some decent player reviews than tell me what's bad about the game before i try it out.  Not easy to do as most player reviews seem to come from fans and just ape the advertising coming from the game developers/publisher and if you're looking at trying the game there's a good chance you'll already now what they say anyway.(not that this is limited to mmo's)

I think you're stuck like the rest of us and going to be trying a lot games that you aren't going to like.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Karahandras

I have to agree with Loke666.  Most formal/official review now don't seem to be worth the time it takes to read them.

I have taken to actively hunting down some decent player reviews than tell me what's bad about the game before i try it out.  Not easy to do as most player reviews seem to come from fans and just ape the advertising coming from the game developers/publisher and if you're looking at trying the game there's a good chance you'll already now what they say anyway.(not that this is limited to mmo's)

I think you're stuck like the rest of us and going to be trying a lot games that you aren't going to like.

There are as many from haters as well. The ones that have both good and bad stuff usually are most reliable, those people seems to be able to see both side of the coin at least. If anything is only positive or negative it really reflect the truth.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

You can write your own user reviews using our user features system.