Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Only Reason This Game MIGHT get players is....

The Only Reason This Game MIGHT get players is....because its based on lord or the rings! DUH! Without a pvp this game is gonna be crap. PLUS IT SAYS YOU FREAKIN CANT BE EVIL YOU HAVE TO BE GOOD!! This game has great potential but without a pvp, or being evil, this game will only get carebears who think the mmorpgs are all about playing a game without any danger of being killed so they can go beat the game without interferance. The game could be very interesting...but i cant stand killing npcs all day!!! I want to be an a urak-hai and see an elf and kill him with my heavy armor with my friends riding on wargs behind me backing me up as an army of Gondor soildiers are trying to stop me!!! If the game was GOOD vr EVIL pvp that would be awsome. elves, dwarves, humans, hobbits, and istari would be good and the orcs, trolls, uraks, humans, and all the other weird creatures would be evil!!! (humans would have the choice to be good or evil and dwarves and elves should be able to go to war as orcs and urak-hai should be aable to fight).
This game could have endless opportunities.......if only....it....had pvp!!!!

I DONT PLAN ON PLAYING THIS GAME W/O a PVP

Comments

• nomad001nomad001 Member Posts: 3

you took the words outa my mouth.

I wanted to try this game out.....but no pvp no nomad

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Good...good.

Two more simpletons I won't see in-game.

• majochmajoch Member Posts: 599
    PvP is not the end all to beat all and a carebear environment may curtail a lot of the headache that comes from two different types of gamers/mindsets playing on a server where Tolkien fans want to enjoy the world the way they envisioned it.
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by knightknife

The Only Reason This Game MIGHT get players is....because its based on lord or the rings! DUH! Without a pvp this game is gonna be crap. PLUS IT SAYS YOU FREAKIN CANT BE EVIL YOU HAVE TO BE GOOD!! This game has great potential but without a pvp, or being evil, this game will only get carebears who think the mmorpgs are all about playing a game without any danger of being killed so they can go beat the game without interferance. The game could be very interesting...but i cant stand killing npcs all day!!! I want to be an a urak-hai and see an elf and kill him with my heavy armor with my friends riding on wargs behind me backing me up as an army of Gondor soildiers are trying to stop me!!! If the game was GOOD vr EVIL pvp that would be awsome. elves, dwarves, humans, hobbits, and istari would be good and the orcs, trolls, uraks, humans, and all the other weird creatures would be evil!!! (humans would have the choice to be good or evil and dwarves and elves should be able to go to war as orcs and urak-hai should be aable to fight).

If you want to live out your Tolkien fantasies, make a cape out of a pillowcase and fly to Greenland and pretend your frodo. Let's judge the game AFTER it comes out. Also I'm glad you won't be playing if you think that PvP is the solution to a good game.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162

I have a suspicion that you have never actually sat down and read The Lord of the Rings. If you had you would know that the evil characters in the book were controlled by Sauron and didn't have any freewill of their own. In order to play an evil character like an Uruk or a troll or goblin, that character would have to have some degree of control which it doesn't. As for PvP, well I never really got in to it that much and I won't miss it. I'm more of a roleplayer anyway. It for those people like me that this game is catering to. Those who want to experience the world of Tolkien more so than anything else. I'll give you the same advice that I give everyone else who badmouths this game before it's even released. If you don't like it, no one it putting a gun to your head to buy or play it. There are and will be plenty of other MMORPG's out that that you can play that will suit your playing tastes better than LOTR. I suggest you find one and leave Middle-earth alone. 
  • Kud-DukanKud-Dukan Member Posts: 34
    knightknife, if you think the game is going to flop, well that's fine.  The more people who only do PvP that we get rid of for this game, the better.  But if you took some time and looked at the official forums, there are almost 100,000 people registered.  Obviously they are doing something right...
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by darquenblade
    Good...good.

Lol, well said Darque. However I do think it was a rather large mistake for then not to allow people to be Ork or goblin or any of the dark forces of middle earth. They could have made it like EQ 2, with both sides. Which would have been sweet.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by keltic1701
    The Only Reason This Game MIGHT get players is....because its based on lord or the rings! DUH! Without a pvp this game is gonna be crap. PLUS IT SAYS YOU FREAKIN CANT BE EVIL YOU HAVE TO BE GOOD!! This game has great potential but without a pvp, or being evil, this game will only get carebears who think the mmorpgs are all about playing a game without any danger of being killed so they can go beat the game without interferance. The game could be very interesting...but i cant stand killing npcs all day!!! I want to be an a urak-hai and see an elf and kill him with my heavy armor with my friends riding on wargs behind me backing me up as an army of Gondor soildiers are trying to stop me!!! If the game was GOOD vr EVIL pvp that would be awsome. elves, dwarves, humans, hobbits, and istari would be good and the orcs, trolls, uraks, humans, and all the other weird creatures would be evil!!! (humans would have the choice to be good or evil and dwarves and elves should be able to go to war as orcs and urak-hai should be aable to fight). This game could have endless opportunities.......if only....it....had pvp!!!!
    I DONT PLAN ON PLAYING THIS GAME W/O a PVPI have a suspicion that you have never actually sat down and read The Lord of the Rings. If you had you would know that the evil characters in the book were controlled by Sauron and didn't have any freewill of their own. In order to play an evil character like an Uruk or a troll or goblin, that character would have to have some degree of control which it doesn't. As for PvP, well I never really got in to it that much and I won't miss it. I'm more of a roleplayer anyway. It for those people like me that this game is catering to. Those who want to experience the world of Tolkien more so than anything else. I'll give you the same advice that I give everyone else who badmouths this game before it's even released. If you don't like it, no one it putting a gun to your head to buy or play it. There are and will be plenty of other MMORPG's out that that you can play that will suit your playing tastes better than LOTR. I suggest you find one and leave Middle-earth alone.

That doesn't mean they can't make them playable. What your saying would be "free will" could have appeared to be the will of Sauron. I think they could have made his forces playable and still kept in the spirit of the books via missions and incentives.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• Kud-DukanKud-Dukan Member Posts: 34

That doesn't mean they can't make them playable. What your saying would be "free will" could have appeared to be the will of Sauron. I think they could have made his forces playable and still kept in the spirit of the books via missions and incentives.

Yes, but where would the "evil" races live?  In the inital release, they would have to be restricted to the Misty Mountains, small parts of the land, and MAYBE the northern borders.  Having Orcs taking over Imladris, Bree, and the Shire would completely mess up the lore of Middle-Earth.

The only time the evil races would ever have a place to call their own would be when Mordor is released, and that is many years off (2009 or 2010 if we are lucky).

Originally posted by Kud-Dukan
    Yes, but where would the "evil" races live? In the inital release, they would have to be restricted to the Misty Mountains, small parts of the land, and MAYBE the northern borders. Having Orcs taking over Imladris, Bree, and the Shire would completely mess up the lore of Middle-Earth.
    The only time the evil races would ever have a place to call their own would be when Mordor is released, and that is many years off (2009 or 2010 if we are lucky).

Didn't you ever play DAoC or EQ II? They can have their own lands just fine and enjoy the game in their own area's. And actually trek the map over to the shire or wherever else.

- Scaris

• AFOTAIAFOTAI Member Posts: 2

[quote]
    If you want to live out your Tolkien fantasies, make a cape out of a pillowcase and fly to Greenland and pretend your frodo. Let's judge the game AFTER it comes out. Also I'm glad you won't be playing if you think that PvP is the solution to a good game.[/b][/quote]

Quoted for truth!

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

If Turbine can make the game intresting enough, with say NPC raids and such then the game wont need PvP.

Ive already seen one NPC raid in the E3 video, so id say its a distinct possibility.

Being able to explore old Gondorian ruins or mabey even go into Angmar, perhaps even spending a day in the Tower Hills, visiting Tom Bombadil and exploring the Old Forest and other such things has me already hooked on this game.

• heypengyheypengy Member Posts: 3
    Heck yes LOD is awesoome
  • DoctorSoupDoctorSoup Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by darquenblade

Good...good.

Yea people think PvP is entirely too important.  You don't need pvp to have a good game the game could be much better in whole now that it doesn't the single player could be extremely well put together.

Thanks

• PykePyke Member Posts: 7

I have a suspicion that you have never actually sat down and read The Lord of the Rings. If you had you would know that the evil characters in the book were controlled by Sauron and didn't have any freewill of their own. In order to play an evil character like an Uruk or a troll or goblin, that character would have to have some degree of control which it doesn't.

So what your saying is the Rohirrim werent controlled by Theoden/Eomer. What about the Gondor soldiers... did they come and go as they please?
  • DoctorSoupDoctorSoup Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by Pyke

I have a suspicion that you have never actually sat down and read The Lord of the Rings. If you had you would know that the evil characters in the book were controlled by Sauron and didn't have any freewill of their own. In order to play an evil character like an Uruk or a troll or goblin, that character would have to have some degree of control which it doesn't.

So what your saying is the Rohirrim werent controlled by Theoden/Eomer. What about the Gondor soldiers... did they come and go as they please?

I think he means that the orcs were under some kind of mind control maybe, not quite sure that could be what he means.  As for the men you said they were commanded by them not controlled.

Thanks

• BladinBladin Member UncommonPosts: 1,089

nobody will miss you.

• orabasorabas Member Posts: 19

I've never been a great fan of LotR's as i've only watched the movies once and never read the books but i'm still looking forward to playing this game as the graphics look awesome.

I'm not sure what the situation is about PvP right now but from what i have read PvP won't be in the game. A lot of things change in game with updates i mean from what i can remember SWG (starwars Galaxies) started the game without transport except creatures so really whatever the game starts off with will more than likely over time change. I'm not the biggest fan of PvP as i just like to roam around and see what the game has to offer but i'm sure that PvP will soon come into LotR's.

• ScuurScuur Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by orabas

I've never been a great fan of LotR's as i've only watched the movies once and never read the books but i'm still looking forward to playing this game as the graphics look awesome.

I'm not sure what the situation is about PvP right now but from what i have read PvP won't be in the game. A lot of things change in game with updates i mean from what i can remember SWG (starwars Galaxies) started the game without transport except creatures so really whatever the game starts off with will more than likely over time change. I'm not the biggest fan of PvP as i just like to roam around and see what the game has to offer but i'm sure that PvP will soon come into LotR's.

They will probably will not be PvP as is normal in other mmo's because of the fact it would break the lore to much.  TE (tolkien Enterprises) will say no to PvP in the streets of bree/rivendel (or anywhere else for that matter). The official word is that there is a little gap in the system
    http://lotro.turbine.com/index.php?page_id=70 (somewhere down from the middle). I for one are happy with the PvP being gone.
  • RammurRammur Member Posts: 575

as much as i like PvP,PvP isnt what makes a MMORPG at all its the epic scale and the funfactor.All game cater to diffrent players prefered choices while the game may not be liked by pvpers which are like 20% of the gamer populations the game will have plenty of players.Most game like this the bigs one almost always start out non pvp and work their ways into it.Wanna pvp go play counterstrike or something.

• JarydJaryd Member Posts: 62

I am glad they will not allow PvP.  People who have to have it so they can ruin someone elses enjoyment need real life help. Superiority in the game environment will not compensate you for your lack of real life worth.

Oh Yes  I do PvP myself.  But I can take it or leave it. More leave it than take. But giving up on a game before any judgements can be made just because of a lack of PvP ...............  sad IMO

• RammurRammur Member Posts: 575
    LoTR's looks like its gonna be a rpg based game for once and if it is your see a huge player base and a mature one at that which i really hoping it will be.